Registry U.S. 70's Registration. (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3C3FCA59-5003-4D8A-854E-846C8109DE74.jpeg
5AB49EEF-818E-450F-B824-80DB3FF05A45.jpeg
DC5D08C2-C60E-4084-89FD-758203BEAC68.jpeg
Lhd,1hdt,safari intercooler , alucab camper, dual tank,Schheelman seats,lockers

Gotta love those graphics. :)
yeah, I love those retro 4x4 graphics , this one is from Spain, many I've seen from there have similar decals. When we lived in Venezuela the 60s came with something very similar as well and it was cool.

Hi, Has anyone tried to register a Diesel LJ78 (Land Cruiser Prado) in Colorado? I thought 25 yr + diesel imports are exempt from diesel emissions. I could not register today. I need a Certified VIN Inspection by the State Patrol. The first available appointment is Nov 5th. Then I have to take it for diesel emissions testing. I assume it will fail. I have to get it fixed/pass or show receipts for at least US$700 to get an exemption approved . Has anyone experienced this?

7789130320_IMG_1410.jpg

I have so far successfully registered 3 diesel LandCruisers in Colorado. No problems at all. 25+ years old or not, they are NOT exempt from diesel emissions testing--all three of mine passed, though one took two tries (had to adjust the fuel screw about a 1/4 turn to get it good).

You can get a VIN inspection from the State Patrol, but they also do it at the DMV for a fee (at least here in Boulder, they do), and you can also get them at a Toyota dealer, which is where I got mine. Take the form with you, they may not have one.

Did you import this yourself? Or buy it straight from an importer WITHOUT it having been previously registered in the USA (i.e. in Colorado or another state)? If so, the State of Colorado publishes a list of what you'll need when you go to register a foreign market car here. If you have everything on the list, you're golden. OTOH, if the vehicle has been previously registered in CO or another state, you probably only need the Bill of Sale, emissions certificate, VIN verification, and proof of insurance to get it registered here.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

I have so far successfully registered 3 diesel LandCruisers in Colorado. No problems at all. 25+ years old or not, they are NOT exempt from diesel emissions testing--all three of mine passed, though one took two tries (had to adjust the fuel screw about a 1/4 turn to get it good).

You can get a VIN inspection from the State Patrol, but they also do it at the DMV for a fee (at least here in Boulder, they do), and you can also get them at a Toyota dealer, which is where I got mine. Take the form with you, they may not have one.

Did you import this yourself? Or buy it straight from an importer WITHOUT it having been previously registered in the USA (i.e. in Colorado or another state)? If so, the State of Colorado publishes a list of what you'll need when you go to register a foreign market car here. If you have everything on the list, you're golden. OTOH, if the vehicle has been previously registered in CO or another state, you probably only need the Bill of Sale, emissions certificate, VIN verification, and proof of insurance to get it registered here.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
-------
Thanks for the info. I was concerned if mine will pass, considering it was not built for the US. I have an appt with the CSP on Nov 5th for the VIN inspection (Certified VIN Inspections | Colorado General Assembly). I already got a VIN inspection done by the Douglas county Sharif's office on form DR2698, but its not good enough Then I will take it for the diesel emissions check. fingers crossed. Good news is I have a 60-day temporary plates now. Drove the cruiser for the first time....around 100km....

Ahh...good old Colorado emissions. :mad: I'm so glad we live in an area that doesn't do testing.
All diesels within testing areas must be tested regardless of year on diesels. It's basically an Opacity test on how much is it smoking.

Most of the places just run an opacity monitor in the tailpipe. You then have to floor it, WOT and they see how much it smokes. Very little smoke, good pay us $80 and be on your way. Basically all the "coal rollers" just remove their tune, or actually use an emissions tune, or if manual adjust the fuel so it won't smoke. :poof: Either way, you are basically stuck unless you have a friend that lives in an Exempt area.
My guess is, that if the cruiser is running well and not smoking, you won't have any issues passing.

Got mine in the driveway!!

1990 HZJ73, auto, 1HZ, OME lift, 24V Japanese Domestic, then registered in NZ, then here in central Oregon.

SUPER EXCITED, it's the closest I get to a dream car :)

IMG_4577.jpg

Sorry, this is not about registration. I am in Denver, Colorado (Actually in Highlands Ranch, south suburb). Looking for a shop that knows Land Cruiser LJ78s....Slee Offroad was recommended in the forums, but they work on 80s and up. Castle Rock Imports was also recommended, but they don't work on older cruisers. My steering feel is loose, want to get it checked. Also my stock wheels and tires look very odd. Looking to see if 17x8.5 in wheels with 285/65R17 will fit without rubbing and with no lift.
thank you

Sorry, this is not about registration. I am in Denver, Colorado (Actually in Highlands Ranch, south suburb). Looking for a shop that knows Land Cruiser LJ78s....Slee Offroad was recommended in the forums, but they work on 80s and up. Castle Rock Imports was also recommended, but they don't work on older cruisers. My steering feel is loose, want to get it checked. Also my stock wheels and tires look very odd. Looking to see if 17x8.5 in wheels with 285/65R17 will fit without rubbing and with no lift.
thank you
Robbie Antonson (powderpig here on Mud), Adventure Off Road in Boulder. He can easily handle steering. As for wheels and tires, search here and/or post up a question on the tech forum. I'm nearly certain someone will have an answer or will have already tried that combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom