Wind noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had another thread going but it was getting pretty subjective and cluttered so thought I'd start a fresh one.

Original-ish Post:
I bought an '04 Land Cruiser a couple of months ago. The previous owner had the windshield replaced with aftermarket glass. The glass was leaking when I bought it and there was a fair amount of wind noise. It was really difficult to tell (directionally) where it was coming from. The water leak wasn't terrible but enough for me to have it fixed. I had it replaced by Safelite who also installed the two old trim pieces down the side (attached with rivets) and the necessary rivet cover molding. I bought the Toyota coated rivets but they did not arrive in time for me to have Safelite use them. I think they just used standard aluminum rivets instead. The trim pieces were not in the greatest of shape (slightly bent and don't sit PERFECTLY flush with the windshield/roofline where they meet.

Long story short, my leak is gone but the wind noise is still there.

UPDATE #1:

I'm going to keep chronicling this until I figure it out...or don't.

I took it back to Safelight to have them take a look. I left it with them for the day yesterday. The manager believes it is not windshield installation-related (who would have thought?). He thinks it could be a combination of trim related issues. He did a couple of experiments by applying painters tape in certain spots but wasn't really able to reduce the noise.

Another relevant bit of information is that I removed my roof rack. I had replaced the drip molding and inserted the covers to hide the openings in the moldings where the rack was previously bolted down. I thought I had done this correctly but the molding was still a bit loose and there was also a gap between the front of the drip molding and the windshield trim. To eliminate this gap and/or the drip molding as the culprit, I just took the drip molding off the truck. The result is an "exposed" gutter running length-wise down my roof but no obvious aerodynamic disruptions. Removing this didn't seem to reduce the noise much, if any.

I have also removed my sun roof wind deflector but can't imagine that would play into the noise much with the sunroof closed.

My next attack on the noise was to put some foam "backer rod" into the gaps in the trim down the sides of the windshield. This seems to have reduced the noise some - but not enough.

I think I'll begin taping off suspicious areas one at a time to see if it makes any difference.

Any thoughts you guys might have are appreciated. Anyone else approached this issue and experienced a successful outcome?

Here’s a video to hopefully clarify some of the things I’m talking about:

Last edited:
Please please please let me know if you find the issue. I have the EXACT problem, I even added foams to the back rods as you did. It only helped with the low-speed (under 40mph) wind noise. When I'm on the freeway, it sounds like I have a window open. This problem is driving me crazy.

It sounds like the wind noise is coming from the top of the A-pillar, but it is really hard to tell the faster I go.

@dchilds how large is the gap across the roofline? These windshields can slide down a fraction if not held in place with tape properly during install and a large gap will produce noise. I had a windshield replaced years back by a guy who does the windshields for a very large SE Lexus dealer and from 20 ft away from my vehicle he commented that he reckoned I had a lot of wind noise due to a less than perfect install. Redone properly there was no noise.

@dchilds how large is the gap across the roofline? These windshields can slide down a fraction if not held in place with tape properly during install and a large gap will produce noise. I had a windshield replaced years back by a guy who does the windshields for a very large SE Lexus dealer and from 20 ft away from my vehicle he commented that he reckoned I had a lot of wind noise due to a less than perfect install. Redone properly there was no noise.

That's interesting. That seam isn't perfect. I'll take some video of it but will also try taping across it to see if it helps.

84001243-B6A8-4A75-9925-2DD253D30590.jpeg
F5F8E290-333F-4B2D-A021-3ED2A8DCA67F.jpeg
1FBCCD65-5A8B-42E0-9AC1-DE0F11AEB6BE.jpeg
Here are a few pictures of the gap at the driver side top of the windshield. Anything look out of place?

Long story short is that I had my windshield replaced after it cracked then had wind noise like you... not happy at all, but 6 months later that new windshiled cracked secondary to a rock hit. Got that windshield replaced again and now no noise at all! Super stoked. I think the first windshield just was not installed correctly...

Interesting. Can you take some close up video of the perimeter of your windshield and the trim? Or anyone else with a silent windshield, for that matter?
Long story short is that I had my windshield replaced after it cracked then had wind noise like you... not happy at all, but 6 months later that new windshiled cracked secondary to a rock hit. Got that windshield replaced again and now no noise at all! Super stoked. I think the first windshield just was not installed correctly...

Interesting. Can you take some close up video of the perimeter of your windshield and the trim? Or anyone else with a silent windshield, for that matter?
My windshield trim to roof joint seam is consistent with the pic @Ayune posted, somewhat smaller and neater than yours I believe. Looks like a 5mm gap (measured at the centerline) between the top leading edge of the trim and the sheet metal.

3134F579-AB0F-4D49-8682-6621CA312279.jpeg

DF1D2CE3-3CB2-44BF-AE32-A812A2876793.jpeg

DA7B02E1-886D-438D-AA7B-EB5CC67008B8.jpeg

Last edited:
I had the exact thing happen on a Mercedes after a windshield change and while it appears it's the top portion causing your wind noise putting tape over various sections and driving it was the way I final figured it out. Tape the top portion and be sure the tape is pulled taught when applied, sits flush, and doesn't press down into the "trench" or you will just replicate the profile shape and still have the wind noise.

I've got the same issue, now I'm starting to think it's just a thing with these trucks...
Seriously. Now I want to find someone local and sit in their trucks, see if there is wind noise in theirs too.

I've got the same issue, now I'm starting to think it's just a thing with these trucks...

It's not a thing.

Or it shouldn't be. Best guess is that 15-ish years in, windshields are getting replaced poorly. The gap in some of these photos is crazy.

It's not a thing.

Or it shouldn't be. Best guess is that 15-ish years in, windshields are getting replaced poorly. The gap in some of these photos is crazy.
Can you snap a picture of your gap, too - just so I can have another example to show the Safelite crew?

Can you snap a picture of your gap, too - just so I can have another example to show the Safelite crew?

Sure thing. Give me like an hour to pretend I'm working still, and I'll run out and snap that for you.

This is tougher to take a picture of than I assumed—and I really need to clean up my car.

Rubber is flush with the body, and flush also with the roof trim. To my knowledge this is the OEM windshield, and it makes no noise at all.

LX.Windshield-0945.jpg

LX.Windshield-0947.jpg

LX.Windshield-0948.jpg

I duck taped the top and A-pillar bars to see if it'll solve the issue. It is SLIGHTLY better (or could be placebo effect), but I can still hear wind noise inside the A-pillars. Can't tell if it is coming from the top or bottom. *sigh*

m7nvukl.jpg

Ngj5aEC.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom