Collapsed suspension. What to replace with? (1 Viewer)

To lift, or not to lift?

• Stock height

• .5" lift

• .75" lift

• 1" or greater lift.

• Just do an adjustable and figure the height out later.

Results are only viewable after voting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry for the delay... been so busy I didn't have chance to install the shocks until the other week.

First time I installed them, and as I was giving the bolts a final check I realized I installed the driver's side spring on the passenger side.:doh:

So the next week I pulled them off and swapped the springs around.
I installed the shocks with the circlip in the second groove which according to the piece if paper that came with the shocks that should give it a .67" lift. I think it just compensated for my bumper.

Old and new
WP_20171126_14_21_12_Pro.jpg

Truck's weight on and off
WP_20171128_21_41_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20171128_21_43_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20171128_21_41_58_Proshare.jpg

WP_20171128_21_43_19_Proshare.jpg

Last edited:
You mentioned you were going to put an AAL in the back end. Do that? If so, how'd it work out? I'm planning to do that next month - not wanting to get a whole bunch of lift over where it's supposed to be but hoping it just gives a little life back to the original leaf springs that are there. Gonna put the 5100s up front with the original coils on the middle setting and hoping that comes out close to level.

Reactions: N22
You mentioned you were going to put an AAL in the back end. Do that? If so, how'd it work out? I'm planning to do that next month - not wanting to get a whole bunch of lift over where it's supposed to be but hoping it just gives a little life back to the original leaf springs that are there. Gonna put the 5100s up front with the original coils on the middle setting and hoping that comes out close to level.

Nice bit of lift on the front. Thanks for posting the results. The tail looks low in that pic so I'm assuming no work to the rear springs yet. This winter I'm going to rebuild my leaf packs per the OMD method over on Tacoma World. Rather than buy new springs that are reported to sag pretty quickly again. Just have to get to the junkyard to find some old Chevy truck springs.

Are those still the 235/85 tires? I like that look.

Reactions: N22
Sorry for the slow reply. I was in the mountains for a few weeks without internet.

Haven't got round to working on the rears yet. Did tighten up the cheap spring helpers the PO installed, between that and swapping the bed for an lighter aluminum flatbed the truck now sits level empty. But as soon as you put a load on it sags to the bump stops. My resent trip made it obvious work was needed in that department.

I want to do some more research on the rears.
That OMD method looks interesting.

I did end up moving the circlip up one notch in the front Bilsteins, to make the CV shafts about level. Not sure how much lift (if any) I got from them. Bear in mind I have a 120lb bumper on the front so you may not need to go so high if you have a stock bumper. So far I've been happy with the 5100s with Moog coils.

I still have 235/85R16 tires on the truck. Love the way it looks.
But I did swap the A/Ts for new Hankook M/Ts 5000 miles ago.

I'll try to get a few pictures posted tomorrow of how it sits now.

Last edited:
I'm VERY happy with the set up I have now:

Bilstein 6112

47-267558 - BILSTEIN Truck & Off Road - B8 6112 Series Suspension Kit - Race Consulting Agency - PARTS | KNOWLEDGE | PASSION

OME Rear Leaf w/ Toytec Boss:

CS046RA/B - Old Man Emu Complete Rear Springs with Bushings ('98-'04 Tacoma)

TAC9604R-P ToyTec Rear Boss Shocks - (95.5-04 Tacoma & 86-95 Pickup)

If you want it level and want around 1.5" on front and back you set the fronts for 1.5" and take out the 2nd overload leaf as they suggest.

I left the rear the way it shipped for extra gear capacity - get a stink bug, but loaded it is great.

I just finished mine a couple of weeks ago. Used the CS046RA/B Leafs with 2nd overload leaf removed in the back.
FK21 Exhaust Bracket
Essentially the 5100 set for tacos
Bilstein 33-247724
Bilstein 33-247717
two of the Bilstein 33-247724 for the back
81104 Moog front coil set

My tires are tiered and my front coils were sagging enough to be obvious.
From fender to ground i was at 33.75" before up front but set the new 5100s at 1.5" and now it is at 36.5" up front
Once I get the new tires that have tread and are 265 75r16s it should add another inch or so.

the rear sits at 37" from fender to ground. I know i should have measured to the center of the wheel but I am lazy.
Since it is no longer pointing nose down, I will have to adjust the headlights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom