Noobie question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to learn / read about all the different 70 series variants. Is there one recommended site or document?

Turbo diesel, convertible, swb, manual with factory ac.

Thank you.

Last edited:
There are several 70 Series owners in the Olde North State Cruisers Club. Perhaps reach out to them. There is no substitute for seeing, touching the real thing.

Thanks. Touched and ridden in them. Trying to decipher which one to buy.

So many variations.

Last edited:
I would start by deciding what body type you want then narrow it down from there as there are MANY iterations of them.

Short Wheel Base: SWB, BJ70 etc

Medium Wheel Base: MWB, BJ73,BJ74, HZJ73 etc

Long Wheel Base: LWB: Troopys, HZJ75, HZJ77, 78 series etc

Pickup style?
Troopy?
Removable top/FRP top?
Soft top?

Left Hand Drive, Right hand drive?
Diesel? Turbo Diesel? Gas?
12v? 24volt?
Coil sprung? Leaf sprung?

If you have an idea of what body style you like we can help narrow down to some models the are easier to research.

This thread is a good idea of whats available in the US and what models/numbers etc.
U.S. 70's Registration.

Daughter wants short wheelbase, manual with ac. Gas or diesel.

I want her to get mwb with manual, diesel, ac and the roof comes off.

Checking this site, www.ooyyo.com

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Daughter wants short wheelbase, manual with ac. Gas or diesel.

I want her to get mwb with manual, diesel, ac and the roof comes off.

Your choice is better. It rides nicer on road and off road. Although the roof does come off, you need the special soft top doors. There is also 60 nuts and bolts involved. Its not really like a vehicle that can be changed to suit the weather on a daily basis.
One of the big pluses is that the windscreen frame which often rusts out can be replaced by merely unbolting it and fitting a new one. Another benefit is the roof being FRP does not rust and this is where the SWB rusts badly.
A HZJ73 is IMO the best of best unless you need the extra room.

As a daily driver for a female , I'm not sure that's a good idea. It is truck like in handling, the gears shift is heavy. The brakes when functioning correctly are adequate, but not much more.
I use to drive mine on a daily basis, but when I bought a car, it became the daily driver and the MWB was for weekends.
I have been driving landcruisers for work and pleasure since the 80s

Last edited:
Your choice is better. It rides nicer on road and off road. Although the roof does come off, you need the special soft top doors. There is also 60 nuts and bolts involved. Its not really like a vehicle that can be changed to suit the weather on a daily basis.
One of the big pluses is that the windscreen frame which often rusts out can be replaced by merely unbolting it and fitting a new one. Another benefit is the roof being FRP does not rust and this is where the SWB rusts badly.
A HZJ73 is IMO the best of best unless you need the extra room.

As a daily driver for a female , I'm not sure that's a good idea. It is truck like in handling, the gears shift is heavy. The brakes when functioning correctly are adequate, but not much more.
I use to drive mine on a daily basis, but when I bought a car, it became the daily driver and the MWB was for weekends.
I have been driving landcruisers for work and pleasure since the 80s

Thank you.

I agree on the DD. We will trade off quite a bit. She can drive my modded 2004 100 series when she doesn't drive the 73. She wanted a 40, but they are so expensive now. Back and forth to school, neighborhood streets, 2.6 miles away.

I really appreciate the feedback. The mid wheelbase seems ideal.

In my opinion, a 70 rides so much better with the coil front end. Also, the models with a coil front end had a longer rear leaf spring than the 75s which made the ride comfort better again. You won't have to worry about a speeding ticket in a 70 either.

In my opinion, a 70 rides so much better with the coil front end. Also, the models with a coil front end had a longer rear leaf spring than the 75s which made the ride comfort better again. .

True, but Americans cant import them until they are 25 years old. So they will have to wait until 2024. I think the MWB and SWB still had the old length till 2004 and I think only the 79 series got the longer spring. The 78 series was still a 75 series with a coil front. The 79 series stretched the chassis 100mm, but I could be wrong on that.

Keep in mind, you can't legally import and drive, for personal use, a factory front coiled heavy duty (ie non-Prado) 70 series. The front coil sprung HD 70s started in '99. There's always the option of swapping to a coil front but it's a bit of work.

Rear was and is always leaf sprung from the factory.

Or go full bat**** and swap a 80 series frame/suspension under one...

Thanks. Touched and ridden in them. Trying to decipher which one to buy.

So many variations.
Are you going to the Christmas party at the barn? I will try to make it there with my 77 (though it is serving duty as my hunting cr-p storage container at the moment) ....

I may be biased, but I say BJ74, or HZJ73. 2 door, removable top, better ride than a SWB.
You can always buy a minivan, I mean 4 door cruiser later on in life :rofl:

Perfect Daily driver for a short commute:

sc0516-243163_1@2x.jpg

As for top off, you can always remove the rear doors and put a net or fab a tailgate. You can also get a custom bikini top for pretty cheap.

Whatever you do, don’t go backwards in technology. Get the newest legal 7x series your wallet can afford.

Buying an LJ or a BJ iteration is a waste of money at this juncture when so many better engine/transmission options are available.

Whatever you do, don’t go backwards in technology. Get the newest legal 7x series your wallet can afford.

Buying an LJ or a BJ iteration is a waste of money at this juncture when so many better engine/transmission options are available.

Have to disagree with you here as a Euro spec LJ with the 2LT has literally no issues mecanically and drives much more comfortable then any leaf sprung 7x. If you need to pull 7000 pound trailers or want to upgrade to 37" tires I would go for anything with a 1HZ but for the use I see the people actually doing nothing better then a light duty ! KZJ would even be better and again lhd Euro spec to avoid all the emission crap and electronic fuel management that the JDM versions have , if rust is a deal braker look in Spain plenty of nice examples to be found.

@lazylfarm ..... "You can always buy a minivan, I mean 4 door cruiser later on in life." :rofl:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that's actually funny. :)

I would say do not dismiss the -70 just because it is the shortest. The one I had drove just as bouncy, or maybe less, than my current ute, which is the long wheel base. The plus to the 70 is the hard top, unless you get the soft top, and negative is the small space behind the rear seat, but I took the rear seat out since I never had anyone sit back there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom