Where to find a H55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’ve been working on my fj40 for about 2 years now, and bought a h42 off someone on Craigslist, and well... that didn’t really work so well. So now I’m back looking for a 5 speed, and a transfer case. I wasn’t sure where to really find one for a good price. I know they are pretty expensive but I’ve see a lot of people running them so it makes me think maybe I’m looking in the wrong area. Thanks anything helps

Call Georg over at Valley Hybrids. He's not far from you at all.
@orangefj45 He can fix you up with your needs. The 5 speed is
worth the extra, all day long and at the pumps as well.

By your two other posts guessing you have a 71 with a V8? 60/70 series H55 will be a better fit and available new and more common used. Unless modified your will not find a used H55/transfer case with a hand brake. You will need to figure that out. Used hand brake setups for the split transfer case are available. That is probably cheaper than the finding rear axle with hand brakes. Then dealing with a cable from the dash verses the floor.

I think at one point Georg even carried a limited run of adapters to mount the driveshaft drum brake on the back of a split case. Not sure he still has them, but if he does, that might be an option to resolve the handbrake issue.

Depending on what v8 you have and where it’s positioned- you may consider an nv4500 for gearing and durability a notch better than an h55 at half the price. It is long tho.

It’s very hard to find a low mile h55f. Most people who buy em from toyota USA don’t get rid of em.......and the imported high milers are most often on the last leg of life.

IMHO there’s 2 choices- drop the coin on a new one. Or If you want to spend half the $3000 (newh55/used split case) or less.... I’d strongly consider nv4500 or sm465 etc.

Depending on what v8 you have and where it’s positioned- you may consider an nv4500 for gearing and durability a notch better than an h55 at half the price. It is long tho.

It’s very hard to find a low mile h55f. Most people who buy em from toyota USA don’t get rid of em.......and the imported high milers are most often on the last leg of life.

IMHO there’s 2 choices- drop the coin on a new one. Or If you want to spend half the $3000 (newh55/used split case) or less.... I’d strongly consider nv4500 or sm465 etc.

Now if I went with something like the nv4500 or the sm465, what are my options for t-cases? That’s been the hardest part of this all if finding a new/working one that works with the original fj40 axels

I have a 350/sm465/plate adapter/3 speed tcase. It’s great off-road. Low first and stout tranny. On the highway it feels doable but dated. It just doesn’t shift as smooth as a newer stick. Gear spacing is not ideal for 35’s on the open road(under 60mph). I won’t pull it, unless I go with an LS, so just know what your signing up for. Their cheap and plentiful, so finding parts and adapters are plentiful as well. (I have no experience with h55, sorry)

By your two other posts guessing you have a 71 with a V8? 60/70 series H55 will be a better fit and available new and more common used. Unless modified your will not find a used H55/transfer case with a hand brake. You will need to figure that out. Used hand brake setups for the split transfer case are available. That is probably cheaper than the finding rear axle with hand brakes. Then dealing with a cable from the dash verses the floor.
x 2 with the 60/70 series H55. The shift tower is better located to work with a V8 as it pushes the engine further forward to allow for circulating air between the heads and firewall. FWIW 60 series ran the handbrake on the rear axle, so can be made to fit a 40 series rear axle if it has the four bolt pattern - though I am unsure which year range the 40 series axles were.

So now I’m back looking for a 5 speed, and a transfer case. I wasn’t sure where to really find one for a good price. I know they are pretty expensive but I’ve see a lot of people running them so it makes me think maybe I’m looking in the wrong area.
I have H55 with a transfer case for sale, but I’m in the wrong area; 5350 miles away from you. :(

I have experience with both an h55 and an nv4500 in two different 40s. I prefer the nv4500 but I didn't build that one. I built the h55 and split case, ... bought the tranny new from a Toyota dealer in San Diego area. IIRC, $1,650 ten year ago. Lower 1st & 2nd gear in the GM nv4500 is awesome, but shifts like a truck.

I'm out of pocket (death in the family, then Idaho elk hunt), until 2nd week of November. I have detailed parts records on both.

Send me an email if you are interested jfseal@palconsult.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom