Wet passenger floor -- even after recommended fixes! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm experiencing a wet passenger floorboard during and after rains, even after scouring all the related threads and performing all the checks and potential fixes. Originally, I had a wet pax floorboard along with an occasional drip of water from the top of the windshield by the rear view mirror and some wetness on the interior A-pillar trim. So here's a summary of what I did to address:

- Resealed the windshield with sealant on both body and glass sides of moulding. This fixed the water drops coming from the top of the windshield during turns.
- Did the bike tire mod on the sunroof seal/moulding. This seemed to fix the A-pillar wetness.
- Checked and cleared sunroof drains. All 4 seem to be draining just fine, pulled kick panel interior trim and couldn't find and signs of kinking.
- Checked AC condensation drain. Drain goes through firewall as designed, no wetness around seal. I get a puddle of condensate under the truck at the firewall, as designed.
- Checked rocker panel drains - rocker panel free of debris (I think) and plugs are all in place.

This is driving me nuts. The floorboard gets wet either while driving in rain or after rain when roads are wet and if the truck is parked during rain. I guess the only other thing I can think of is the front passenger fender was removed, repaired and replaced by a body shop about a year ago. I had never had any leak issues before that. For those who have taken the fender off, can you think of anything that the shop may have messed up when reinstalling? Any seals, panel gaps or trim that I can check? Any advice would be appreciated!

Maybe the cowl drains are clogged with leaf goo?

What are the cowl drains? Are those the channels that run down the A pillar on either side of the windshield?

Are all the floor plugs in the floor pan? Or up higher if the body shop did not replace firewall or floor plugs?

Do the sunroof drains go all the way down the A-pillar and terminate inside the rocker panels or are they short and terminate above, leaking into the passenger floor?

Are all the floor plugs in the floor pan? Or up higher if the body shop did not replace firewall or floor plugs?

Do the sunroof drains go all the way down the A-pillar and terminate inside the rocker panels or are they short and terminate above, leaking into the passenger floor?

Not sure about the floor pan plugs. Are you talking interior or exterior?

That was a question I had about the sunroof drain hose actually, I can see it through the small metal opening in the body panel after I remove the plastic trim. I can't see where it goes down below though, and it does seem to be really loose, like it's not anchored at the bottom anywhere. How can I check to see if it drains into the rocker directly?

Not sure about the floor pan plugs. Are you talking interior or exterior?

That was a question I had about the sunroof drain hose actually, I can see it through the small metal opening in the body panel after I remove the plastic trim. I can't see where it goes down below though, and it does seem to be really loose, like it's not anchored at the bottom anywhere. How can I check to see if it drains into the rocker directly?

If it is going PAST the lower opening in the A-Pillar behind the kick panel, then you're OK. The A-Pillar opens into the rocker panel. The hose is not anchored in there.

There are floor plugs that keep the inside inside and the outside outside. Lift the door sill on that side, then the outer 5-6" of carpet, and you'll see plugs about 1" in diameter that go through the floor. There are a series of 3 or 4 along that side of the truck to drain if the body fills with water. They allow water IN if they are left out. They also allow in rodents.

Also make sure your rocker panel drains are not clogged. You can use a zip tie to clean them out of the pinch welds at the bottom of the rocker.

Rocker panel drain. Lay on the ground outside the truck, look at the pinch welds on the rocker panel (area directly below the doors). There will be slits. Stick a zip tie into each and every slit and move it around to dislodge the junk. Keep your mouth shut as the stink water loves to go....right into your mouth. If that doesn't work you can always take the side kick panel off and move the clear tubing from inside the panel to outside the panel and place it into one of the floor plug holes to drain right outside.

Cowl drain (if I remember correctly) involves taking off the windshield wipers and the sheet metal right above it. There''s a mod for a cabin air filter for that too? Age and lack of wrenching is making me crazier than normal. Leaves and crud could be in there. Good call @surfpig

Or was that on the 60? Crud, can't remember.

I second Travis' diagnosis of the rocker panel drains. The zip tie trick works on the slits but a quicker way to drain them is to pull a couple of the plastic plugs. Get out of the way when you do this! I had over a gallon in my passenger side rocker and it comes out in a steady stream! Mine didn't stink, but then neither does my sh@t so....

If it is going PAST the lower opening in the A-Pillar behind the kick panel, then you're OK. The A-Pillar opens into the rocker panel. The hose is not anchored in there.

There are floor plugs that keep the inside inside and the outside outside. Lift the door sill on that side, then the outer 5-6" of carpet, and you'll see plugs about 1" in diameter that go through the floor. There are a series of 3 or 4 along that side of the truck to drain if the body fills with water. They allow water IN if they are left out. They also allow in rodents.

Also make sure your rocker panel drains are not clogged. You can use a zip tie to clean them out of the pinch welds at the bottom of the rocker.

Ok here’s what I’m working with. I checked the forward most plug (see pic) and it was bone dry in the rocker. The next pic shows the sunroof drain tube. Should it be tucked inside that metal “pocket”? Looks like it just dumps down onto the floor board like that. While I’m at it, what are those two unused harness plugs? Looks like one might be for the amp bypass. Thanks again y’all!!

AE0E019A-53E0-4546-9C69-2A2B4D35F487.jpeg

F3534219-C182-456F-AAFB-7379CD10A87D.jpeg

72335E19-C09D-4EB7-811C-1CA6806DB948.jpeg

Also pulled this floor pan plug. Totally clear. Shoved a zip tie up the sunroof pinch drain exit point in the rocker once more just for fun, poured water through and drains perfectly.

033E77F8-C416-49ED-A147-3E97D2F25B47.jpeg

Yes, inside that metal pocket is how it should look. That drains into the rocker panel.

The plugs in the floor are correct. If those plugs were still in place then you should not get any water into the cabin from the outside. If those plugs were MISSING, then that could be why the carper is getting wet.

The only things that typically get the carper wet on the passenger side are:
Sunroof Drains
Windshield leaks
A/C evaporator drain
Heater Core leaking antifreeze

The hardest one to diagnose is the windshield leaks. This is frequently a pull out the seat, lay on the floor,with a flashlight, and have someone else soak the truck in specific areas with a hose or cup of water to determine the causes.

I would pull the trim panel on the a pillar and the kick panel. Also the sun visor and then have someone on the outside run a hose with water on the roof and other areas. This was how i found the windshield leak.

Exactly what did you do to seal around the windshield?
It's notoriously unreliable to just add sealant around a windshield.

If the fender was removed, check around where it bolts to the body inside the wheel well. There's a press metal bracket on the outside of the fire wall that can collect water and rust through.
This often shows up after driving in wet conditions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom