Oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have removed my front right tire to swap for a winter set and found an oil leak (see photo). My lc is at 99k miles, i use 0w20 every 10k miles and oil level drops half quart (halfway bw marks on a stick). Is it a cam leak?
From other issues radiator hasnt cracked yet and starter not clicking yet :) so i was hoping for another 100k until i do something big. I heard its like 3k to fix cam leak.

20181019_180309.jpg

Yep, cam tower. And yep, $3k to fix at a dealership.

I sealed mine up myself, drops cost down to about $350 with new water pump. However, while not hard, it's not a job for someone that hasn't opened up an engine before and doesn't pay very close attention to details.

From another perspective. What's a little leak? I can buy a lot of oil for $3k. Engines don't particularly care unless it's caking some auxiliary component.

It honestly doesn't look bad enough to warrant addressing at the moment. Does it leave any oil on the ground?

No pavement oil drops yet. Its 2014 (nov 2013 purchase) so definitely hoped to avoid any initial production issues but ...
Will drop bottom shield and have a closer look everywhere else.
Thx for headsup on alternator!
With 300 in the works and another 3yrs for small fixes (turbo, hydrid.. 6yrs?? :)) probably will havr to look into replacing waterpump,radiator,starter, cam seal all at once. Just ordered Haynes repair manual off amazon

Took it to a dealer, showed them photos. They looked all over couldn't find the source and ended up putting a dye into oil. So after 850miles they looked again and couldn't find anything... they said it was old...
Then i recalled that about 50k ago dealer spilled bunch of oil in a bay so it was even smoking with engine running..
I will try to reach to this area and clean it and observe

Took it to a dealer, showed them photos. They looked all over couldn't find the source and ended up putting a dye into oil. So after 850miles they looked again and couldn't find anything... they said it was old...
Then i recalled that about 50k ago dealer spilled bunch of oil in a bay so it was even smoking with engine running..

Sounds like a good honest dealership there.

It might be a small leak from the timing cover. It’s a low pressure area, so it make take time for the dye to appear.

Hey, Hope everything is well. Was wondering if you got any updates after this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom