2850 or 2850J (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
cannabisforcolorado.com
Not sure if I should run with the 2850 or the 2850J

The J spring looks to be about 3/4 of a inch taller.

Will it work fine with the caster correction bushings?

Thanks

Edit:
2850J front and 2863 rear.
Anyone see any drive line issue with this set up?

Last edited:
In my experience, 850J fronts are too tall for just caster bushings. I have 850Js with Slee plates (with stock bushings in the arms) and it's right on for caster, although I did have to smooth about 1/8" off of the tops of the radius arms for tie rod clearance.

I have 863 rears along with the 850J fronts, and there are slight vibes from both driveshafts. for the front, I built a double cardan drive shaft, and while it is better than stock, it still vibes a bit. It's tough to find the sweet spot for a front driveshaft simply because any adjustments for caster/pinion angle are almost impossible to fine-tune, and you can't adjust pinion angle without affecting caster and vice-versa. In the rear, adjustable upper arms would let me adjust pinion angle to get rid of the vibes with the stock shaft, but I simply haven't gotten around to them yet.

Not sure if I should run with the 2850 or the 2850J

The J spring looks to be about 3/4 of a inch taller.

Will it work fine with the caster correction bushings?

Thanks

Edit:
2850J front and 2863 rear.
Anyone see any drive line issue with this set up?
850J with 863 is one of the most popular spring combinations. There have to be hundreds (if not over a thousand) threads on this. At least 2 in the FAQs. (the complied suspension thread, and the link within a link for modifications) With that many threads, and the dozens of posts in each thread, you can find most possible answers. There will be some who say bushings will allow enough caster correction to be drive-able. (Bushings will NOT correct J springs to factory caster.) Plates, or drop brackets, or new arms would be required. If you install plates, there are people who have no further issues, and those who needed custom driveshafts to resolve vibrations.

So you'll see answers saying it's cheap and easy, and some saying it costs thousands to use J springs safely with no issues, and everything in between. Whatever answers you get in this new thread, YOUR answer will be whatever it is. You'll know when you install.

The short answer to "Anyone see any drive line issue with this set up?" is yes.

Wonderful! Thanks to all. Big help.

This is my first build in many years so I am going to take baby steps.
Run with the 2850 and 2863 for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom