2F cooler and filter bracket?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
trying to finish up my 2F. can i put a tapped plate over the 2 holes for the cooler mount and run an aftermarket filter and cooler.???

trying to finish up my 2F. can i put a tapped plate over the 2 holes for the cooler mount and run an aftermarket filter and cooler.???

Why Utah Bob ?

- The 2F oil cooler was a Option early On , Then became standard in the Later years , or at least that's what the Original Toyota Parts Micro Fiche i have says

- Why was it a Option , for what purposes was it intended & Why did toyota make both a NON-Oil cooler equipped 2F & a Oil Cooler Equipped 2F simultaneously during the USA Spec. production run 1975-1987 ?

- Maybe @devo Bob knows ?

- My USA Spec. 12/78 FJ40 2F my folks bought me at age 16 in high school circa 1990 did NOT have one ?

- My 6/80 USA spec FJ40 2F Did have one

- My 9/83 FJ43L-KC FJ43 2F i currently have does Not have one

- My shop clients 1/79 FJ55 2F Does Have one

etc .......

The oil coolers main purpose is to Cool the Oil , maintain a consistent oil temperature , and also Aid during Cold start / warm Up conditions

preserve engine oil life & longevity

beyond that ..................................

just install the OEM oil cooler , u will be better off in the long run using it VS a aftermarket oil filter mounting system that will be prone to leaks and fail in the short term

Im sure other folks will Have input to ADD here too on this topic :

Last edited:
Why Utah Bob ?

- The 2F oil cooler was a Option early On , Then became standard in the Later years , or at least thats what the original Micro Fiche is have says

- Why was it a Option , for what purposes was it intended & Why did toyota make both a NON-Oil cooler equipped 2F & a Oil Cooler Equipped 2F simultaneously during the USA Spec. production run 1975-1987 ?

- My USA Spec. 12/78 FJ40 2F my folks bought me at age 16 in high school circa 1990 did NOT have one ?

- My 6/80 USA spec FJ40 2F Did have one

- My 9/83 FJ43L-KC FJ43 2F i currently have does Not have one

- My shop clients 1/79 FJ55 2F Does Have one

etc .......

The oil coolers main purpose is to Cool the Oil , maintain a consistent oil temperature , and also Aid during Cold start / warm Up conditions

preserve engine oil life & longevity

beyond that ..................................

just install the OEM oil cooler , u will be better off in the long run using it VS a aftermarket oil filter mounting system that will be prone to leaks and fail in the short term

Im sure other folks will add input here too on this topic
my problem is the old housing is looking like it is gonna fail. heavy rust and scale. i know they arent cheap, and i have a new 12 pass cooler from my sand rail that never go installed. trying to be proactive.

To me, the oil cooler is more of a regulator than a cooler. It doesn't exchange heat with ambient air temperature as does an aftermarket cooler, it only exchanges heat with the radiator fluid - so it is never going to cool the oil to less than ~190 F. It will however help the oil to warm up faster on a cold day. Before the advent of synthetic oil and its superior flow and wear characteristics, having your oil get up to engine temp. and down to its rated viscosity quickly was an advantage. If you drive your 2F-equipped Cruiser in a cold climate and use dino oil, the cooler would still be a good idea IMO. But if I lived in a temperate climate, I would not be too worried about deleting it, if it leaked or broke. My opinion only; YMMV.

To me, the oil cooler is more of a regulator than a cooler. It doesn't exchange heat with ambient air temperature as does an aftermarket cooler, it only exchanges heat with the radiator fluid - so it is never going to cool the oil to less than ~190 F. It will however help the oil to warm up faster on a cold day. Before the advent of synthetic oil and its superior flow and wear characteristics, having your oil get up to engine temp. and down to its rated viscosity quickly was an advantage. If you drive your 2F-equipped Cruiser in a cold climate and use dino oil, the cooler would still be a good idea IMO. But if I lived in a temperate climate, I would not be too worried about deleting it, if it leaked or broke. My opinion only; YMMV.

How come Toyota calls it a " Cooler " on the Micro-Fiche Diagram ?

they call air conditioning related parts " Cooler " too in the parts description

this is a interesting topic , thanks for the input @1911 :)

I was chatting with JimC several months ago. I live in southern FL. I asked him about deleting the cooler to simplify my engine swap as my old 1975 2F didn’t have it and I figured modern oils were better anyhow. Less hoses are better in my book. He recommended keeping it. That was all I needed to hear. I believe his stance was based on the shear the oil sees in the main bearings with modern speeds/loads. Maybe that’s why Toyota added them, increasing speeds/shear? Dunno. I just know Jim recommended to keep it, so I did.

Don't leave home without It ..............

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I recently rebuilt / Restored a 1981 2F oil cooler FJ40

- Media blast & Clean

- Dissemble

- clean more & even more .........

IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0503.JPG
IMG_0505.JPG
IMG_0506.JPG

- tape off brass polished & paint OEM chassis black

- use ONLY OEM mounting hardware , O-rings & Copper crush washers ................ONLY

- Note : I applied Toyota OEM Black FIPG 00295-00103 Oil Pan & Camshaft Housing Sealant to Both sides of the Oil Filter Housing Gasket & a " Skim Coat " to oil pressure Sending Unit Male Threads ( Very Carefully ) for added piece of mind
& a Bomb Proof No Leaks anytime in the Future Mindset Approach.....

IMG_0517.JPG
IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG

Last edited:
- banjo bolts , tourque to specs install

- cap off coolant ports with rubber caps

- install OEM oil pressure sending unit

- I followed the FSM instructions step by step , and had NO issues what so ever .

IMG_0549.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0625.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG

Last edited:
How come Toyota calls it a " Cooler " on the Micro-Fiche Diagram ?

they call air conditioning related parts " Cooler " too in the parts description

this is a interesting topic , thanks for the input @1911 :)

I dunno; why did they call the vacuum-source nipple on the intake manifold on smogged 40's a "gas filter"? Engrish? Who knows.

As I said, the oil cooler does cool, but only down to (about) the radiator temperature, not a huge difference in my book. I have a lot of experience with conventional oil coolers on air-cooled engines; there, you can cool the oil up to 25 degrees by heat-exchanging with the ambient air. Since water-cooled engines are not heating the oil up as much in the first place, and the 2F is using radiator coolant at around 190 F instead of ambient air at 70-90 F (or less), the delta T and the ultimate benefit is a lot smaller. I still have the stock oil cooler on my 2F; I would not take it off unless it broke - but if it did, I wouldn't lose sleep over ditching it.

I dunno; why did they call the vacuum-source nipple on the intake manifold on smogged 40's a "gas filter"? Engrish? Who knows.

As I said, the oil cooler does cool, but only down to (about) the radiator temperature, not a huge difference in my book. I have a lot of experience with conventional oil coolers on air-cooled engines; there, you can cool the oil up to 25 degrees by heat-exchanging with the ambient air. Since water-cooled engines are not heating the oil up as much in the first place, and the 2F is using radiator coolant at around 190 F instead of ambient air at 70-90 F (or less), the delta T and the ultimate benefit is a lot smaller. I still have the stock oil cooler on my 2F; I would not take it off unless it broke - but if it did, I wouldn't lose sleep over ditching it.

111.jpg

Solid info ,

take a look @ my 4th photo in post # 9 , the NOS oil cooler image , look closly at the banjo fitting bolt holes .

I recall seeing Rows of Fins like a Radiator almost in the cooler i restored , Very similar to or actually are a type of heat dissipation " Thing "

and or Design .

I wonder how The Use of & Implementation factor while driving Under load in warm to HOT ambient Conditions while Using Full Synthetic

Valvoline 20W50 Motor oil
& LUCAS Full Synthetic Oil Stabilizer plays into this Optional OEM Oil Cooler topic o_O

if at all ?

@1911

DSCN8839.JPG
DSCN0003.JPG

Last edited:
take a look @ my 4th photo in post # 9 , the NOS oil cooler image , look closly at the banjo fitting bolt holes .

I recall seeing Rows of Fins like a Radiator almost in the cooler i restored , Very similar to or actually are a type of heat dissipation " Thing "

and or Design .

Yes; it is in fact a heat exchanger, albeit pretty small. Heat exchangers are all about surface area, hence the fins to increase it. A radiator is just a large heat exchanger.

I wonder how The Use of & Implementation factor while driving Under load in warm to HOT ambient Conditions while Using Full Synthetic

Valvoline 20W50 Motor oil
& LUCAS Full Synthetic Oil Stabilizer plays into this Optional OEM Oil Cooler topic o_O

if at all ?

I personally don't have any experience with either Valvoline synthetic oil or the Lucas stabilizer, but I am completely sold on the value of full-synthetic oil, again based my experience as an air-cooled motorcycle mechanic. Use of synthetic oil in those applications reduced engine temperatures and provided superior wear resistance (based on multiple engine tear-downs). I use full-synthetic oil in all of my vehicles; I use Amsoil because I can buy it in bulk and at wholesale prices, but I have used Mobil 1 in the past with good results also. I think a lot of people make good full-synthetic oil these days, including Valvoline and Lucas.

Full disclosure: I am actually using Shell Rotella T in my 2F right now, because it has higher levels of ZDDP than most oil, plus my valve guides are leaking and I don't have the time or space to replace them right now.

Yes; it is in fact a heat exchanger, albeit pretty small. Heat exchangers are all about surface area, hence the fins to increase it. A radiator is just a large heat exchanger.

I personally don't have any experience with either Valvoline synthetic oil or the Lucas stabilizer, but I am completely sold on the value of full-synthetic oil, again based my experience as an air-cooled motorcycle mechanic. Use of synthetic oil in those applications reduced engine temperatures and provided superior wear resistance (based on multiple engine tear-downs). I use full-synthetic oil in all of my vehicles; I use Amsoil because I can buy it in bulk and at wholesale prices, but I have used Mobil 1 in the past with good results also. I think a lot of people make good full-synthetic oil these days, including Valvoline and Lucas.

Full disclosure: I am actually using Shell Rotella T in my 2F right now, because it has higher levels of ZDDP than most oil, plus my valve guides are leaking and I don't have the time or space to replace them right now.

Theirs this , Its compatible with Full synthetic at every oil change , Not just break in Period

Note: i don't use it all the time , only at break-in

I prefer LUCAS OIL Stabilizer product above

IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG

Spoken like an A/C mechanic.

Sometimes, I wish I was - but no, that's probably a relic from three semesters of college physics, including thermodynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom