4x4 Labs bumper, Long Range Automotive auxiliary tank install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
minutemansignsinc.com
Nothing too lengthy, just thought I should contribute some notes for this since the 4x4 Labs is I'm sure the most popular(and most attractive/functional) rear bumper ;)

IMG_20181004_151144666.jpg

Mounted with an extra hour of Fab time.
IMG_20181004_111407349.jpg

Here is the easy one, above the axle
IMG_20181004_100226651.jpg

So very close...solution was easy, cut down and weld/stud the provided mount, which initially was meant to mount in the same mounting point as the labs bumper
IMG_20181004_100301493.jpg
IMG_20181004_110850675_HDR.jpg

Hang on More to come, Max uploads...

Cool, I've been wondering about this. I was afraid the tank would hang too low past the bumper. Not sure if that's a big deal or not though

Ground the bolt heads flat on one side and tacked down to creat a stud and easy future removal.
IMG_20181004_111257925.jpg

The rest of the pictures show some of the tanks features.
IMG_20181004_145516736_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181004_100409627.jpg

IMG_20181004_144847726.jpg

Its also a great time to stuff a 3" exhaust and sliders(4x4 labs.. naturally)
IMG_20181004_134242851.jpg

Some notes regarding the install,

The transfer pump, is US made, very nice quality. All the hardware and wiring included was too notch also. I tested the transfer pump/system about 30 minutes from uwharrie this past weekend. I grinned as my tank went from empty to full, though it took about 20 - 30 minutes. Also, one of the optional wires is meant to be hooked to your stock sender to turn your transfer pump off once full. If anyone has hooked that wire up, please let me know which wire and the most convenient spot to tap into. The transfer button and level light combo worked great, beeped once the tank was empty. I highly recommend this product, especially if you tow.

Cool, I've been wondering about this. I was afraid the tank would hang too low past the bumper. Not sure if that's a big deal or not though
I was worried about that too.So, the base/center of the tank was in line with the concrete below. I think it's sits about right. I drew about 23 gallons out when I transfered. Good enough for me.

Great job. I got stumped by my LRA aux tank's fitment with the 4x4 Labs and just paid to have it done - lame o_O

BTW, where's the write up on your swing out attachments? Those look awesome.

Great job. I got stumped by my LRA aux tank's fitment with the 4x4 Labs and just paid to have it done - lame o_O

BTW, where's the write up on your swing out attachments? Those look awesome.
I can't take credit for all of this install, this took place at my buddies shop, wouldn't try this without a lift(I hate underbody/chasis work). We double/triple teamed it over an afternoon. Definitely worth hiring some extra help, not to mention I really needed to address my exhaust aswell(muffler bracket had rusted off).

Thanks for the comments on the rear swings.
I built them about a year ago over many weekends in the garage. Kind of love how 4x4 labs allows for you to disconnect what you are working on via 2 bolts. I figure, old trucks always needs a tool box. I operate a sign business, and have a connection where I can design and have custom plasma cut steel plates sent back to me. Always like a little swag on the rig.
I do most my own work on my truck, though I pick and choose my battles, no shame in not groveling on the ground with 100+ lbs tank. No thanks.

Resurrecting am old thread here....

I just ordered both the 4X4Labs bumper and the same LRA tank. I’m having them installed by their respective companies so instal isn’t an issue.

Just curious how you’ve done with clearance and if you’ve banged up the tank at all? It looks like it is angled pretty well. I had seen pictures of it mounted on a regular bumper and it looked like the bumper was gonna be the first to hit anything. Looks like probably the same case with the 4X4Labs bumper but I’m not sure. Do you have any personal experience to share?

Useful thread with good info. Bumping to see if any others have dealt with the 4x4Labs + LRA 24gal aux tank combination. Seems like some minor modifications on the rear crossmember of the bumper/tank connection.

Useful thread with good info. Bumping to see if any others have dealt with the 4x4Labs + LRA 24gal aux tank combination. Seems like some minor modifications on the rear crossmember of the bumper/tank connection.
I have both. It’s an awesome combo.

You will need to cut the exhaust a bit, but I am sure you know that much. And yes, some minor modification is required to the 4x4 labs bumper (although not much I believe). I ordered both in tandem and made a trip up to norcal for each shop to install their own unit, they aren’t all that far apart relatively speaking.

I remember the LRA guys telling me to mention the tank install to 4x4labs and 4x4labs knew what to do to accommodate the LRA tank. 4x4 labs installed that piece the same as they would any other and it was all super smooth and easy. I wouldn’t be able to tell you what needs to get modified on an already existing 4x4 bumper but if you haven’t ordered both just have it coordinated properly and it’s great.

The combination is fantastic. 10/10 recommend.

I have both. It’s an awesome combo.

You will need to cut the exhaust a bit, but I am sure you know that much. And yes, some minor modification is required to the 4x4 labs bumper (although not much I believe). I ordered both in tandem and made a trip up to norcal for each shop to install their own unit, they aren’t all that far apart relatively speaking.

I remember the LRA guys telling me to mention the tank install to 4x4labs and 4x4labs knew what to do to accommodate the LRA tank. 4x4 labs installed that piece the same as they would any other and it was all super smooth and easy. I wouldn’t be able to tell you what needs to get modified on an already existing 4x4 bumper but if you haven’t ordered both just have it coordinated properly and it’s great.

The combination is fantastic. 10/10 recommend.

Thanks for the reply @Kurchak31 - seems like a winning combo. Labs is in the short-short list for rears. 👍🏻

Resurrecting am old thread here....

I just ordered both the 4X4Labs bumper and the same LRA tank. I’m having them installed by their respective companies so instal isn’t an issue.

Just curious how you’ve done with clearance and if you’ve banged up the tank at all? It looks like it is angled pretty well. I had seen pictures of it mounted on a regular bumper and it looked like the bumper was gonna be the first to hit anything. Looks like probably the same case with the 4X4Labs bumper but I’m not sure. Do you have any personal experience to share?
Chiming in here, I've managed to put a dent in mine. I believe it happened coming off a ledge on the road out to the Doll House in the Maze District in Utah. I don't have the Labs bumper, but actually, the Labs bumper does not provide any more protection than my Kaymar, for the tank. I'd highly recommend fabbing up a skid plate for anyone doing serious terrain - with any bumper and this tank. Remember, when this tank is full it is not light and will add some sag - especially when rig is loaded for camping.

Trying to make sure I understand the modifications that were done on the rear crossmember...did you just cut down/modify the LRA rear crossmember that mounts to the tank and then weld it to the Labs crossmember (since it's already bolted into the spare tire carrier captive nuts on the inside and underside of frame rails)?

Assuming you know this ahead of time, you could possibly modify the depth of the labs crossmember a bit with the plan of leveraging that crossmember as the support piece for the LRA tank....no?!?

Any pics of the rear mount would be greatly appreciated @Minuteman , @Kurchak31 , @Hyup , @80t0ylc - ready to pull the trigger on a Labs bumper (likely the DIY kit) and hoping to have them make any mods necessary to the crossmember/associated components (hitch receiver, recovery points - to make sure the depth is correct) that tie into the crossmember before shipping it out.

Good thread - thanks for all of the info guys!

Trying to make sure I understand the modifications that were done on the rear crossmember...did you just cut down/modify the LRA rear crossmember that mounts to the tank and then weld it to the Labs crossmember (since it's already bolted into the spare tire carrier captive nuts on the inside and underside of frame rails)?

Assuming you know this ahead of time, you could possibly modify the depth of the labs crossmember a bit with the plan of leveraging that crossmember as the support piece for the LRA tank....no?!?

Any pics of the rear mount would be greatly appreciated @Minuteman , @Kurchak31 , @Hyup , @80t0ylc - ready to pull the trigger on a Labs bumper (likely the DIY kit) and hoping to have them make any mods necessary to the crossmember/associated components (hitch receiver, recovery points - to make sure the depth is correct) that tie into the crossmember before shipping it out.

Good thread - thanks for all of the info guys!
Sorry, I’ve got a Kaymar rear bumper. Can’t help you with Labs info.

No worries, my mistake @80t0ylc ! Did you fab up a skid for the LRA tank? Any pics? Thanks!
No plans yet. Have been considering more lift to eliminate air bags in rear springs. The current OME 2.5” lift was working fine until I installed this tank. Trailer tongue weight + full aux tank & camping cargo causes rear to sag. Air bags level it out, but restrict flex in off camber and tough terrain. Headlight alignment as well as stance are among my concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom