Leak After Car Wash and CEL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this evening I decided to take the 200 series through the car wash since I am prepping it for a week long trip to Southern Utah and northern AZ and wanted it clean underneath for greasing zirks and diff fluids. So while in the car wash it was spraying the roof and i heard water use there and a few seconds later it was coming out of the dome light and sunglass holder area. While trying to catch and clean up the water it was then running down both a pillars as well. When leaving the car wash I then noticed that the check engine light was on.
When I got home I pulled in the garage and figured I would try to dry up the areas that were wet and turn the heater on for the night. I decided I should leave the windows open to help it dry out, so after the vehicle was already off, I pushed the start button once and then a second time so the windows would operate without staring the vehicle (so not pressing the brake pedal), and it started! So I shut it off and tried it again making sure my feet were no where near the brake pedal, and it started again on the second push of the start button.
I tried to plug my scan gauge in the to see what the code was and it will not show any codes present. I then tried to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes to see if that would fix the issue. Still has the CEL and starts on the second push of the start button without the brake pressed. I opened the sunroof and ran a week eater cord down about 4 feet and did not feel any obstructions.
Also note I have been through this car wash before with zero issues and no leaks what so ever.

Does anyone have any clues as to what would cause this? A windshield seal? I have not had the windshield replaced, but did buy used in Feb of this year, so not sure on previous history.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Were you pressure washing around the edge of the sunroof?

That seal isn’t perfectly water tight. It has something of a gutter or tray under the perimeter designed to catch the small amounts of water that would leak through under normal rainy conditions.

It is likely if you were blasting it with a pressure washer nozzle you just totally overwhelmed it’s drainage capacity and it overflowed into the headliner.

Just a guess. If you weren’t spraying the seal area I’m not sure what would do it.

Were you pressure washing around the edge of the sunroof?

That seal isn’t perfectly water tight. It has something of a gutter or tray under the perimeter designed to catch the small amounts of water that would leak through under normal rainy conditions.

It is likely if you were blasting it with a pressure washer nozzle you just totally overwhelmed it’s drainage capacity and it overflowed into the headliner.

Just a guess. If you weren’t spraying the seal area I’m not sure what would do it.

I went through the auto wash last night so it has the high pressure water sprayed directly at the roof. Definitely won’t be doing that again. But I had in the past with no issues.
The overloading of the drain holes sounds correct because I could hear some water running from the driver seat right before it started coming out at the dome light.

If you removed/replaced the roof rack that could be it or windshield seal or clogged sunroof drains.

I have not touched the roof rack since purchasing it. Could water get in from the seals where the roof rack mounts?

I hope to find a place to get the CEL code today. Hopefully it will dry out and clear the code and nothing was damaged.

So update on this. Took the interior trim off by the drive side kick plate and ran a fan on it for several hours with the battery disconnected since last night. Everything looked dried out, so I reconnected the negative cable and started it up. No more CEL and no funky starting without the brake pedal pressed.

So it seems to be fine now. Will monitor further this week.

A couple pics of the moisture and the fan running to dry things out.

39CB85ED-C29D-400E-92BA-B61F5E629AB0.jpeg

FEF02314-701F-47F6-8848-B991F196DB94.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom