Is it worth it...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.aceoverland.com
I found a 1988 fj62 for a fair price. It is a beater for sure. I have been inspecting it, trying to decide if it is worth the time and effort to get it on the road. I found some questionable frame areas, and wanted to get an opinion. Should I just sell for parts? How bad is this, really?

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

IMG_2850.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg

Last edited:
Offer less than a grand and see if they'll bite. Parts rig IMO

Pics of exterior and interior? Frame swap if the body is decent shape?

I would say the body is not in such great a shape to warrant a frame swap. But, to be fair, I don't know what all is involved in swapping a frame, or how easy it is to source one.

The idea was to get this truck running for my wife as a "home depot" runner. Not a beauty queen, we call it Black Betty. But, I am more concerned about safety issues, driving issues, that sort of thing. I can wrench on it during the weekends, but wanted some insight from you knowledgeable folks.

Last edited:
Offer $750. Point out that the rear shocks aren’t even connected and to get it driveable will take time & $$$.

Parting the rig will yield much more than that. Have you looked at the engine at all? Start up, trans shifts into gear smoothly?

If it’s just the issues with the shock cross support and inner c channels then those can be fabricated / replaced if you have access to a welder and have the time and inclination.

I do have a friend who is an accomplished fabricator, so frame repair is not far fetched. Really a matter of $$$.

The truck does not run currently. I was looking over the engine, but when I saw the cross support and the back frame area, I stopped for MUD consulting.

I should have clarified also, I already own the truck. I bought for $1500, I think my original post was misleading. I got it with the intention of either making it work for my wife, or parting out/supplying parts for my FJ60 that I might be able to use. But upon further inspection, having found these questionable areas, I needed advice.

If the PO is honest, the motor is strong, but the truck isn't pretty.

It’s bought but not running... interesting. I bought a sight unseentruck once for $1500. Ran SOLID but the door panels literally flapped and the truck dropped rust bombs off on my friend following behind for the hour drive. Was hilarious. I flipped it fast cuz the rust made me too anxious around my young son. Looking back I kick myself for ditching it so quick.
Get it running then see how you feel. If it’s for her, that cross support definitely has to get fixed right. The inner C rear frame is ugly but not horrific.

Parts truck, are you guys serious?? I don't see a single issue in those pictures besides the rear shock mounts and that's a relatively common issue, they pack with debris and the steel is too thin from the factory.
Fix that and I don't see any other indication that that frame is bad. This forum is getting lazy

The interior on that thing is way nicer then mine besides the dash!

Yes, this was a sight unseen (other than photos) deal. My wife and I went into it together agreeing it was going to be a project, or parts truck.

Appreciate you all shooting me straight.

I believe I am going to try a few things to see if the motor will run. If so, then holler at my friend about some fab work. I love Landcruisers, just recently joined this community, and would hate to give up on this one too quickly.

Parts truck :rolleyes:

Do some reading on here and you'll be able to make that run. It's probably something dumb like the EFI relay, fusible link for the EFI, bad ground somewhere, or something easy like that. You'll get it.

Fix the rear shock mount, do a SOA throw some 35" tires on there and you have a great trail rig. A parts truck is one less 60 driving around.

Parts truck, are you guys serious?? I don't see a single issue in those pictures besides the rear shock mounts and that's a relatively common issue, they pack with debris and the steel is too thin from the factory.
Fix that and I don't see any other indication that that frame is bad. This forum is getting lazy

The interior on that thing is way nicer then mine besides the dash!
Totally agree.

Parts truck :rolleyes:

Do some reading on here and you'll be able to make that run. It's probably something dumb like the EFI relay, fusible link for the EFI, bad ground somewhere, or something easy like that. You'll get it.

Fix the rear shock mount, do a SOA throw some 35" tires on there and you have a great trail rig. A parts truck is one less 60 driving around.

I’m with him. Save it.

It runs.

So, further assessment yields:

Transfer case issues. Stick won't budge. Cannot shift into Neutral, H2, or L4.

Shaky steering wheel. Less so when transmission is in neutral. I can shift through all the gears, will reverse and drive forward. The 4H button lights up, but cannot tell if it engages.

Any ideas on T-case?

Last edited:
Video link isn’t working. @mwebfj60 rebuilt his... no sweat.

Thanks! I think I fixed the link.

I am willing to rebuild, and I know MUD will be an excellent resource.

I am going to do some more wrenching next weekend, have to throw the towel in for today.

On side note, I also realized that when buttoning everything back up this afternoon, I had unplugged plug wire #6, and forgot to plug it back up.,. so it was running with out a cylinder firing. Maybe that would account for the shaky steering wheel.

I see it now. Hopefully someone will chime in. I know nothing of autos. Looks like a decent truck tho. When was the last time it drove? Do the P.O. say? First and foremost check your fluids. Stuff might be pretty sludgy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom