Lost Unswitched Power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the ignition key rod in my 1999 LX470 with AHC. I bought the Toyota part, i.e. the rod with the housing. I did not buy the inexpensive eBay replica part. I installed the rod without the new "housing", meaning I kept the old "housing".

After installing the rod (not a trivial task) and replacing everything, I have no power to anything until I insert and turn on the ignition key. By this, I mean, that there are:
1. no interior lights,
2. the key fob no longer works to unlock doors
3. the clock resets to 1 pm,
and other similar electrical issues.

With the key on, everything works fine. It's the "default" or "unswitched" electrical power that is missing.

My best guess was that I left something unplugged. Tore the same dash panels off and can't find anything.
Second guess was a fuse. Haven't found a fuse issue but I'm not convinced that I found the correct fuse.
Another guess is that the part was wrong and a cam-like thing is missing from the new part that would otherwise push on something to make an electrical connection.

Suggestions?

I just did this repair myself, did not have this issue. You must have unplugged something up under the dash. Key fob no longer working is a new one on me. Did you change anything under the hood by chance and forgot? Check battery connections, and again for loose wires or connections up under the dash.

Welcome!

Make sure dimmer switch/dial wire housing is plugged in.
Recheck all wire housing in area IG, by unplugging then re-plugging in.
Check the battery on you key fob, see if its light comes on when pressed.

If IG goes into lock position, then AC, ON, then springs back from start position likely good.

Dimmer switch may have got turned all the way down. When I had mine out, I think everything defaulted to bright. Maybe some stuff was off. Hmm.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Maybe a better question is, Can anyone tell me what wire/fuse/connector brings unswitched power to the following electrical items:

1. Door locks
2. The dash clock
3. Interior lights that illuminate when you open a door

I’ve lost only the unswitched power. After the key is turned on, everything works to include the door locks, dash clock, and interior lights that illuminate when you open the door.

Last edited:
You may have pulled on wire harness to BODY ECU. I'd think you would find some DTC, possible still just pending. It which case CEL would not yet have activated, but may after 3 times IG on off cycles. I would also think other electrical things would be messing up. Check all fuse boxes also, under hood and in side of foot wells. PS for sure has fuses not sure about DS on a 99. Also disconnect battery for 20 minutes to reset ECUs, may help.
001.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom