Check before replacing a ABS sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few months ago I got a intermittent ABS code. I did the diagnosis using a paper clip to pull out the code (code 32) left front.
Long story short I ordered a new cheap sensor from Amazon and set out to replace it.
The sensor was seized as usual so with patience and pliers I just managed to break it from the back.
Next step was to get the disc brake off and pick the front piece that was still there.
Well, it turns out that the bloody sensor was fine and it was giving me a bad reading due to mud clogging the sensor reading surface due to a faulty dust shield and gasket.
Bad part of the story is that I wrecked a perfect working sensor, wrecked a hub stud and I have a stranded truck for a few days.
What is the learning experience from this? Take everything apart even when it involves more time.

20181020_153748.jpg

20181020_153759.jpg

20181020_153720.jpg

20181020_153714.jpg

20181020_153709.jpg

That's called the exciter ring.
ABS sensors are nothing more than electro magnets. Everytime one of the exciters on the ring comes past, the magnet reads the drop in resistance and the computer turns this into wheel speed, it then compares all four wheels and if they are out of sync by "X"% the ABS/traction control kicks in.

That is to bad what happen to you trying to fix it.
Great info for the rest of us for future reference.
Thank you for posting.

I had a different abs issue. That was a cheap fix and something to check.

The abs light went on solid. Before I ordered a new sensor (which was stuckalso) I checked the wire and found it was cut. Right where it leaves the upper most support clip and heads in to the engine bay. I spliced in a new section of wire. I also tried to make more slack near the uppermost support clip. Winter is coming so abs is a good thing to have on ice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom