Loss of coolant, Blown head gasket, cracked block? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1977 FJ40 that I had rebuilt here in Nicaragua, including a full rebuild and machining of the 2f motor last year. I have been running on longer trips at higher speeds the last few months and started to see a few instances when I would get high on the temp gauge. I moved forward with all new radiator, water pump and thermostat. But I fear it was too late and I caused a major major damage. The temp stays at a constant 87c, but does climb up when I shut off the engine (I replaced the electric temp gauge with a generic mechanical gauge). Everything seems fine, but if I start the engine without the radiator cap, coolant surges out of the radiator, and I have to constantly top off the reservoir. I also get a strange smell, possibly coolant when I let off the gas at cruising speed. The oil does not seem milky, so I don’t think it is getting into the oil. The radiator is also always under pressure, even when it is cold in the morning. I am going to go get compression test this week, but I am trying to prepare myself for the worst. Is it possible I just damaged the head gasket, or am I more likely cracked a piston, block or need to machine the block again? More importantly, are any of these symptoms safe to continue driving?

Continuing to drive could have the possibility of making things much worse. Its possibly only a head gasket so i would start with popping the head off for a look.

Climbing when the engine is shut off is normal. The water is no longer circulating through the radiator to cool it and thus it gets hotter before it begins to cool down.

Without pressure the coolant will bubble over when started, so that doesn't seem abnormal.

I don't know why or how it would still have pressure when it's cold in the morning. Is that before you start it?

I don't know why you'd smell coolant when you let off the throttle.

Do you have an overflow reservoir?

How Frequently do you have to top it off?

It is at least the head gasket. Most likely that's all it is. Use a good one when you replace it. Either OEM Toyota or one of the Stoner replacements that have copper bands around all the water ports in the gasket.

It is at least the head gasket. Most likely that's all it is. Use a good one when you replace it. Either OEM Toyota or one of the Stoner replacements that have copper bands around all the water ports in the gasket.

I have no idea how you diagnosed a blown head gasket from the OP’s description.

all things in the description point to a head gasket
Everything seems fine, but if I start the engine without the radiator cap, coolant surges out of the radiator, and I have to constantly top off the reservoir. I also get a strange smell, possibly coolant when I let off the gas at cruising speed.

I have no idea how you diagnosed a blown head gasket from the OP’s description.

Always good to hear the final results. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom