Roof Rack Hammock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Put this together previous weekend, didn’t have a lot of time so I missed a few key points. All aluminum bc I don’t like rust, capacity of around 400lbs, it handled 300lbs without a flinch. It takes about 2 minutes or less to set up and take down.

0934B677-9E77-407F-9F9C-48A4078EB020.jpeg

Love it.

I was thinking today about something similar: roof top tarp.

Thanks, after I put it on the rack, I found some other ideas to make it better. Unfortunately I ran out of tubes and 1/2” plates to make a second one.

I absolutely love that idea. Now figure out the canopy part of it and you are in business. It ALWAYS rains when I break out the hammock. I made a rainfly out of Tyvek modeled after the Eno design (shamelessly outlined a tarp, cut the Tyvek, and returned the tarp).

It'll make that pre-dawn run to the trees interesting.
My luck I'd fall out of it. LOL

I absolutely love that idea. Now figure out the canopy part of it and you are in business. It ALWAYS rains when I break out the hammock. I made a rainfly out of Tyvek modeled after the Eno design (shamelessly outlined a tarp, cut the Tyvek, and returned the tarp).
Check out the Hennessy Hammock

Where do I buy one :D?? But for real that thing is awesome and if you want to sell them I'll buy one.

Haha, I would have to order more material if you want one, not sure how shipping will work out.

Regarding the tarp or rain fly, the arms are extendable so if hook up the hammock a bit lower, you can hang the fly on top of the arm.

I'm looking for a tent for a hammock right now, and I find your idea pretty cool for placing it. By the way, I still can't choose the right option for me. I'm choosing from several variants: Rain Fly Evolution Bug Net or Foxelli Rain Tarp. Now, when I saw your roof top tarp, I'm thinking to do something like this either, but which type of tent would be better in that case, which mount is better for such case?

Last edited:
I had a Clark Jungle hammock NX 250 or something like that. There is a new version of this that is water proof without the rain fly. Price is around $450 though.

Really cool!
Not quite the same since mine isn't on the roof but also has a quick setup/take down. I've used mine as my bed several times when I'm solo on trips and it's been great. Anyway, the roof one looks awesome but I thought I'd share this for another idea for those looking at the thread.
IMG_2706 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2707 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2708 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2705 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2702 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
Very nice, this was extremely high on my list until I was given a proper RTT. I still want to do this for the kids though. Nicely executed!!

Put this together previous weekend, didn’t have a lot of time so I missed a few key points. All aluminum bc I don’t like rust, capacity of around 400lbs, it handled 300lbs without a flinch. It takes about 2 minutes or less to set up and take down.

View attachment 1832799
Not sure how I missed this! I was actually kicking around this very idea and posted up about it a couple of years back. Did you end up selling these? How has it worked out in the long run? Great job!

Pretty cool.

Consideration:

No fun in the desert. You'll need to find a really tall tree for shade.
If you wake up and have to pee, it's going to suck.

Pretty cool.

Consideration:

No fun in the desert. You'll need to find a really tall tree for shade.
If you wake up and have to pee, it's going to suck.

Indeed. I have spent five weeks straight sleeping out of my hammock in Baja. I could mount mine on either side of the truck but usually went side with awning. Used truck often to block wind.

Cheers

Not sure how I missed this! I was actually kicking around this very idea and posted up about it a couple of years back. Did you end up selling these? How has it worked out in the long run? Great job!

It works great, I actually went into a parking garage and slammed the s*** out of it on one of the beams. Clearance said 8.5' but that was only on the first floor, no signs for the second floor. I was also in a hurry and completely forgot i had that mounted up there. Hahaha
It got a good banging, bent my roof rack, but the hammock stand had a few scratches on it and one bent leg mounted to the roof rack.
I took it off because i had to pick up a James Baroud XXL for $1500, it was such a good deal that i kept the RTT on the truck :D
Anyways, i still have the hammock mount, but unfortunately my truck and RTT was burnt up after a really fun incident on the freeway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom