Front bumper options that aren't too big (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trail tailor all the way
50476.jpeg

CBI made some awesome 570 armor for @the.mawlr but it seems they can’t be reached for comment on availability. I actually emailed them about s prinsu...no answer so I just went with front runner

That looks great. I like the ones that replace the entire plastic piece.

Mike at BIOR had his armored 200 at HiH this year. I didn't get an extended look at it, but I would definitely consider his products if you want a tough bumper and great service.

Having this thread bump back up is timely for me. After a summer of driving in national forest areas in the PNW and seeing deer everywhere I am reconsidering adding a front bumper to my white 2016 LC. Initial purpose would be modest protection from animal and other frontal impacts.

I would also seriously consider adding lighting (width and distance) what I already have in the 2016 headlights for use on remote forest roads, rough roads and to hopefully help spot deer and others animals on the side of the road.

I'm not considering a winch at this point although a modest, yet adequate winch might be a considering in the future.

My preferences are 80% function and 20% looks. My wife is short so anything that would impact visibility over the hood of the LC would be a significant negative. Nnot looking to drive a tank but I also don't want something that is merely decorative as I would most definitely not be doing this for looks. I have zero interest in something that intentionally attracts attention or is sort of an "in your face" look. Stealth is great IF it is effective. Although @Markuson's Bubba looks great for him and meets his more demanding functional needs, its not for me. )

I have questions:
  • How does this effect my extended warranty?
  • Are there any downsides or possible negative considerations to a hefty front bumper such as handling, visibility, use of sensors, front camera, etc? What do I lose?
  • Are there any things I should consider that would add to the value/benefit of having a bumper aside from modest protection and lighting?
  • Do any of the options noticeably improve approach angles?
  • Weight is also a question as I am already at 6800lbs when loaded and need to be able to add about 800# when I tow our trailer.
  • As for lighting, is it reasonable to expect that I can add lighting that will significantly improve on what my 2016 already had? My headlights are fairly bright but the are limited in distance and width in order to avoid blinding other drivers. I would like a setup that is easy to turn on/off from the driver's seat. I have heard that it is better to mount additional lighting on the bumper than up high on the roof rack. Bumper mounts eliminate the need to run wiring through the "body" and also avoid roof rack lighting glare on the white hood.
For context, I have a ~2" ARB lift with 2700s on the front and 2721s on the rear. Nitrocharger Sport, upgraded UCA. I expect I will need to go with stronger springs up front with the weight of a bumper. I run 285/65R18s. I have no interest in taller tires. In fact, I run 285/60s (Nokians) in the winter.

As for offroad use, it is minimal. I avoid rock crawling if possible. Mostly FS and BLM tracks in the "Easy" category with the occasional "Moderate" section if necessary.

So, does ARB remain my best option? I saw 2 posts of deer impacts on this forum a couple of weeks ago which is what got me thinking again given how many deer I see while driving where I drive. But most of the damage in those pics was the bumper. Not the hood or the windshield.

I prefer the look of the TJM bumper over the ARB -- it seems better integrated. Look at Markuson's truck.

Having this thread bump back up is timely for me. After a summer of driving in national forest areas in the PNW and seeing deer everywhere I am reconsidering adding a front bumper to my white 2016 LC. Initial purpose would be modest protection from animal and other frontal impacts.

I would also seriously consider adding lighting (width and distance) what I already have in the 2016 headlights for use on remote forest roads, rough roads and to hopefully help spot deer and others animals on the side of the road.

I'm not considering a winch at this point although a modest, yet adequate winch might be a considering in the future.

My preferences are 80% function and 20% looks. My wife is short so anything that would impact visibility over the hood of the LC would be a significant negative. Nnot looking to drive a tank but I also don't want something that is merely decorative as I would most definitely not be doing this for looks. I have zero interest in something that intentionally attracts attention or is sort of an "in your face" look. Stealth is great IF it is effective. Although @Markuson's Bubba looks great for him and meets his more demanding functional needs, its not for me. )

I have questions:
  • Are there any downsides or possible negative considerations to a hefty front bumper such as handling, visibility, use of sensors, front camera, etc? What do I lose?
  • Are there any things I should consider that would add to the value/benefit of having a bumper aside from modest protection and lighting?
  • Weight is also a question as I am already at 6800lbs when loaded and need to be able to add about 800# when I tow our trailer.
  • As for lighting, is it reasonable to expect that I can add lighting that will significantly improve on what my 2016 already had? My headlights are fairly bright but the are limited in distance and width in order to avoid blinding other drivers. I would like a setup that is easy to turn on/off from the driver's seat. I have heard that it is better to mount additional lighting on the bumper than up high on the roof rack. Bumper mounts eliminate the need to run wiring through the "body" and also avoid roof rack lighting glare on the white hood.
For context, I have a ~2" ARB lift with 2700s on the front and 2721s on the rear. Nitrocharger Sport, upgraded UCA. I expect I will need to go with stronger springs up front with the weight of a bumper. I run 285/65R18s. I have no interest in taller tires. In fact, I run 285/60s (Nokians) in the winter.

As for offroad use, it is minimal. I avoid rock crawling if possible. Mostly FS and BLM tracks in the "Easy" category with the occasional "Moderate" section if necessary.

So, does ARB remain my best option? I saw 2 posts of deer impacts on this forum a couple of weeks ago which is what got me thinking again given how many deer I see while driving where I drive. But most of the damage in those pics was the bumper. Not the hood or the windshield.

I can't see the bull bar on my Trail Tailor bumper from the driver's seat, so no impact to visibility. It adds a couple inches to the front so I do need to be cautious if pulling close to someone since it is sticking out slightly (though not as much as an ARB)

It doesn't affect your warranty, except for things you modify. See Magnuson-Moss. So if you have an issue with your fog lights tripping a fuse after replacing them with the aftermarket ones, you're SOL.

It will have a small impact on handling as you're having 100-200# off the front. My front suspension sagged about 1/4" from the weight of the bumper and winch. I actually find the front suspension is more comfortable over bumps now, FWIW.

I've had no impact to sensors, and I have two driving lights. My winch controller is mounted behind the grill though, not on the middle of the bumper. Parking sensors did swap over with some effort. I bought some headlight washers as well so I didn't even lose that functionality (though admittedly I never use them).

The Trail Tailor bumper has a major improvement to approach angles. ARB, TJM, etc do improve the angle but less so.

My TT bumper, sliders, rack, cooler, recovery gear, 5 people, and 800# trailer TW put me at about 8200# on the scales (plus 5200# behind me when carrying water). Like you I have aftermarket springs.

Nothing really improves (or hurts) your normal headlights. I have Rigid SAE fog lights (swapped the bezels with flush mount ones) which are much better than the Toyota fogs. I have PIAA SAE driving lights which are linked to my high beams (though I can disable them via a switch so I don't have to use them) and do help the high beam visibility though the ARB Intensity, @Markuson's Stedi lights, or one of the other non-SAE driving light options might be better if you don't care about them being street legal.

The TT bumper is not crash tested. Also while the bumper itself bolts right on, you should have the frame welds reinforced because it's much heavier than the stock bumper.

I can't see the bull bar on my Trail Tailor bumper from the driver's seat, so no impact to visibility. It adds a couple inches to the front so I do need to be cautious if pulling close to someone since it is sticking out slightly (though not as much as an ARB)

It doesn't affect your warranty, except for things you modify. See Magnuson-Moss. So if you have an issue with your fog lights tripping a fuse after replacing them with the aftermarket ones, you're SOL.

It will have a small impact on handling as you're having 100-200# off the front. My front suspension sagged about 1/4" from the weight of the bumper and winch. I actually find the front suspension is more comfortable over bumps now, FWIW.

I've had no impact to sensors, and I have two driving lights. My winch controller is mounted behind the grill though, not on the middle of the bumper. Parking sensors did swap over with some effort. I bought some headlight washers as well so I didn't even lose that functionality (though admittedly I never use them).

The Trail Tailor bumper has a major improvement to approach angles. ARB, TJM, etc do improve the angle but less so.

My TT bumper, sliders, rack, cooler, recovery gear, 5 people, and 800# trailer TW put me at about 8200# on the scales (plus 5200# behind me when carrying water). Like you I have aftermarket springs.

Nothing really improves (or hurts) your normal headlights. I have Rigid SAE fog lights (swapped the bezels with flush mount ones) which are much better than the Toyota fogs. I have PIAA SAE driving lights which are linked to my high beams (though I can disable them via a switch so I don't have to use them) and do help the high beam visibility though the ARB Intensity, @Markuson's Stedi lights, or one of the other non-SAE driving light options might be better if you don't care about them being street legal.

The TT bumper is not crash tested. Also while the bumper itself bolts right on, you should have the frame welds reinforced because it's much heavier than the stock bumper.

Thanks, Jeff. Lots of good info. I'll look at the TJM. I do seem to remember Slee telling me something about linking the driving lights with the fog lights. That it may not work with the 2016. IIRC, the fogs don't work with the high beams on the 2016 but I may have this wrong. The only issues I have with the stock headlights is that they cut off very sharply and don't flood to the side as much as I would like. I may be OK with something that is not "street legal" as nearly all of my driving with these lights on will be off pavement or on backroads where I can easily see someone coming from a mile away.

If I do a winch someday I would like to have the controller hidden. And as far as approach angle, I don't need something extreme. Just something no worse than stock. A bit better is OK but not required. After all, the issue is likely to be the departure angle and I definitely don't want to do a rear bumper at this point.

Thanks, Jeff. Lots of good info. I'll look at the TJM. I do seem to remember Slee telling me something about linking the driving lights with the fog lights. That it may not work with the 2016. IIRC, the fogs don't work with the high beams on the 2016 but I may have this wrong. The only issues I have with the stock headlights is that they cut off very sharply and don't flood to the side as much as I would like. I may be OK with something that is not "street legal" as nearly all of my driving with these lights on will be off pavement or on backroads where I can easily see someone coming from a mile away.

If I do a winch someday I would like to have the controller hidden. And as far as approach angle, I don't need something extreme. Just something no worse than stock. A bit better is OK but not required. After all, the issue is likely to be the departure angle and I definitely don't want to do a rear bumper at this point.

TJM fogs replace stock fogs.
Stedi driving lights come with the wiring to link them to your brights when/if you want...including a toggle switch to activate that mode with brights...or your brights alone...for street use.

Highly recommend both the TJM T13 and Stedi, 8.5” driving lights.

Here are some shots of both on my rig:
11A1731A-730B-49CF-A059-38D82A52D47D.jpeg
4C1D6143-61AC-4244-BBF2-457411B45CB9.jpeg
02CD694E-29D2-4C8F-A4FE-67C31A19463E.jpeg
03825419-97F2-4339-AB5F-FC16805E505A.jpeg

680085AD-DEE8-4A0F-A633-8CE86E84A426.jpeg

@Markuson, those lights look like a good option. I wonder if there are any issues with the auto high beams (which I use all the time). Hopefully not. With the override switch I could disable the additional lighting and yet when I have it on then they will automatically go off when my high beams detect another vehicle. Also, since you don't have a 16+ I don't believe you have a front camera, right? If not, do you know how they handle that. I make a lot of use of the front camera. I'm wondering if any bumper will work. (On Slee's web page they say that a camera bracket is required with the ARB bumper.)

@Markuson, those lights look like a good option. I wonder if there are any issues with the auto high beams (which I use all the time). Hopefully not. With the override switch I could disable the additional lighting and yet when I have it on then they will automatically go off when my high beams detect another vehicle. Also, since you don't have a 16+ I don't believe you have a front camera, right? If not, do you know how they handle that. I make a lot of use of the front camera. I'm wondering if any bumper will work. (On Slee's web page they say that a camera bracket is required with the ARB bumper.)

No idea, but with these massively bright drivers, you will want to control your own brights when these drivers are activated. On the street I use just my normal brights unless I’m in the boonies.

@Markuson, I believe Slee installed that bumper for you, right? Did you order it through them? Also, in the discussions of ARB vs TJM there is much about airbag compatibility with the concern being that the TJM might be too stiff and cause the airbag to deploy in a rather minor accident. But, IIRC, you hit a deer with yours and didn’t have any airbag action, right?

@Markuson, I believe Slee installed that bumper for you, right? Did you order it through them? Also, in the discussions of ARB vs TJM there is much about airbag compatibility with the concern being that the TJM might be too stiff and cause the airbag to deploy in a rather minor accident. But, IIRC, you hit a deer with yours and didn’t have any airbag action, right?

No airbag issue with the deer.

I have questions:

Dan,

I researched quite a bit for a bumper on my 2016. I have the same feelings in regards to 80/20 function/looks. I can't speak in detail for all the other bumpers, just my TJM.

- I confirmed prior to purchase with my local Toyota dealer that services my vehicle and they said it would not affect warranty.

- Of course, handling will be a little bit different when you have that much weight on the front end. I believe the TJM is about 200 lbs, but I'll have to double check. Mine handles well with the BP-51 setup as I'm sure it would also with your OME. The bumper doesn't affect visibility driving. Front camera stays put (I know ARB has an optional relocation kit as bumper sticks our further). The sensors were moved to TJM bumper and work as normal. I attached a photo of the cabin view from the front camera screen so you can see what is looks like. TJM does also offer a bumper cut version like the ARB, but I liked the looks of the TJM full replacement better. Plus, easier to go back to old bumper if I ever wanted to. Obviously can't go back to original with the bumper cut versions. You don't lose any original functions other than the original fog lights. As @Markuson mentioned, the TJM have integrated LED fog lights that replace the original and work with the same wiring/switch.

- As far as value/benefit besides protection and lighting, if you ever think about adding a winch in the future, you'll have a place ready. The winch frame is built into the bumper. Also, the bumper has integrated 8000kg recovery points, reinforced jack points, two aerial tabs for accessories, and mounting holes for lights. Since TJM is a large manufacturer, bumpers are tested and airbag compatible.

- This bumper definitely improves approach angle, but I would think all the others do too. One of the things I like about the TJM over the ARB is that it is lower profile. It only sticks out 4.5" from the grill. I believe the ARB is more that double that at around 10", but others here with that bumper could verify the actual measurements. Also, adding a winch will not affect the TJM profile as it's recessed in a bit under the license plate.

- As mentioned above, I believe it's about 200 lbs, but I'll double check.

- For lighting, the added LED combination lights are a nice improvement. I didn't do any tests on the replacement LED fog lights, so can't say if they are any better or worse than the OEM. There are places to mount additional lights and it could be easily be wired to an OEM-like switch on dash.

Let me know if you ever want to see it in person and I'd be glad to meet up sometime.

Last edited:
I saw a dead deer on the highway last night + a head on collision last night at 2 am. I am bugging again.

What's the difference in strength between TJM T3 vs T13? I am finding the T3 alot cheaper. Will I need to upgrade front spring? With TJM if I don't like it can I take it off and put stock bumper back on?

Dan,

I researched quite a bit for a bumper on my 2016. I have the same feelings in regards to 80/20 function/looks. I can't speak in detail for all the other bumpers, just my TJM.

- I confirmed prior to purchase with my local Toyota dealer that services my vehicle and they said it would not affect warranty.

- Of course, handling will be a little bit different when you have that much weight on the front end. I believe the TJM is about 200 lbs, but I'll have to double check. Mine handles well with the BP-51 setup as I'm sure it would also with your OME. The bumper doesn't affect visibility driving. Front camera stays put (I know ARB has an optional relocation kit as bumper sticks our further). The sensors were moved to TJM bumper and work as normal. I attached a photo of the cabin view from the front camera screen so you can see what is looks like. TJM does also offer a bumper cut version like the ARB, but I liked the looks of the TJM full replacement better. Plus, easier to go back to old bumper if I ever wanted to. Obviously can't go back to original with the bumper cut versions. You don't lose any original functions other than the original fog lights. As @Markuson mentioned, the TJM have integrated LED fog lights that replace the original and work with the same wiring/switch.

- As far as value/benefit besides protection and lighting, if you ever think about adding a winch in the future, you'll have a place ready. The winch frame is built into the bumper. Also, the bumper has integrated 8000kg recovery points, reinforced jack points, two aerial tabs for accessories, and mounting holes for lights. Since TJM is a large manufacturer, bumpers are tested and airbag compatible.

- This bumper definitely improves approach angle, but I would think all the others do too. One of the things I like about the TJM over the ARB is that it is lower profile. It only sticks out 4.5" from the grill. I believe the ARB is more that double that at around 10", but others here with that bumper could verify the actual measurements. Also, adding a winch will not affect the TJM profile as it's recessed in a bit under the license plate.

- As mentioned above, I believe it's about 200 lbs, but I'll double check.

- For lighting, the added LED combination lights are a nice improvement. I didn't do any tests on the replacement LED fog lights, so can't say if they are any better or worse than the OEM. There are places to mount additional lights and it could be easily be wired to an OEM-like switch on dash.

Let me know if you ever want to see it in person and I'd be glad to meet up sometime.

I3GgBSo.jpg

hJXXGfN.jpg

XqAvYpU.jpg

sek52ma.jpg

3LjiXIO.jpg

pcGsQQ9.jpg

WF7A3eK.jpg

ubTpItH.jpg

Thanks, @brasskey! The pics and the 2016 experience are very helpful. And since you are in the Denver area I think I'll take you up on a meetup. I'll PM you about that. Though not in a rush as this is likely an early 2019 purchase. One more thing that others may be interested in. Did you do the install or did you have someone do it for you? And how did you order/purchase the bumper? Was it through the installer? Any issues with availability? How long did it take to receive it?

Dan

One more question on the TJM. In the pictures it looks like there is both a rectangular LED light and some type of circular light on each side of the bumper. Am I seeing that correctly? If so, which is the "fog light"? Is it possible that the rectangular lights (if that is what they are) could be used to have sideways-directed "flood" lights to augment the standard stock light setup? (I am thinking that if I put lights on the top of the bumper inside the "hoop" that I will impact the view of the forward looking camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom