How did you clean/clear your sunroof drain? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried to clean/clear sunroof drains of a friends 05LC today but was not able to find anything that go down in drain holes. Tried with cloth hanger wire, fuel line, some wires but couldn't get any of these down there because either not rigid enough or too rigid to go in. Those who successfully cleaned it, what did you use to clean or how did you clean it?

20181021_093436.jpg

This tube seems to work but not long enough, not sure what it is and where to buy it.

IMG_20181021_201445_01.jpg

It does not look like blocked or clogged there because I didn't find much stuff around the drain holes. But want to rule that out from the list of things to check on passenger side wet carpet issue.

Thanks in advance.

I used a mini auger when I was at Lexus but for the regular joe, I would try some weed eater trimmer line.

I used weed eater on the front two drains, never really figured out clearing the rear two.

I thought compressed air was a big no no? Can blow connections you won't see till water intrusion?

Compressed air is how the shops do it. Just use a air gun nozzle to get past the connection on the sunroof tub.

Quick bursts.

Then rinse with clean water.

Week whacker line is not strong enough. It won't even go down the drain tube in my experience. It's like trying to push a wet noodle uphill.

Thanks so much for redrespond, I'll try weed eater and other suggestions

Where are the outlets of these sunroof drains?

Trimmer line works great. Just did it!

On my old 4Runner I found a line that was more like a steel cable and attached it to a drill on very slow speed.... basically and augur and it cut right through a blockage that no one had been able to clear.

Be careful when using any type of stiff wire or cable. You could possibly puncture the tubing without even knowing it, leading you on a wild goose chase trying to find it once it starts causing electrical issues due to water ingress.

The last time I used my sunroof it sounded absolutely terrible while opening; so bad that I decided not to let it fully open and tried closing it. First time was unsuccessful so I tried again and finally got it to seal completely shut. Now I don't want to try opening it again in fear of it not closing properly, and honestly I don't care enough about it to go to the hassle of replacing components to make it functional again.

Has anyone considered fully replacing both drain hoses instead of going to the hassle of cleaning them? At first glance it doesn't seem too difficult to do. They're easily accessible if you've already pulled the headliner and A-pillar trim, just held in by a few clips and clamps. I haven't traced them all the way through the dash though so I'm not sure if that would be more difficult or not. I figured if you disconnect the hoses you could attach a new hose to the end of the old one, so when you pulled the old hose out from the top or bottom it would fish the new one into place. Just a thought I've been pondering. I have the part numbers for all the drain hoses but I'm sure some standard clear tubing of the correct OD & ID would suffice.

(Pic I pulled from Google; not a 100 series but from what I remember the front A-pillar drain hoses are almost identical)
1_zps5c7f5054.jpg

Be careful when using any type of stiff wire or cable. You could possibly puncture the tubing without even knowing it, leading you on a wild goose chase trying to find it once it starts causing electrical issues due to water ingress.

The last time I used my sunroof it sounded absolutely terrible while opening; so bad that I decided not to let it fully open and tried closing it. First time was unsuccessful so I tried again and finally got it to seal completely shut. Now I don't want to try opening it again in fear of it not closing properly, and honestly I don't care enough about it to go to the hassle of replacing components to make it functional again.

Has anyone considered fully replacing both drain hoses instead of going to the hassle of cleaning them? At first glance it doesn't seem too difficult to do. They're easily accessible if you've already pulled the headliner and A-pillar trim, just held in by a few clips and clamps. I haven't traced them all the way through the dash though so I'm not sure if that would be more difficult or not. I figured if you disconnect the hoses you could attach a new hose to the end of the old one, so when you pulled the old hose out from the top or bottom it would fish the new one into place. Just a thought I've been pondering. I have the part numbers for all the drain hoses but I'm sure some standard clear tubing of the correct OD & ID would suffice.

(Pic I pulled from Google; not a 100 series but from what I remember the front A-pillar drain hoses are almost identical)
1_zps5c7f5054.jpg

You cannot pull the new drain tube up from the bottom, the front sunroof drains drain into the rocker panel and there are slits along the bottom of the rocker panel to let the water drain.
Now, add to the sunroof drain problems the problem of these slits become clogged and not letting water out and then your rocker panels rust.
The most common spot for this rust is just infront of the rear wheel bottom corner.

The rear drains drain behind the rear wheels if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom