Let's talk about axes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yeah, i gathered that. i'd be really impressed if the eye was still in the proper shape after 100 cuts of the chain or round stock. regardless it is a very nice piece

This was a dumpster save, a Chopper 1 splitting axe. Interesting concept. The hold down wire on one of the springs is missing and for ca. $10 I can get it back in working condition but I don't know if it would be worth the effort. Reviews on how well it works are polarized :lol:.

IMG_3334.JPG

They tend to hold their value, so yeah $10 is worth it.
A lot of people like them, other criticize youtube videos in regards to the axe as being a gimmicky one.

I'm Baaack........ as promised.

Here are 4 other Axes I own (all hand me downs).
These are all 4 1/2 " wide (Blade), full size axes.
From the top we have a Hytest, an unidentified brand, an Elwell, another unidentified brand but with a "K" initial (and has the same kind of shaped blade, of a "Kelly Perfect").

View attachment 1612577

View attachment 1612578

View attachment 1612579

View attachment 1612580

View attachment 1612581

As you can see, these have been working axes and some have seen a lot of use, on various types of extremely hard, Australian Eucalyptus trees.

I hope you enjoy the view.

D'oh!
Homer
them are some sweet lookin ole axes!

If you look at it length-wise with the cutting edge pointing to the ground, the stripes within the handle should be as close as possible to a vertical line pointing to the ground.

If they run close to a vertical orientation, then upon using the axe you run a high risk of splitting the handle.

I’ll be damned. FOUR SWINGS of the axe on a windblown dead tree in my backyard and the handle split!!! You were right...

I’ll be damned. FOUR SWINGS of the axe on a windblown dead tree in my backyard and the handle split!!! You were right...
And handles should be raw wood. No varnish. No lacquer. Just wood and boiled linseed oil. Otherwise you’ll be prone to getting blisters.

And handles should be raw wood. No varnish. No lacquer. Just wood and boiled linseed oil. Otherwise you’ll be prone to getting blisters.

I never paid attention to whatever axe my grandaddy put in my hand. But ai know it didn’t have some laquered handle. Just learned something. Thanks guys!

finally got around to making up a handle for this ol Collins. turned out pretty well. could have done the final knot a but bwtter, oh well, next time...

IMG_20180603_194158.jpg

A friend turned me onto the Fiskars ... Love them - total game changer and completely unexpected (thought I would hate it).

Used this setup in the sierras and it will be my last axe/maul purchase ever. Not going back to wood handles. The chopper is a 28 inch I scored and not sure if they even sell them anymore so snatch one up if you can....swings like an aluminum Easton bat! The maul split a nearly 4 foot pine log in 3 strikes...wife and kids were impressed! ;)
20180623_103803.jpg

Used this setup in the sierras and it will be my last axe/maul purchase ever. Not going back to wood handles. The chopper is a 28 inch I scored and not sure if they even sell them anymore so snatch one up if you can....swings like an aluminum Easton bat! The maul split a nearly 4 foot pine log in 3 strikes...wife and kids were impressed! ;)View attachment 1728972

I use the same chopper in my camper, and have the matching hatchet. We cut a ton of wood every summer camping. The head is very soft metal so I have To get a new one every year or so but not a big deal as I can usually get them on sale for <$40. That maul looks nice I’ll have to try and find one.

Used this setup in the sierras and it will be my last axe/maul purchase ever. Not going back to wood handles. The chopper is a 28 inch I scored and not sure if they even sell them anymore so snatch one up if you can....swings like an aluminum Easton bat! The maul split a nearly 4 foot pine log in 3 strikes...wife and kids were impressed! ;)View attachment 1728972
The amazon.com reviews for that fiskars maul are epic.

The amazon.com reviews for that fiskars maul are epic.
It's pretty impressive. I've split many logs in my day and thought there was no way when I squared up against the 4 footer. Cracked that sucker in two no problem.

I did purchase the fiskars in my original post http://amzn.to/2fgLyW2

I've been using it since October and it's been great. This weekend we went out with my buddy who has a beautiful gransfor but the fiskars was what was being used to split the firewood. we weren't splitting any giant logs or anything but just firewood that was purchased.

I got a small husqvarna hatchet and small axe. The handles and the quality of the heads is every bit as nice as my 3 grans furs Burks. The only difference I noticed was the heads on the husqvarna weren't finished as finely and didn't have any polishing. 15 minutes of sanding fixed that. I love my husqvarna axes and don't ever plan on buying another grans Fors Burks

I have one of the big Fiskars splitting axes. Generally pretty happy with it, even though it picked up a chip pretty darn early on, but it's pretty terrible for any sort of hewing; too heavy, wrong geometry, etc. Also, most of my firewood cutting is to feed my tiny, tiny, tiny Cubic Mini Stove in my cabin/shack, and the big splitting axe is massive overkill for making 6" long 'logs.'

So, based on the good experience I've had with Estwing rock hammers, I got a 16" Estwing Camp Axe (bigger than the classic hatchet, but shorter than the 26" Estwing, which is basically the same thing plus a fiberglass spacer).

Long story short, it took a fantastic edge with just a little work on a diamond stone, it splits small stuff better than either of my old hatchets, it takes off small branches like a charm, and it's light enough for a big bastard like me to swing with one hand, but it's big enough to be worth using two hands for bigger stuff. If I choke up the handle to just under the head, it's almost like splitting off kindling with a big cleaver.

I still want a 'full-sized' all-arounder axe, but it's hard to find anything that's sub-$100 and wouldn't be just as clunky as my splitting axe. I might just need to find an old hewing axe on Ebay and pick out the best handle at the hardware store and go from there.

my buddy got a gransfors bruk for xmas...beautiful axe...
http://amzn.to/2Cv9XhN
makes my fiskars seem like a toy!

i was given a gransfors axe and when i found out how much they cost i thought what could make it worth that money?!! well i swung it once and realized what made it worth the money. there’s just something in the feel of the handle and balance. great quality metal. i now own two!! love it and makes me smile when i get to use them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom