Found white sludge under engine oil cap (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
while changing my engine oil, I took a look at the engine oil cap and found a small amount of white sludge/cream build up under the cap.

Also after changing the oil I kept checking the oil from the dip stick and feel like I could see streaks of that white sludge on the dip stick. Please look at the pics.

No leaks so can anyone tell me what this is and if it’s serious

91122E09-7709-4B53-A10F-14A464A51B6B.jpeg

40BC969A-3943-429C-8CE8-2FA74EC7C8F0.jpeg

Kinda hard to say. Dont want to jump to conclusions. Do you drive this truck daily? Do it get up to temp every day? Could just be condensation. Keep checking every day. Unless you had overheated it at some point before then we probably know the answer. What's the miles?

Have you checked your coolant to see if there are any oil floaties in it? It could just be condensation, but it could also be a failed head gasket allowing coolant and oil to mix. I would definitely keep it under a microscope until you figure it out.

Kinda hard to say. Dont want to jump to conclusions. Do you drive this truck daily? Do it get up to temp every day? Could just be condensation. Keep checking every day. Unless you had overheated it at some point before then we probably know the answer. What's the miles?

Drive everyday. 30 miles probably. Gets up to proper temp no problems. I’m 2nd owner but as far as I know never had any overheating issues.

Currently has 138,000 miles on it. 2004 lx

Have you checked your coolant to see if there are any oil floaties in it? It could just be condensation, but it could also be a failed head gasket allowing coolant and oil to mix. I would definitely keep it under a microscope until you figure it out.
Coolant looks normal. Nothing like oil. No abnormal signs other then the sludge.

I've had that before ( under the cap ) and it was condensation.
Not sure about streaks on dipstick, that sounds more concerning to me.....
You could do an oil test with blackstone if you're really concerned or your local auto parts place probably sells an inexpensive block tester kit which checks for gases in the coolant.... good luck

You could do an oil test with blackstone

Swamp thing beat me to it. I came here to say exactly this. Send a sample to blackstone labs pronto, it's well worth the peace of mind. I would be freaking out if I saw that on my oil cap. I know you said your coolant looks good, but are you losing any?

Swamp thing beat me to it. I came here to say exactly this. Send a sample to blackstone labs pronto, it's well worth the peace of mind. I would be freaking out if I saw that on my oil cap. I know you said your coolant looks good, but are you losing any?

Not losing any. The streak on the dip stick are now gone. They only showed up when I added the new oil and then was checking to see oil level.

Also I’ve been checking my dip stick 5 times a week almost and can say with confidence that I’d never seen any streaks before.

Check your PCV valve. Most likely, it's jammed up, and the crankcase is not venting right. The moisture in the engine that gets blown out the PCV will mix with the oil under the cap like that if it has no other path to get out.

Likely just condensation. Typical in cooler and cold temps we see this time of year. Check under the oil cap after a long highway drive, I am guessing it will be gone. Short trips often don't allow enough time to rid the system of all condensation.

Check your PCV valve.

^^^ THIS ^^^

It's NOT condensation, and it's NOT normal.

Had this scare with the 5.7L in my 2011 200-series, at about 110K, about a year ago. Sludge just like that on my cap. I was freaking out. Several people told me it was condensation, took it on some longer trips, got worse.

Took a chance, swapped the PCV valve, which was probably the original one, it was totally clogged. It was SUPER easy, took only a few minutes, $10 part. Problem totally went away. Gone.

Before:
IMG_20180128_101940.jpg

After new PCV, couple hundred miles later:
IMG_20180206_081831.jpg

^^^ THIS ^^^

Had this scare with the 5.7L in my 2011 200-series, at about 110K, about a year ago. Sludge just like that on my cap. I was freaking out. Several people told me it was condensation, took it on some longer trips, got worse.

Took a chance, swapped the PCV valve, which was probably the original one, it was totally clogged. It was SUPER easy, took only a few minutes, $10 part. Problem totally went away. Gone.

Before:
View attachment 1830333

View attachment 1830336

Hey

Not sure if it’s the valve or not. Will have to check and since I’m in the mood lately to do small stuff to my truck I’ll take on this valve as well.

Do you have a link to which part you bought and any repair steps or video?

Hey

Not sure if it’s the valve or not. Will have to check and since I’m in the mood lately to do small stuff to my truck I’ll take on this valve as well.

Buy one at the local parts place. No need to go to Toyota for it. It is on the side of the driver's valve cover, almost exactly opposite side of the cover from the oil fill tube. Big foam-covered hose going to it from the intake.

PCV just pulls out, but be careful you don't mess up the grommet for it, or let it drop into the cover, or you'll be pulling off the valve cover and fishing the bits of old grommet out of the open gallery at the top of the cover.

The combustion process produces water along with all the nasties, some leaks past rings.

Sounds like from @gatormark91 that the PCV in the 4.7L is very different than the later 5.7L. The later one screws in, is right dead center in the front of the engine in front of the intake plenum, under a thick hose. Uses a 22m deep socket (O2 sensor socket works well). I had the epiphany idea on a Friday night, and none of the dealers near me had one in stock, so I just bought one from NAPA. Looked and felt exactly like the OEM one. Honestly, you could probably just hose it out with brake cleaner, it's a simple thing, just listen for the little jiggler that should rattle when you shake it, mine was stuck solid.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Before:
View attachment 1830333

View attachment 1830336
That looks like you were running on Grey Poupon rather than oil.

image.png

Check your PCV valve. Most likely, it's jammed up, and the crankcase is not venting right. The moisture in the engine that gets blown out the PCV will mix with the oil under the cap like that if it has no other path to get out.
I've had blown HG r

I've just replaced a cracked cylinder head just two months ago on my 80's series 1fzfe(93) and found today a creamy colour sludge on radiator cap could this be a PCV valve problem!!! or am I reliving the same nightmare..will be taking it back to mechanic after Easter holidays break. Down under (AU) check the pic below..cheers

20210328_143515.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom