snow tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kng

Threads
Hello
i am looking to get a good set of snow and ice tire for winter only in n.e ohio on my 2015 LC, was thinking of getting a narrow tire for better traction. can anyone give me advice on tires and size? currently running stock 285 60 18
Thanks

On my LX For winter I run nokian Hakka 7’s in 265/60 18. Jut looking at them not sure you would want to go much narrower. I have them on OEM 18” tundra wheels.

First off I’m in Alaska and have used Nokian winter tires almost exclusivly for as long as I can remember. They are the best winter tires. Between our cars I currently have vehicles with Hakka 4,5,7 and 9. So my Hakka 7’s are technically the 7 SUV.

For the studded tires the hakkapeleta-9 is the current, newest tire.

The Hakkapeleta “number” (like 7,8, 9) are the p metric tires and studded for passenger cars. The hakkapeleta “number” SUV are p metric tires in larger sizes for trucks and suv. All the nokian p metrics are XL designated so have a higher than normal load rating.

The Hakka LT2 is the same studded tread pattern as the Hakka 7 but a 10 ply LT tire.

The Hakkapeleta R3 is a studless winter tire and from what I hear is very well recieved.

Nokian also have a “budget” tire called the Norman. It’s an older hakkapeleta with a different name. The current One is the Norman-7, it is a Hakkapeleta-7 renamed.

My Hakka 7 SUV are about 5 or 6 years old I got them on a deal when the 9 came out and I couldn’t get the 9 in my size.

We have Hakka 9’s on my wife’s new Tesla and their breaking performance on ice is absolutely amazing. I started this winter With 40-50% on my wear indicators on my 7. Next winter I’ll get new winter tires for my 200 and it will most likely be the Hakka 9 SUV.

I’ll also add I run BFG KO2s in the summer that is a LT tire but I pull a 7k lb camper all summer and don’t tow in the winter so don’t feel the need for an LT winter tire.

I hope this helps.

Thanks coleak
i don't need studs and dont tow anything in the winter. are the 4-9 all studded and or LT?

The Hakka ...,7,8,9 are all studded, the LT2 is also studded but per the nokian web site you can also get them without studs. Studded Nokian’s come pre studded with carbide studs.

If you don’t want studs the Hakkapeleta R3 is the newest/best studless tire they make. The R2 was before the R3. I have never used the R3 but know people up here that do and say they are very good winter tires.

thanks again cole, we get a fair amount of snow and ice here not like alaska.
i really don't need studs.

No problem. Here the studs really only make a difference when it is sub zero (F) on ice.

I live in NY and spend a fair amount of time on snow and mixed surfaces. I run R3 SUVs on mine. Had studded Hakka 2s on my prior Ford but for around here studless are a better fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom