Speedometer Problem - tried VSS replacement, no help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Speedometer Problem - tried VSS replacement, no help. Last week the speedo began randomly fluttering occasionally, increasing in how often until it began having problems after about 5 miles where it eventually goes to zero. Once, it died at a stoplight after about 50 miles from cold start but restarted easily although the OD Off light began flashing and idle was rough - but no repeat since that one time even after it goes to zero now. Sitting overnight or at work seemed to "restore" function temporarily. I just installed a used VSS from Cruiserparts.net and the problem remains.

What I've read so far suggests the speedo board in the instrument cluster may be the next likely culprit; will probably order up a used one on Monday. Any thoughts an any links you've seen or watch outs on pulling a gauge cluster from the '94? I also read about checking the plastic gear the VSS interfaces with, but it just doesn't seem like that could be a sit-and-fix-itself-then-go-bad part, electronics seem more likely [to me at least].

Check harness grounds in the engine bay. I had a similar problem that was a loose ground.

Had the speedo cluster replaced in my 94...did the trick!

You can get the internals from any 93-97 and swap the speed portion. If you search my username you will find how to match your mileage.

If you replace the whole cluster you will need a 94. Not sure if 93 will matchup as I didn't have one to compare but later years dash lights are different eventhough it plugs up.

Easy job and I had the same issue along with trip odo stopping at around 4.5.

Let me know if you have questions

Check harness grounds in the engine bay. I had a similar problem that was a loose ground.
Thanks - where's the ground in the engine bay?

There are 3 if I remember 2 on the fender and 1 on intake manifold on the driver side more other places. SMine isn’t oem anymore can’t recall 4 years back when removed. EWD has specifics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom