Hood lift support upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone upgraded their hood springs for a support similarly on the 80s series? so its like your rear hatch stays that are now on the hood so when you open the hood it is assisted by the actuator itself. I mean its a lazy thing but after I saw them in my buddies 80 series I wanted to check for my 60. Maybe this has been discussed before but for some reason when I search the forum now it times out before I get results.

I did mine on my 60. It’s a great upgrade. Just followed the directions and materials list from a few threads on here.
017A276A-CE61-42A1-9707-D0DB89081F8F.jpeg
1E3F6AF2-678E-4F6F-AA6B-ADE32ED44773.jpeg

A stick shift full sized carbureted SUV with a manual choke and manual locking hubs doesn't deserve pneumatic hood struts.
Use the rod. It's better.
My 60 doesn’t have a full sized carburetor nor a manual choke....does that mean mine deserves the struts?
4D80D56D-FBA6-412E-B767-4A8E7E17B5AD.jpeg

I LOVE my hood struts. LOVE THEM. I highly recommend and it doesn't take too much work to get them in.

A stick shift full sized carbureted SUV with a manual choke and manual locking hubs doesn't deserve pneumatic hood struts.
Use the rod. It's better.
Probably doesn't deserve them but it certainly is a cool option to add the cruiser. Plus I like to spoil mine a bit. :rofl:

I did it almost 10 years ago so I have no idea. Trail Tailor posted this in another thread:

Tundra/Sequoia shocks (53440-0C012) 55-60$ each ball stud ends 1.80 each (M8 x 1.25mm IIRC)

This thread has McMaster P/N's which is where I may have ordered them.
Hood/tailgate strut replacement FJ62

For video of how to install see this youtube video from a couple of years back. (warning has ad for product from vendor) Struts below if you want to roll your own but for visual folks this is a decent install video.

link to struts alone - no drill or tap for those who already have such. Found on page 6 of the FAQ link above.

Gas Springs - Fixed Force | EssentraComponentsUS

Glenn in Marana

Last edited:
The irony here is that if you search the 80's forum, they're all adding 60 series hood prop rods to their trucks.....

The irony here is that if you search the 80's forum, they're all adding 60 series hood prop rods to their trucks.....
Yup. Once the hood hits you in the head enough is enough. Back to what will never let you down.

I love the upgrade. Just don't toss the rod just in case your struts fail.

I love the upgrade. Just don't toss the rod just in case your struts fail.
This...!!!

After 10 years mine need replacement...i used the 120lbs from McMC...
Wish i would have kept the rod..:bang::bang:

Manu, I have the 120# ones. Order the 90's and I'll trade you. Mine are new.

Thanks, but I'll go back to the good old rod...
The struts won't hold when it gets cool/cold... unless i move the hood up and down several times...
These work great in the summer. .

Thanks, but I'll go back to the good old rod...
The struts won't hold when it gets cool/cold... unless i move the hood up and down several times...
These work great in the summer. .

THIS!

I get it that struts are cool and all the new trucks use them, but man, I wouldn't be happy WHEN they start to fail. I did my rear hatch about 5 years ago. This winter and it's done. Falls on my head constantly.

I'll stick with the prop rod on the hood. Never fails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom