Wool blankets: ideal specs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been looking at options for a wool blanket and I’m ready to pull the trigger on something but I’m somewhat unclear unconfident regarding any criteria for performant blankets.

Pendleton blankets are probably my favorite design wise and least favorite price wise.

I know woolrich has options but I’m least inspired by them.

There are also no name branded blankets on amazon for a decent price.

I see a lot 80/20, 90/10, wool/wool blend blankets at different weights.

Is there an ideal set of specs?

I would suggest that the ideal wool blanket isn’t. It’s the Costco down throws available for $34 for two. I use them for ultralight camping down into the low 50s. They’re $49 just now but pretty sure they will come down again. Even at $49 they’re a great deal.

Costco Wholesale

While i love my down throws, wool works wet and is a better choice around the camp fire. Down is pretty worthless if you get it wet.

I’m very happy with THIS wool blanket.

I’ve tent and car camped, down to 25*, using my Exped Megamat, my 20* sleeping bag and this wool blanket.

It doesn’t stink new like some do... doesn’t make me itch and it makes a great, nice and warm sleeping bag sandwich at 25*.

I have a Pendleton blanket I purchased from one of their outlet store, so the price didn't hurt as bad, it's is a really nice blanket, it really softened up after a couple dry cleanings. When I lived in Kalifornia, I purchased a couple orange Euro military blankets (wool) from Major Surplus ($30+/-). I really like them and I don't have to be so cautious with them do to price. I have washed them and hung them up to dry with no shrinkage.

I picked up an Army surplus blanket years ago! It's awesome!

Last edited:
I bought the 80/20. It was the same as the surplus store had. I bought the one on Amazon for $24 delivered. It has worked well in cold weather and it is machine washable. I felt it was the best balance of price/feel

I love Pendleton and the Filson blankets I've acquired over the years.

I also have a couple of the army surplus blankets. The ones I have are too thin to provide any real protection from cold. They make a nice ground cover, and would be ok if you were sitting in front of a campfire. But for sleeping at night, they just aren't enough.

Definitely go to your local army surplus store or flea market to dig around for one that works. I have a swiss army, US navy and US army one that are awesome. The US green is thinnest and about the same for the Swiss and Navy versions.

I second (or third) patience and bargain hunting. Years ago I found a massive thick Woorich blanket at their outlet store for $75 I think because it has a seam right down the middle where the two bolts were sewn together at the mill. And a couple years ago I found a 4 point (I think) Hudson Bay blanket at the flea market for the same price virtually unused.

Love my heavy wool blankets. Much thinner ones that I can be much more careless with I buy in bulk from Sportsmans Guide or similar. These might not be 100% wool but they work.

RockyMountain-24.jpg
I’ve been looking at options for a wool blanket and I’m ready to pull the trigger on something but I’m somewhat unclear unconfident regarding any criteria for performant blankets.

Pendleton blankets are probably my favorite design wise and least favorite price wise.

I know woolrich has options but I’m least inspired by them.

There are also no name branded blankets on amazon for a decent price.

I see a lot 80/20, 90/10, wool/wool blend blankets at different weights.

Is there an ideal set of specs?

One of the first things you may want to check is where the blanket is manufactured. A lot of the wool and wool blend blankets come out of India. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, they do tend have issues with odor, chemical preservatives and the synthetic material in the blends. You also want a woven blanket versus the cheap compressed fill blanket. A compressed fill will fall apart over time or if washed. Make sure the edges are sewn so the blanket won't fray.

Generally speaking, a 100% wool blanket is what most people think of when they are wanting a wool blanket. 100% wool are tough, warm, heavy and warm when wet, yet they can be uncomfortably scratchy and must be dry cleaned.
80/20 blankets are a more modern take on the original army wool blanket and are typically 80 % wool and 20 % synthetic. They are still tough, warm, heavy, warm when wet yet are much less scratchy and are washing machine safe. Oh, one last wool blanket tip: whether the blanket is 100% or blend try to shake it out or tumble in a cool dryer to remove any loose residual wool fibers, otherwise these fibers will shake loose into your bedding and be itchy or you'll breath in the fibers and they kinda make your nose itch. Not a big deal, just a users hack!

There is only a handful of woolen mills in the US. All US Military and government contracts are fulfilled by these mills. All our camp blankets are US made, woven, 80/20 wool blankets. Wool Camp Blanket - Adventure Tool Company

Whether you using it as a camping blanket, ground insulator, RRT mattress insulator or snuggling with you significant other I'd recommend the 80/20. They're tough, warm and easily cleaned. Good luck!

Last edited:
These are a good example of a disposable disaster or EMS blanket. As you can see they're 70/30 blend (remnant blend) and non-woven (compressed fill) so while there'll be good for one or two uses they were designed to be dropped, left and thrown away after a disaster or scene. They're not really comparable to an original wool Army/Navy blanket for extended use.
  • U.S. military issue
  • Made in USA
  • Made of 70/30 man-made fiber/recycled
  • Naturally flame retardant
  • Needle-punch, non-woven construction
  • Finished edges
  • Each approx. 62" x 80". Size may vary
  • New condition

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom