What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pulled the rear wheels off again to install the parking brake shoes and new hardware. Still need to return the wrong shoes the dealer sold me.
Before:View attachment 1829883

After:
View attachment 1829882

I've been noticing a sort of knocking/grinding sound on cold start up. Vid sucks because it was still dark out but it's the sound that's important. Opinions? I ordered a new water pump because it's time and I think maybe it's the culprit but not sure. Haven't been about to use my mechanic's stethoscope yet.

disable the pair and egr momentarily and see if it goes away..............mine start up noise did

I used Aisin actuators. I felt the design wasn’t super engineered enough to make me feel uncomfortable with aftermarket. They installed perfectly, without figment issues. Plug was identical to factory. They work perfect. Like tplane2 said, they were pretty cheap. Got mine from rock auto.

Letting the JBWeld dry on the fender flare I scored from the wrecking yard and about to put this antenna on.
I recently did the same and found the Aisin actuator to be identical to the original - even the marks from the plastic mold.

prepped the rear in receiving new bumper n tire carrier.
GACe6d2.jpg

disable the pair and egr momentarily and see if it goes away..............mine start up noise did
No pair on this one. Sound is definitely from the front of the motor.

View attachment 1828861 View attachment 1828860 View attachment 1828862 Refurbished my combination meter while in the process of replacing all dash bulbs, installing my CB and a blue sea power outlet wired hot all the time.

I used a 3m headlight resto kit. Before and after pics don’t do the difference any justice. It was dirty and covered in tiny scratches.

The before polishing photo ended up in the middle.

Got a link for the restoration kit. I need to do this on mine too. Got quite a bunch of scratches.

Got a link for the restoration kit. I need to do this on mine too. Got quite a bunch of scratches.
No link, I just went down to auto zone and chose the 3M kit on sale for $28.

Builds - Bushdoctor' LX 450 - 80's Build Progress - "Berky"

Installed the slee headlight upgrade harness. Very happy with the improved light output. Researching alternate HIR bulbs. Welcoming any suggestions for even better output. (Can't afford depo lights for now).

New battery bracket. Like it but will need to mod it some to better accommodate the battery I'm running.

Builds - Bushdoctor' LX 450 - 80's Build Progress - "Berky"

Rock auto for 9011 bulbs (use for both low and high beam). Cheap and effective, requires slight modification to the bulb to make it fit.

upload_2018-11-12_13-57-50.png

Rock auto for 9011 bulbs (use for both low and high beam). Cheap and effective, requires slight modification to the bulb to make it fit.

View attachment 1830445

I did that on the 100 and it worked great..Will try the same on the 80. The 9005 has been a hustle taking out. The space is tight and my oversized hands are having a hard time getting through

I went with the 9011s as my first attempt to improve the headlights on my '97 and haven't worried about taking further steps since. I'm sure there are higher output/performance options but for the night driving I've done so far these in stock housings have performed well and the price/ease of install is great for a truck that will have other more pressing issues for a long time yet. This setup also makes it cheaper to buy spares if desired or easier to find replacement bulbs off the shelf than some headlight setups would.

upload_2018-11-12_13-57-50-png.1830445

Finished off all the fluid changes that I do each time the hour goes forward/back. I am down to literally 2 winter projects on my truck so it was nice to drive it for change ...a short 4hours to Miami let her stretch her legs..

IMG_20181112_180312_925.jpg

Early last week I lubed the driveline as it gave me an excuse to try out my set of 12-ton Harbor Freight jack-stands. $150 for all four with several coupons at a sale last month. Would I trust them with 12 tons?, probably not, but they held up the 3 tons of 80 just fine. As a poor man's lift they work great.

12 ton jackstands.jpg

I then spent the last 5 days troubleshooting solar installations at schools in Haiti. This solar system below is a school in Port au Prince. (Note the chimneys shading the solar array. This is NOT how you want your array installed. Every little bit of shaded panel significantly cuts down on total power generated. On any given day, between the chimneys and the palm trees, this array only puts out about 60% of what it is rated for.)

Solar.jpg

300 year old Cathedral of St. Anne's in Anse-à-Veau, Nippes Dept, Haiti. The Bishop has great taste in vehicles :).

Bishops Cruiser.jpg

I also learned on this trip that drinking beer is an effective prevention against getting Cholera. As it was explained to me by a Dr. on the trip, mild alcohol intake raises the acidity in the stomach and kills many bacteria, including Cholera. Below I am chilling our vaccines :D (using electricity from the above pictured solar power system).

Vaccines 1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom