Transfer Case Rebuild with new gears (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ask for a backup light switch for a 2000 5spd Tacoma, like: BECK/ARNLEY 2011788
So, that’s the same switch that is on the e-locker I had to replace.

So, that’s the same switch that is on the e-locker I had to replace.
Yeah it is used on the elocker to make the dash light stop blinking and go solid when locked

I think that's the same as the CDL indicator switch that goes bad from time to time. Which is used in a few other places on the 80 and is a NSS/back-up light switch on other cars.

Toyota part no. 84222-12010

Napa NS6421
Thats the napa part # I was telling you about @thetoyotaman

Finishing up with getting the housings bare for cleanup and the front housing is not budging. In working on it one of the pry tabs broke off. Not fun when things like this happen but I wanted to share how it doesn’t always go right to encourage those of you out there in the same boat. So stopping for a break to re-evaluate.
142217D0-5B69-44C2-BE4F-6341A10B8038.jpeg

The case has an oil pump and an Oiler tube inside that requires an o-ring that appears to be discontinued. 90301-09015
B577317F-8149-46C6-BD35-D2599D7D311B.jpeg

Doing a little math for the speedometer. I have a couple of different speedometer gears or could wire in a Marks Correction Unit. Comparing OEM style Michelin Specs to a couple of tires I've picked out.

275/70R16
2,601 lbs 44 psi 10.5/32" 38 lbs 7-9" 8" 11" 8.6" 31.1" 667 US

Cooper STT PRO
LT315/75R16
127/124Q E
None 3,860 lbs 65 psi 20.5/32" 67 lbs 8-11" 8.5" 12.6" 10.1" 34.5" 600 US

Yokohama G003 M/T
LT315/75R16
127/124Q E
None 3,860 lbs 65 psi 20/32" 68 lbs 8-11" 8.5" 12" 10.1" 34.8" 598 JP

Chart from Kurt:

img_3573-jpg.1671915

My gears showed up from Cruiser Outfitters and I’m picking up a spare t case today to do this job in my garage, taking my time, with hopefully no stress. Actually looks fun if it all goes right haha!
oh snap, thats a good idea

Well, it turns out the o-ring is available after all. So glad to get an OEM one as I didn’t want to risk a substitute rotting to pieces. Picked up one and some FIPG.
5A47535B-4C77-4825-84C7-DCEDC21007D6.jpeg
F6A7F5E2-7C6F-4B1F-A6E9-45CBEF58E0A0.jpeg

@thetoyotaman, Were you able to get the front housing off? I was having similar trouble when I was doing my front bearing and seal about a week ago. I had to actuate the cdl/4h switch a couple of times and then left it in the engaged position and I was able to get the front off.
(note: you will need to make sure the cdl/4h is in the off position - clutch back to allow for the front housing to go back on smoothly)

Last edited:
You guys are my inspiration! Keep up the good work and the pics and tech talk. The rest of us lurkers really appreciate it!

@thetoyotaman, Were you able to get the front housing off? I was having similar trouble when I was doing my front bearing and seal about a week ago. I had to actuate the cdl/4h switch a couple of times and then left it in the engaged position and I was able to get the front off.
(note: you will need to make sure the cdl/4h is in the off position - clutch back to allow for the front housing to go back on smoothly)
Haven’t had time to get back to it yet but thanks for the tip. The housing is in multiple pieces except for that and I’m also having trouble with the shifter on top coming off.

I broke off one of those tabs also. I figured they were there to help pry but didn’t hold up to a tap of the mallet. Used my trusted filed down flathead screwdriver to wedge between the half’s.

So, I'm not missing anything here then? It's just tight. Remove bolts and find something to separate it. Thanks! (Now to find the time...)

OTRAMM has some good videos on YouTube that show installing these gear sets including tear down and all. They were a good reference when something wasn’t coming off like I thought it should and I wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something. He’s a vendor on mud and has a YouTube channel as well. Here’s a link to one of the two videos on this topic.

Hope it’s helpful!

Edit: learned how to tag people; so, wanted to give Ryan the credit. @OTRAMM

Last edited:
So, I'm not missing anything here then? It's just tight. Remove bolts and find something to separate it. Thanks! (Now to find the time...)

While I've never separated that case I have done some Subaru motors before. Getting a butchers knife or any other decent size knife and putting it in the seam then wacking it with a mallet works well. Maybe it will work here too.

Had some time today to finally get back to this. Sure enough I was able to separate the front output shaft housing with an old engine gasket scraper and pressed out the gear and output shaft with a press. It’s a tight dowel that holds it in. Then I tapped the bearing out with a small punch put on the outer race.
33BA8AD5-A4F2-4F94-8FBA-5752E2DD431E.jpeg
Last thing is how to remove the lever as there is an oil seal in there I need to remove. Any tips here?
4C6B2616-9219-4001-921A-923417D6993B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom