LX470 4wd Hi, Lo, and CDL operation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rhodescreations.com
Used to have a locked 80 and now a new ('99) LX470. My question is this: what dash indicators should be on when in 4 lo vs. engaging the CDL? Currently the truck shows nothing when in 4 hi, then shows the CDL light when in 4 lo and doesn't seem to do anything when you press the CDL button. How are things supposed to operate? Thanks.

I believe 98-99 will automatically lock the center when you put it in 4LO. Basically rendering the button useless when the vehicle is in 4LO. 00+ have the option to leave the center open when it is in 4LO.

I’m pretty sure the cdl light only illuminates when the cdl is engaged. Same with the rdl on my ‘98.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure the cdl light only illuminates when the cdl is engaged. Same with the rdl on my ‘98.
My 98 100 has the CDL light go on when I put it in 4 Low. The CDL button seems to have no ability to turn off CDL when in 4 Low.

Correct above. CDL is engaged either by engaging into 4L or pressing button any other time in permanent 4H. Rear locker only engages when in 4L.

EBE675EE-ADC0-4259-B98B-2C01E12ACEE8.jpeg
I had to go sit in mine to be sure. Cdl does not engage with 4lo, only when switch is engaged. In Photo it is in 4lo with no light on.

67FB0ADA-B7A7-4264-B091-F36B2F7F957B.jpeg
Switch engaged and light is on. I can definitely feel the locker is engaged with the light.

Perhaps the previous owner completed the mod disconnecting the auto CDL in 4Lo. Otherwise I have never seen that before....Unless yours is a 2000 model and you just thought is was a '98.

Maybe so. It’s definitely a ‘98 though.

Maybe so. It’s definitely a ‘98 though.
Hmm interesting. But it does seem like the CDL light is burnt out on the dash. Mine is lite with VSC off + CDL

So to recap, when I engage 4 lo the CDL light will always come on unless I do a 7 pin mod? The truck is definitely a 99. I'm deleting the AHC system today so I'll play with the transfer case and center diff on the lift and see what's going on.

So to recap, when I engage 4 lo the CDL light will always come on unless I do a 7 pin mod? The truck is definitely a 99. I'm deleting the AHC system today so I'll play with the transfer case and center diff on the lift and see what's going on.

Correct. 7 pin mod is done so that you can engage 4lo without locking the CD. This is useful on trails like blackbear pass, where they are steep so you want engine breaking, but there are switchbacks where you do not want anything locked so that you avoid axle windup.

basically, 7 pin mod gives you more control over what your vehicle does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom