Horn condenser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Inside one of my horns is a single lead metal condenser (right side of attached image with black wire). It appears to be the cause of my horn not working as the horn works when power is directly applied to the coil. Basically bypassing the condensor. Anyways, trying to get an idea what rating it is?

20181112_124527.jpg

I suspect the condenser is just to prevent arcing, and that size isn't critical. But, you still need one. Hard to tell the physical size in your photo, but could you just swap in a condenser from (say) a 1973 Ford (point-set ignition) and try that?

The value should be stamped on the Capacitor. xx uF or mF and xx V.
It.s not a critical value. The horn should work without it.

Rudi

I suspect the condenser is just to prevent arcing, and that size isn't critical. But, you still need one. Hard to tell the physical size in your photo, but could you just swap in a condenser from (say) a 1973 Ford (point-set ignition) and try that?

Thanks Steve,

I went by the auto parts store and found one about the right physical size. I'm sure that will take care of the issue.

The value should be stamped on the Capacitor. xx uF or mF and xx V.
It.s not a critical value. The horn should work without it.

Rudi

Unfortunately Rudi there are no markings. I've had a little background with electronics so hopefully a condenser for a point ignition will suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom