Redarc brake controller install in a LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to install the redarc tow-pro elite brake controller in my 1997 LX450.

Thanks to the nearly infinite resources and wisdom on this forum and the Land Cruiser community overall, I've baselined this rig, traveled states west and east of the rockies in it, all the while starting my build and figuring out our overall plan based on how we'll use it.

One of the next steps for us is adding the capability to tow a trailer that requires a 7-pin. There are some great resources on here that talk about the installs:

Brake Controller Install?

With the Redarc controller, there are some very specific criteria for the selection of the vehicle brake light signal wire connection. That connection wire should:

-Provide battery voltage output while the vehicle brakes are applied. (CHECK)
-Have 0 volts output while the vehicle brakes are not applied. (CHECK)
-Accept battery voltage input when the brake controller manual override is operated and illuminate at least the trailer brake lights (SEEMS TO BE A CHECK, AND REQUIREMENT FOR ANY BRAKE CONTROLLER)
-Accept battery voltage input as above without causing any damage, spurious vehicle operation or erroneous fault indication (????)

Those last two have me scratching my head a bit... I'd presume that any brake controller has these same requirements in order to use the manual override/manual trailer braking function, but would appreciate this group's advice on whether the green/white wire meets these criteria.

Last edited:
I'm about to install the redarc tow-pro elite brake controller in my 1997 LX450.

Thanks to the nearly infinite resources and wisdom on this forum and the Land Cruiser community overall, I've baselined this rig, traveled states west and east of the rockies in it, all the while starting my build and figuring out our overall plan based on how we'll use it.

One of the next steps for us is adding the capability to tow a trailer that requires a 7-pin. There are some great resources on here that talk about the installs:

Brake Controller Install?

With the Redarc controller, there are some very specific criteria for the selection of the vehicle brake light signal wire connection. That connection wire should:

-Provide battery voltage output while the vehicle brakes are applied. (CHECK)
-Have 0 volts output while the vehicle brakes are not applied. (CHECK)
-Accept battery voltage input when the brake controller manual override is operated and illuminate at least the trailer brake lights (SEEMS TO BE A CHECK, AND REQUIREMENT FOR ANY BRAKE CONTROLLER)
-Accept battery voltage input as above without causing any damage, spurious vehicle operation or erroneous fault indication (????)

Those last two have me scratching my head a bit... I'd presume that any brake controller has these same requirements in order to use the manual override/manual trailer braking function, but would appreciate this group's advice on whether the green/white wire meets these criteria.

Did you ever get this completed? I picked one up myself and tapped into the green/white wire in the driver's kick panel. I need to recheck that wire tap to ensure its getting adequate voltage to the controller because I'm having a little issue myself.

The unit powers on but won't come out of calibration mode no matter how long I drive, nor can I switch it to manual mode which leads me to believe its the brake signal because to do so one must hold the brake, while pushing the knob twice. I did a Reese 4-7 pin adaptor as well.

There are 2 connectors under the rear number, passenger side. Those are the plugs for the trailer wiring kits.

do be confused with the rear center connector. That is for the auxiliary fuel tank.

There are 2 connectors under the rear number, passenger side. Those are the plugs for the trailer wiring kits.

do be confused with the rear center connector. That is for the auxiliary fuel tank.

Is there a reason the one in the drivers side kick panel shouldn’t be used? I referenced post #17 in this link:

Edit: I’m pretty sure I had 12 volts when checked with my DMM with brakes applied.

Fixed my problem. The wire tap to the green/white wire (brake signal) was not seated correctly. Brake controller is working Like a charm now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom