Deep inside the bellhousing of an A440... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys, I’m about to pull the 3F out to replace a leaking rear freeze plug in the back of the block. Couldn’t be a worse spot to get to. Going to do the whole lot hence pulling the engine.
Question: as you can’t get to the torque converter to move it, how do you align the flexplate holes with the converter when you can’t even see in a straight line through the access hole when re-installing. Is there an easy way ?
Photos are looking down the exhaust side of the block towards the bellhousing showing the removed bolt hole from the flexplate. Lining these back up doesn’t look like fun....
Not keen on sticking a headless bolt in there and sliding the motor/flexplate up it it would be too easy to bend the bracket on the torque converter for sure.

7335FC7C-0D2E-4A95-B3EB-642D519842D2.jpeg

83263E5E-95FC-4790-9D8F-11023764A4C7.png

if the torque converter isn't moving than it isn't fully seated in the trans, the converter should spin freely. if the converter dosnt move you should pull the trans back out and seat the converter. if you can get your fingertips between the converter and the trans its not fully seated.

or I may not be reading it correctly and you would just turn the engine over by hand with the crank pully to line up the bolt holes.

and when you reinstall the bolts for the converter there will be one that is a different color, usually black. start that bolt first as it is slightly tapered and will align all the holes on the flexplate and converter

I havent pulled the motor yet but once I do (as I'm replacing front and rear main seals as well) those holes wont line up again.
My question is how do you line them up exactly for re-install when you physically cant get to the torque converter to rotate it all you can rotate is the engine/flexplate. And you cant see in there to line it up vusiually. Must have been doen 1000 times anyone in the know ?

You should pull the trans with the engine. During its first assembly in the plant, the engine would be mated to the transmission and transfer case in a separate area before being installed into the vehicle. Yes, it is a LOT of metal to move with a LOT of gravity present, but it will be a lot easier to play with to get the alignment this way. Maybe others would know better. I assume there are a few who have done this before with their builds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom