Ruined Spacer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
D43880BA-0675-4065-A83F-E45A3238D429.jpeg
Put new Slee Spacers on about a month ago. Rears went on fine, front passenger went on fine, front drivers were a little tough. I “clocked” the spacers to make sure they cleared and they slid on 3/4 of the way then stopped. I removed and tried again. Stopped in the same place. I noticed that their was a little lip between surface on the hub and where the spacet slid on. So with a rubber mallet I tapped the spacer all the way on. After a test drive I had a terrible vibration between 50-60 under acceleration. Immediately went away after I let off the gas. Went and got my tires balanced hoping that would help. It did not. So today I removed just the front drivers spacer and 80% of the vibration went away.

It looks like the spacers is ruined. But if I just buy a new one without solving the mating issue I am just gonna mess up a new one.

I would be concerned about stress points being created in the aluminum of the spacer. I would not use it, myself. Probably would really, really suck to have a spacer break at 70 mph. To me, that is one of those things that doesn't even need to have the question asked. The negative possibilities with failure, however remote it may be, are just too great.

Got any photos of the hub mating surface?

I agree on the safety issues. I have no intention of putting the spacer back on.
I also didn’t get any pics, but I dont think they would show much. You have to run your finger nail across it to really feel the areas that have the lip.

Yup. that spacer is toast unless spidertraxx would be willing to blend the area and re balance. As long as the sharp edges get smoothed, you shouldn't see a an issue with strength. A local machine shop should be able to balance for you too. You get to determine what you think is safe and what you are comfortable with, otherwise I'd ask a machine shop or find a reputable local shop.

It should be pretty apparent where the spacers got hung up on the hub. I have those same spacers and they took a bit of different clocking positions to get them on correctly. Precision, balanced parts shouldn't generally be "beat to fit" ;)

I agree on the safety issues. I have no intention of putting the spacer back on.
I also didn’t get any pics, but I dont think they would show much. You have to run your finger nail across it to really feel the areas that have the lip.
If you have a lip on your hub, you might be SOL for spacers. Not sure how that could happen, though?

That’s what I’m trying to figure out now. Why I have the lip and what to do to get rid of it. I’ve searched a number of parts diagrams and most show it as a whole assembly- Axle Hub. $300+.

Your vibration was because the spacer was not perfectly seated- some minimal gap between the hub and spacer. You mentioned you clocked them (there is only one orientation where they will correctly fit).

But whats wrong with the spacer? How/why are the toast?

Those nicks are only a fraction of material-- I don't see a strength compromise or any noticable/measureable impact on balance (they won't spin fast enough to create a noticeable imbalance).

Post up some pictures of your hub and flange- interested to see what the issue is. Did you happen to match up the two spacers to see if they are the same, or try installing that one on the other side?

I would smooth out that area on the spacer. As mentioned I cannot see those minor gauging to really affect the spacer strength or seating when installed properly. I would look at your hub, there is obviously an issue with something on the hubcentric ring on the hub that is gauging the spacer. They should not be forced on. You need to make sure that area is completely clean before installing. If you have "burs" or something on the lip that is causing this, I would take a small sanding disc or file to smooth those out and make sure the spacer slips on easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom