Whatcha Tucking Away in Those Drawers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Orange Hat

SILVER Star
Threads
With my ARB drawers going in this weekend, I’m super excited to start filling them up but it got me wondering what you all would consider the basics? I know a lot depends on intended use but either way, there has to be some things that are consistently carried (e.g. first aid kit, tools, etc).

To christen the drawers, I have an ARB tire deflator on order as item #1. And no, I don’t have the compressor...yet! :)

Only have one drawer (its a custom Goose Gear setup) but in that drawer: ARB tire repair kit with extra cement/Colby and standard stems, 5.11 6x10 pouch for ARB airline and inflator with the ARB deflator stowed on top, a second pouch (same size) with basic tools, jumper cables, gloves, small squeejee, gloves, heater pack, lighter and firestarter, 5.11 IFAK pouch with a blowout kit and tourniquet, shears, ratchet straps, flashlight and a few other oddities. Phew!

This is an older pic, there's been a few changes since... I should take a new one.

Ok, and everything is held mostly in its place with a TrekPak system.

XPLORR_GooseGear-2.jpg

Only have one drawer (its a custom Goose Gear setup) but in that drawer: ARB tire repair kit with extra cement/Colby and standard stems, 5.11 6x10 pouch for ARB airline and inflator with the ARB deflator stowed on top, a second pouch (same size) with basic tools, jumper cables, gloves, small squeejee, gloves, heater pack, lighter and firestarter, 5.11 IFAK pouch with a blowout kit and tourniquet, shears, ratchet straps, flashlight and a few other oddities. Phew!

This is an older pic, there's been a few changes since... I should take a new one.

Ok, and everything is held mostly in its place with a TrekPak system.

View attachment 1832853
GREAT and thanks...exactly what I was hoping to read (a list) and see (pics). :clap:

I do have what I think is a pretty effective system in my drawers, but right now they are out and empty while I completely re-do my cargo area, wiring, etc.

The general idea for me is to put all my heaviest gear in the drawers. Tools, recovery, etc. It’s the safest, lowest GOG in your truck, so ai feel they may as well be fully used. Also, the side for storage area can hold a ton too.

@indycole website/blog has a good section on the recovery gear you might want to include

@indycole website/blog has a good section on the recovery gear you might want to include
I’ll check that out...I’m pretty sure I actually have that saved somewhere. Thanks!

I absolutely love my ARB drawers. I have so much stuff in them. And it seems like every time I am stopped somewhere (transfer station, gas station, grocery store) someone walking past will tell me how cool they are, and ask where I got them.

I have an old Craftsman tool box that I've had for many years that is a perfect fit, it is full of many wrenches and basic hand tools, meter, tire patch kit, etc. I typically have 5 or 6 of my Makita cordless tools in the left drawer, including 1/2" impact wrench.

I keep my traveling kitchen knife roll in the left side cubby, it has been very handy on several occasions.

Trying to figure out a good way to add lighting inside the drawers.

I have a shallow drawer with quick-access miscellany such as fire-starting gear (flamethrower, matches, tinder, fatwood), tent stakes, hand-washing / hygiene items, sunscreen, compressed gas, 1 lb propane container, small goal zero lantern, snow peak lantern, our "lunch kit" (small plates, bowls, silverware but no cooking gear), a bluetooth speaker, and small packtowels.

The large drawer features my trusty ATC tool roll, a stainless steel bucket with towels and shower accessories, fresh water accessories, and all of our cooking gear.

I used to store recovery gear, tire repair, bottle jack, etc. in the drawers but after being in some awkward situations now have those items within easy reach of the front seat, rear door, or even the rear window.

I keep spare parts and fluids under the wings on the side. Cooking accessories, seasonings, EVOO, knives, etc. are in a BROG kitchen bag strapped to the fridge.

With my ARB drawers going in this weekend, I’m super excited to start filling them up but it got me wondering what you all would consider the basics? I know a lot depends on intended use but either way, there has to be some things that are consistently carried (e.g. first aid kit, tools, etc).

To christen the drawers, I have an ARB tire deflator on order as item #1. And no, I don’t have the compressor...yet! :)

mine are empty i just bought them to look cool around my landcruiser friends

:rofl:

Honestly, my drawers are easily my favorite non-performance mod by far and I would never want to be without them. Not only does it provide safe storage of a TON aid stuff, but it turns the back into a sleep surface long enough for my 6 foot 3 inch self with length to spare.

Thanks all for the comments so far, I have a much better understanding on what to start getting. I'm in agreement that this is probably going to be a favorite mod...a mod that keeps on giving each time you fill/use them!

Let the excitement begin because they are here...
N8Z1ZUR.jpg

walkie talkies, water purification kit, flares, hammock, shovel, blow up mattress, tire repair, compressor, first aid kit, hatchet, REI mini chair.

Welder, recovery bag, tool bags, twin portable air compressor, first aid kit, starter, jet boil, u-joints, throttle body, pedal assembly, maf, spare nuts/bolts, shovel, axe, front hub/bearing assembly, misc sensors, etc.

My winter load right now consists of a tool roll, tire patch kit, 12volt compressor, jumper cables, tow strap, snatch strap, soft shackles, tire cables, work gloves, state and local area maps, crazy creek chair, pack hammock, 2gal H2O, 8k calories worth of freeze dried food, ice axe, step in crampons, mountaineering boots, and two towels.

All of my other winter gear that doesn’t leave the car unless I’m using it is in my pack or my high altitude mission bag, and that’s a much longer list and not in the drawers in the winter.

In the summer I change it up and get all of my gear in the drawers, so that removes the crampons, ice axe and boots and replaces them with hiking boots and my loaded smaller pack which has all my basic gear. My summer pack has - chest rig w/radio and GPS, helmate, head lamps, 4L H20, maps, compass, firestarting gear, collapsible trekking poles, repair gear (zip ties, tape, wire, Kevlar thread and neddles), spare batteries, down puffy, waterproof shell, rain paints, gaiters, 2k calories, boot traction device, harness, 6 prusik loops, a few webbing slings, a bunch of locking carabiners, a few pullies, a scarab, first aid gear, bivi bag, space blankets, glow sticks, smoke, paracord, multitool, knife, and BSI. I’m sure I missed something, but that’s the list off the top of my head.

Outside “wing” areas hold all my recovery gear (except the MaxTrax and shovel). Right hand drawer carries stuff I would normall keep in any car (battery charger, first aid kit, air compressor/tire repair stuff, etc.). Left hand drawer is for hobby/activity stuff. Nearly always carries our Helinox chairs and table. Next is usually non-camera photography gear and basic hiking or camping gear. In other words, right drawer rarely changes but the left one is always changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom