Sturdy Plastic Key Fob (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a pair of key fobs and was stunned to see how sturdy that is built. Generally, the metal key is attached to the plastic fob with a screw and is very prone to break, but not this one. The metal is built into the housing and when I tried to twist, it won't budge.
Bought it on ebay from the seller : remotesupermarket

Item: 2 Replacement for 1998-2002 Toyota Land Cruiser Remote Car Key Fob Shell Case

Most importantly, I got two cases for $6 shipped!

DSCN4607.JPG

DSCN4608.JPG

"Nut case" seems like a catchy name for @suprax7nut to use rather than titanium key fob shell.

+1 on YotaMD's titanium nut case vs. plastic. I love mine. It doesn't feel like its going to break in half.

Yes, the Ti case is the best way to go but if one wants the cheaper option, this particular plastic case is still better. The plastic in the one I bought does not fee like other brittle plastics.

Plastic's still plastic, they'll crack. Get an @suprarx7nut case.

"Nut case" seems like a catchy name for @suprax7nut to use rather than titanium key fob shell.

+1 on YotaMD's titanium nut case vs. plastic. I love mine. It doesn't feel like its going to break in half.

Haha. "Nut Case". I like it.

The feel is one of the big draws for my key, I think. I cringe at the thought of using one of the plastic OEM style keys now!

Yes, the Ti case is the best way to go but if one wants the cheaper option, this particular plastic case is still better. The plastic in the one I bought does not fee like other brittle plastics.

That's the standard plastic key design. The back half screws into place, but the front half has the metal key molded into the plastic base.

Give it a couple healthy cranks holding it like a normal key (not babying the base of it) and see if you can spot the cracks beginning at the base. I bet they'll show up within a few dozen cranks. I bought a few Amazon keys when I bought my 100 a few years back. One cracked on the first crank. The very first crank. That was a sad day. I had to pay to have that damn thing cut during a work day, too, haha.

Not to say I hope it fails on you, of course. The plastic seems to vary like crazy so there's a always a chance you'll end up with a harder plastic than average. Even then, it's a matter of time. It will crack. When it does, you know where to find me. :)

To Orig Poster - I would buy whatever goes for you as $6 is hell of a bargain. I would get the $6 one and then place a rubber boot around it so when your keys fall it will be protected and hence not crack. The way I look at it. if it will last 4+ years thats should more than justify the $6 cost for 2 keys. here's the link to the key case

I found a Stauber Rounded Lexus Key Shell Replacement on the auction site for $12. 4 screws, very sturdy

I would get the $6 one and then place a rubber boot around it so when your keys fall it will be protected and hence not crack.

The keys break from turning in the ignition—the mere twist of the key to start the car cracks the weak point where the metal key meets the plastic key case. Even my brand spanking new Lexus key feels like it’s ready to snap at any moment. I can’t wait til the day I can afford a titanium key....

Yotamd. It’s the way to go - you just have willing to break your plastic one and rip the key portion (hint: the plastic one will break eventually anyway). All new ones seem sturdy to begin with (heck mine took 15 years to break, no impact just general use) but if you truly don’t want it to break and want the piece of mind, break it yourself and put it in a yotamd.

I recently bought a pair of key fobs and was stunned to see how sturdy that is built. Generally, the metal key is attached to the plastic fob with a screw and is very prone to break, but not this one. The metal is built into the housing and when I tried to twist, it won't budge.
Bought it on ebay from the seller : remotesupermarket

Item: 2 Replacement for 1998-2002 Toyota Land Cruiser Remote Car Key Fob Shell Case

Most importantly, I got two cases for $6 shipped!

This is probably the "Eternity Key" that Lexus dealers sell now (for a lot more $$$), its the exact same mold but totally different plastic composition that will not break like the OEM keys. Of course its not as cool as the YOTA MD or AJT Design (I think I got that right) but if somebody wants to keep OEM style for whatever reason or just save a few bucks its a viable alternative.

Your key still needs to be cut right? What is the cost for that? I know the LX uses a different laser cut key type that would be more expensive than the LC version.

Has anyone here tried the flip-blade conversions that are on auction sites? They are under $20 and you can get them precut so you only drop the transponder in. I've been curious but assume they are bulkier in the pocket.

I'm wondering if the OEM keys were made fragile on purpose, so that you don't break the ignition...

I'm wondering if the OEM keys were made fragile on purpose, so that you don't break the ignition...

If this was the case I would expect the non-remote transponder keys to be equally as weak. However, the transponder keys are actually quite stout.

I was joking .:rofl:

YotaMD is amazing! Love mine!

I hear guys here but just have a normal key works great as well. I had mine go bad and I got one from aliexpress and it worked perfectly. it does not twist or anything. So no need to pay an arm or leg for a Titanium metal key imho.

btw I bet the one i got is the same as the OP posted from ebay. Also I got these cut form Home Depot/Lowes for free from the original. Just swapped over the RF and we are good to go.

Car Styling 3 Button Remote Car Key Shell Replacement Key Cover Case Blade For Toyota Land Cruiser New-in Key Shell from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom