ARB fridge problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I seem to be having a sudden issue with my ARB 47l fridge. It's worked flawlessly for the ~8 years I've had it. It has been unplugged in the truck for a couple weeks since it's last use and then this weekend I plugged in it overnight on AC power and set it to 6 deg C. I start packing it up the next morning for our day trip and the display was reading 23 degrees.
I thought perhaps the 12v cig plug had loosened or perhaps the battery had drained down (while totally forgetting it was still plugged into shore power), as the fridge seemed quite cold, and left it at that.
We go on our trip, break for lunch and everything is frozen. Temp is still set at the 6 degrees, display reading 20something still though.
I took it out of the truck today and set it up in the garage with a thermometer inside it. Still set at 6, display now reading 12 degrees, and the thermometer inside reading MINUS 12.
It appears to be running continuously.
I'm guessing the internal thermostat is shot, which looks like bad news for me as my serial number is well bellow the cut off of xxxxxx450 for the replaceable ones apparently.
Can an older model be serviced?
Sent an email off to ARB, hopefully they have some sort of good news.

It may be quickest to give ARB a call, (425) 264-1391.

In my experience they have always responsive, even if they didn't have an immediate answer.

SEMA is getting ready to kick off so it is quite possible they may be running a skeleton crew.

RV shops usually won't be able to help as their repair tech or shops are based on evaporative fridges not compressor fridges like ARB etc. I had a friend who knew a refrigeration tech who was able to look into it on my old Engel, however after determining that it needed a new board for $425 without install and recharge...I walked away.

There's a few tips and conversation pieces here:
ARB Fridge not working
or here:
Edgestar FP 630 repairs.

I don't know much about ARB fridges specifically, however I will say that in my experience, HVAC and fridge devices often use generic parts that are readily available and interchangeable; and also that repairs can often be improvised. Now, a circuit board may be a different story. But I would not throw the towel too readily. Not that long ago I fixed a fancy medical-grade freezer that was being thrown away with a $5 part.

Just talked to ARB tech, It's the thermistor and while not considered "replaceable" it is repairable...whew. ARB is sending me the required parts and some detailed instructions.

Involves coring a hole into my fridge though...

This appears to be the exact same issue and process:

ARB Fridge Tech - Rising Sun Member Forums

Parts arrived yesterday (free of charge!) thanks ARB for the awesome customer service.
Parts include the replacement thermocouple/thermistor (whatever you like to call it), 4 "telephone" connectors ( I had to Google them, had no idea what they were) a plate to cover up the new 2 1/2" hole in the bottom of the fridge, instructions, and a template.
I've done the hole, cleaned out all the foam and exposed the old thermocouple. The only thing the instructions don't explain is if you need to match the 2 wires, which would be hard as they appear to be the same.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d7Xgwx8cfRPRtStm9

And in case anyone was wondering, it's just the older 47 liter fridges that have this issue. ARB fixed this issue in the new models.

Thermistor - Replace - Arb 47L Service Manual [Page 69]

9.22 Thermistor – Replace
Fridge with non-serviceable thermistors
The thermistor is non-servicable on 47L fridges with serial numbers up to and including those listed in
the table below. Please contact ARB for service advice for these fridges.
For fridges with serviceable thermistors
All 35L, 60L and 78L fridges have serviceable thermistors. All 47L fridges with serial numbers higher
than those listed in the table above also have serviceable thermistors.

UNITED STATES

serial number 07000450

And in case anyone was wondering, it's just the older 47 liter fridges that have this issue. ARB fixed this issue in the new models.

The thermistor is non-servicable on 47L fridges with serial numbers up to and including those listed in
All 35L, 60L and 78L fridges have serviceable thermistors. All 47L fridges with serial numbers higher

UNITED STATES

serial number 07000450

Thermistors and thermocopules have no polarity.

Thermistors and thermocopules have no polarity.

don't know what that means, but thermocouples must be connected the correct way or you'll get funky numbers. In fact, the connectors are usually asymmetric to ensure correct hookup and avoid that problem.

A thermocouple is a completely different beast than a thermistor which is just a resistor with exaggerated temperature dependence.

UNITED STATES

serial number 07000450

Thanks for posting that up Jeff. I've seen those threads where thermistors have gone out on the early "new" style fridges and wondered if mine was one of them... I bought mine in 2011 and it falls quite a bit outside the affected serial numbers (whew!)

ARB customer service continues to impress though, very cool that they step up and send parts (for free no less) for a 10+ year old fridge.

Success! Seems to be working good as new. Holding and displaying at 6 degrees (cheapo thermostat inside says 10).

ANd for what it's worth it is a thermistor even though the ARB part calls it up as a Thermocouple. There is no polarity as it just measures resistance.

Good to hear this. I am currently waiting for my replacement parts as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom