Late 60 PS Box in Early 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ60Seth

SILVER Star
Threads
The early (square bolt pattern) FJ60 power steering gear boxes are getting hard to find. Has anyone installed a late 60, or early 80 steering box, in an early 60? The challenge is that the bolt pattern is different, and the nuts are welded inside the frame. I have good fab skills and I want to do this right the first time.

The early (square bolt pattern) FJ60 power steering gear boxes are getting hard to find. Has anyone installed a late 60, or early 80 steering box, in an early 60? The challenge is that the bolt pattern is different, and the nuts are welded inside the frame. I have good fab skills and I want to do this right the first time.

@NookShneer has a early box first off.

Since the frame is boxed and the holes are sleeved all the way through, the 'nicest' way I could picture it is to cut out that section, weld in new sleeves and outer plate. Grind and paint.

I have added a PS box from an 85 to a non PS frame. It had sleeves thought the frame and had long bolts and nuts. I had to drill out one hole a little to make up the difference, but it wasn't enough to remove the whole sleeve.

I have an earlier 60 box. I sourced an earlier 80 box when I had mine re-built. I think I read a few years back that someone used a later 60/62/80 mounting pattern and used slightly thinner bolts on the 2 offset corners.

I tried looking for the thread a while back and wasn’t able to find it.

I don’t have an older box on hand to match it up to see if that would work.

I don't think the nuts are welded to the frame.
early boxes aren't difficult to find, have you posted a wanted thread? there are 3 of them on my shelf in MT
there are pics I posted in this thread: Steering Box year

I'm thinking using smaller bolts is asking for trouble and would not do it.

I don't think the nuts are welded to the frame.
early boxes aren't difficult to find, have you posted a wanted thread? there are 3 of them on my shelf in MT
there are pics I posted in this thread: Steering Box year

I'm thinking using smaller bolts is asking for trouble and would not do it.

You are correct, the nuts aren't welded. Just a sleeved passthrough in the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom