Crack in the head? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ROBsSON

Yeah thats my dad
GOLD Star
Threads
Went to do the oil galley fix and to my surprise it’s been done before I thought he P.O. may have just put jb weld over the original plug and left it at that but turns out a set screw was under it.

B8EF647A-0850-4282-8B6E-2012C89FA416.jpeg

I thought that was going to be the fix but Looking closer I found this on the bottom.....
9C562FE7-62E2-43C0-B93E-0973901211B1.jpeg

Ran it for a little bit to get the oil pressure up...
1276EF8C-1B9B-4846-B70A-87BDC45FD89C.jpeg

Just thought I’d get the thoughts of some people alittle smarter than me. I’m thinking more jb weld isn’t the best option.

Interesting place for a crack. I’d wager that the oil galley repair led to the crack as that’s just not a place I’d expect a crack....unless others chime in that it’s common. I’m guessing it’s weldable but not sure if 30 years oil oil soaking into a porous cast iron head will cause issues.

A reman Head is available through jegs iirc. Price was reasonable.

Interesting place for a crack. I’d wager that the oil galley repair led to the crack as that’s just not a place I’d expect a crack....unless others chime in that it’s common. I’m guessing it’s weldable but not sure if 30 years oil oil soaking into a porous cast iron head will cause issues.

A reman Head is available through jegs iirc. Price was reasonable.

Thanks man I’ve been talking with some of the guys in my local cruiser club and got the same thought that it probably came from the galley plug “repair” but I’ll check them out I appreciate it, worst case I get to learn how to do something new on this truck never replaced a head on a 2f

Someone probably used the wrong sized drill bit for the tap and had to really force that plug in there causing extra stress. After the heating and cooling cycles it likely resulted in that crack. Either that or there's an issue with the expansion rates of the cast iron vs the plug material.

Someone probably used the wrong sized drill bit for the tap and had to really force that plug in there causing extra stress. After the heating and cooling cycles it likely resulted in that crack. Either that or there's an issue with the expansion rates of the cast iron vs the plug material.

I’m wondering the same it looks like a stress crack I’ve seen at some of the stuff we work on at work. Where something either not ment to be there went in or something was overtightened alittle lot to much.

I would think that is probably a low-stress area that could be welded or even JB welded after thorough cleaning

I would think that is probably a low-stress area that could be welded or even JB welded after thorough cleaning
Yeah, if you have that block boiled out properly it should be clean enough to weld. But, I'm not a welder so don't take my word for it.

could you get the old plug out? drill and tap deeper and run a new set screw almost into the head bolt? or stack 2 screws in there, there is enough room.

interesting! first ive seen like that

A guy from our machine shop at work used to do a lot of work in racing and he’s under the same impression kinda laughed at the use of JB weld like “well I guess that could work” suggested having it professionally cleaned then welded.

Yeah, if you have that block boiled out properly it should be clean enough to weld. But, I'm not a welder so don't take my word for it.
From what I’ve picked up from everyone I think this might be very repairable don’t know if I’ll get 300k more miles out of it but hey can’t hurt to try.

could you get the old plug out? drill and tap deeper and run a new set screw almost into the head bolt? or stack 2 screws in there, there is enough room.

I tried getting it out but there is some JB weld or something they used over the top of it to keep it from backing out I’m guessing, and all that happened when I tried to move it was broke off some of the threads and chipped off pieces.

But I’m thinking maybe I might get lucky with a wire wheel and alittle luck with an easy out maybe I can get it to move if so I would try to do that. I’m alittle nervous to try and keep tapping though just Incase I cause it to split anymore at that crack since it’s in a bad spot to try and keep an eye on.

interesting! first ive seen like that
Yeah I haven’t found much else on this happeneing but another reason to be carful when tapping them holes!

Yeah I haven’t found much else on this happeneing but another reason to be carful when tapping them holes!

it is hard to see, is the plug a square head pipe plug?
MWAG is a PO used a pipe plug which the further it is threaded in the more outward force it puts out as it is tapered versus a set screw which does not.
so as the plug was tightened it actually cracked the head in a weak/thin area. it has nothing to do with the drilling, tapping process.

it is hard to see, is the plug a square head pipe plug?
MWAG is a PO used a pipe plug which the further it is threaded in the more outward force it puts out as it is tapered versus a set screw which does not.
so as the plug was tightened it actually cracked the head in a weak/thin area. it has nothing to do with the drilling, tapping process.

Honestly it looks like a set screw because I’m not seeing any square end there almost looks like a cavity in the front that would make me think an Allen wrench could fit there so I’m thinking set screw

I found a replacement head thanks to a local club member @S4Cruiser you are the man, but I’m going to get it checked out before I swap them.

@SteveH someone was talking to me about this at work now it’s just finding a shop to do it. I’d like to save my old head if I can even if I have it swapped out maybe it can help someone I’m my position later down the road

For cost reference JEGS ATK reman head with valves and springs is $470.

FWIW, my wife always accuses me of having cracks in my head for the number of Land Cruisers and parts I've got around the property -- And I'm still going!

For cost reference JEGS ATK reman head with valves and springs is $470.

That’s really not bad considering the last one I saw was $1500 may have to check this out.

FWIW, my wife always accuses me of having cracks in my head for the number of Land Cruisers and parts I've got around the property -- And I'm still going!

Just get more cruiser parts to fill the cracks!

And hey @landcrusher909 :rofl: does that sound familiar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom