First big trip on Friday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to drive the 80 with a pregnant wife and 3 year old son all the way to LA from Portland next week.

Any tips on things to do to help economy?

Already did the steering studs, u-joints, and new driveshaft/joints in the rear. Inflated my 35s to 35.

Appreciate it!

Scott

West coast huh... this is going to sound a bit strange to you, but the best thing for the economy is to lower taxes and reduce government regulations.

If you’re asking about fuel economy, your best option is to tow it behind your Prius. Nothing else you do is going to be of any significant help. It’s going to get 12-14mpg.

Good look and have fun. Post some pics of all the tent cities and shanty towns along the way.

It was never what one would consider an economic vehicle to begin with. From the factory the fuel economy was garbage. That being said, if you haven't corrected your gearing or at least have an accurately calibrated yellowbox you're not going to be able get accurate mpg calculations anyway. However, if you have an accurately calibrated speed recalibrater or have regeared, then other than full PM...nothing is going to get you better economy except to use clear premium fuel. You're going to be seeing a decline in economy due to the changeover to winter blend fuel. Clear premium will negate the economy difference and may even give you slightly better economy. If you haven't regeared or got a yellowbox, you should. You will not only be able to attain true economy numbers, but you will also get better fuel economy because your transmission will be shifting properly again. There is my nonsensical $.02

Your 35s can take more air pressure than that if theyre Load C or E. In fact, if theyre load C or E, 35 is under-inflated

50mph. Not practical, but it works.

West coast huh... this is going to sound a bit strange to you, but the best thing for the economy is to lower taxes and reduce government regulations.

If you’re asking about fuel economy, your best option is to tow it behind your Prius. Nothing else you do is going to be of any significant help. It’s going to get 12-14mpg.

Good look and have fun. Post some pics of all the tent cities and shanty towns along the way.

Trust me. House is on the market, looking at Tennessee.

50mph. Not practical, but it works.

This - the biggest determinant of fuel efficiency will be under your right foot. Strictly speaking, 45 mph would be even better, but you'll probably piss off a lot of fellow travelers.

I'm doing the reverse drive from LA to Seattle soon. Looking forward to it after hauling arse from ATL to Jackson, Jackson to El Paso, and El Paso to LA in 3 days. Brutal, but nothing the 22 year old jalopy couldn't handle.

If you're a coffee fan, check out Barista in the Pearl District. Portland serves up some of the best coffee in the world. Def making a pit stop there.

Enjoy!

If you drive 45 or 50 you’ll get better mpg. Drive safe and enjoy the ride. If you’re not in a rush, get off the interstate. It’s a beautiful ride if you take the side roads south.

Sitting still, driving 75, or having fun off road I average 4 hours to a tank.

Realistically, 60-65mph will help without pissing everyone off and getting you there a day late. I pump my tires up to 40psi for a road trip. Try to draft the semi trucks.

This - the biggest determinant of fuel efficiency will be under your right foot. Strictly speaking, 45 mph would be even better, but you'll probably piss off a lot of fellow travelers.

I'm doing the reverse drive from LA to Seattle soon. Looking forward to it after hauling arse from ATL to Jackson, Jackson to El Paso, and El Paso to LA in 3 days. Brutal, but nothing the 22 year old jalopy couldn't handle.

If you're a coffee fan, check out Barista in the Pearl District. Portland serves up some of the best coffee in the world. Def making a pit stop there.

Enjoy!

Ha! I lived in Portland until the BS got too crazy. Used to go to Barista every day. Now we live in the Mt Hood area and I make my own Black Rifle Coffee, AK47 blend.

Don't let the fuel economy ruin your trip. If time permits, take a more interesting path than I-5.

Do not drive 45-50mph. Please. I would set the cruise control the speed limit when you are on long stretches of highway but I would find a more interesting path than interstate especially with the opportunity for an adventure with your kid. :)

Portland to LA - maybe just under 1000 miles? At 15mpg and $2.50 a gallon it is around $160 for the trip - and that's for 3 of you. I doubt if you cold fly that cheap.

I think we are around the $2.35 mark at the moment however the west cost doesn't have the toll roads we have and the X2 insurance costs. Count yourselves lucky that your gas is the only expensive commodity...:)

40+psi; 64 MPH is my sweet spot; cruise control, lighten the load, no roof racks: might get barely above 14 MPG.

Enjoy the trip.

40+psi; 64 MPH is my sweet spot; cruise control, lighten the load, no roof racks: might get barely above 14 MPG.

Enjoy the trip.

40+? I have them right at 40. Is 45 better?

Also I was thinking about removing the Prinsu, but it's pretty low profile...

BTW has anyone seen the Gas Buddy site? It takes a lot to impress me with technology, but wow that is pretty cool. I put my vehicle info in, and my origin/destination (you can still update the MPGs). They seek out stations along the way, and plot them out for me. Based on this, I stand to save $95.00 by using the cheapest stations. Pretty cool.

Gas Trip Calculator. Find lowest fuel prices & save - GasBuddy.com - GasBuddy.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom