h55f notchy 2nd and 3rd gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I have a bj70 1985 3b with the h55f and i had an issue of jumping out of fifth so i did a rebuild and it fixed the issue. I also changed 3rd 4th and 5th syncro rings keys and all and I was having this issue before and i still am after the rebuild, that when cold 2nd and 3rd gear feels notchy it dosnt grind just feels like resistance and notchy.

once it warms up the 2nd gear become normal and third becomes alot better but still does it sometimes one in 20 shifts it will go in very smooth and normal.

is this just the way a h55f shifts? will it cause unnecessary wear if i keep driving like this?

I am using nulon semi synthetic oil http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Ge...anual_Gearbox_and_Transaxle_Oil/#.VI6QwPmSyBQ

Does anyone have these symptoms?

Thanks!

Look at adjusting / lengthen clevis on booster/clutch pedal, in order open the clutch a fraction more to allow a smoother change, worked for me.
Cold shifts/notchy is standard .....when she warms up, it should settle down, if all is working as it should

Sounds like your gearbox is pretty normal but try the clutch adjustment as Oldtoy pointed out. I drove a few 75 series with the H55F when they were new and there is always a bit of notchy shifting.
Just wern't made for soccer mums

thanks sounds reassuring that im not harming the box

i have clutch pedal adjusted for max travel

i was wandering if trying gl4 oil will help i have heard castrol vmx-m (75w-85) help cruiser boxes i have also found this stuff aswel which is quite thin says help reduce notchy shifting so you think this is okay to use? any bad side effects of too thin of a oil?

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Ge...anual_Gearbox_and_Transaxle_Oil/#.VI7MLvmSyBQ

what type of oil is supposed to be in there by toyota? gl4 or gl5?

also does anyone have a repair manual for a bj70 in a pdf?

Thanks!

I use the castrol,multi trans 75-90
Also look at re bleeding your clutch, or if really motivated try and lengthen piston screw on the cabin side of your booster
FSM calls for a 90 Grade lube for gearbox
Put some 75-85/90 in her, then I would def re bleed your clutch line to ensure that is filled up tip top, if still notching when warm, move onto booster screw thread on booster, (cabin side)

Ive been using the Castrol VMX ,I dont think anything else will work better.

Resurecting this thread. I’ve got about 500 miles on my H55F. Replaced clutch and slave, power bled system and then adjusted master and slave to FSM. Still really notchy with occasional grind. I put the rear up on jack stands to see if clutch was full disengaging and it was (no wheel turning when clutch depressed to floor). However when goin from neutral to gear with clutch depressed I did note the wheels spin about a quarter turn and come to stop. Is this normal? I would expect no movement until I let the clutch out. Thoughts?

I should add a little more to the story. I have a unicorn top plate from 82-84 BJ 42 and had to have to two custom parts made (no longer made) for the shift linkage in the top plate. These could be the culprits.

I’ve always found second to be notchy when cold. My dad even taught me when growing up to drive a BJ70 because we lived on the top of a hill to go in first and skip second first thing in the morning and go straight to 3.
I still drive them like that when cold anyway.
Never force them into gear so to speak. Let the synco do its job

However when goin from neutral to gear with clutch depressed I did note the wheels spin about a quarter turn and come to stop. Is this normal? I would expect no movement until I let the clutch out. Thoughts?

Sounds normal. Clutches never fully disengage 100%. You could probably stop that movement with your hand.
When you say 500 miles, is that a new or rebuilt gearbox?
I always take off in 2nd unless its a tight spot or steep hill. These gearboxes are always a bit clunky but its a bit hard to say if yours is normal. If its mainly when its cold I would say its normal.
Hard to say about the custom parts without seeing them.

Best gear oil I have found for H55F is Redline MT-90 MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil

Don't know if that will help with your specific issue, however I noticed a big difference with shifting when I switched to the MT-90.

hth's
gb

Last edited:
Sounds normal. Clutches never fully disengage 100%. You could probably stop that movement with your hand.
When you say 500 miles, is that a new or rebuilt gearbox?
I always take off in 2nd unless its a tight spot or steep hill. These gearboxes are always a bit clunky but its a bit hard to say if yours is normal. If its mainly when its cold I would say its normal.
Hard to say about the custom parts without seeing them.
Thanks for the response, brand new H55F purchased in 2016 from American toyota.

Best gear oil I have found for H55F is Redline MT-90 MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil

Don't know if that will help with your specific issue, however I noticed a big difference with shifting when I switched to the MT-90.

hth's
gb
Thanks for the oil reccomendation. I ran the box about 200 miles then changed to MT 90. Had a few metal shavings from break in but all looked good. I’ve heard overfilling these tranny’s will cause notchy Behaivor so I may let a little more oil out. Hard because this oil is so pricey!

I’ve always found second to be notchy when cold. My dad even taught me when growing up to drive a BJ70 because we lived on the top of a hill to go in first and skip second first thing in the morning and go straight to 3.
I still drive them like that when cold anyway.
Never force them into gear so to speak. Let the synco do its job
Interestingly enough I drove it this weekend and took your advice. Not force it but Delayed shifting from one gear to another by about 3 seconds or so and it seems to slide in a little easier, I still feel the notch but it’s smoother. Still doesn’t feel as if the tranny is spoiling down quick enough and I’m jamming it into gear

Take your time. I found the 1st to 3rd thing helped first thing in the morning.
My next stop was a slight downhill so usually by then id just start by second.
At a complete stop its not an issue.

Ive tried Amsoil MTG and it helped a bit with the shifting.

Does it get better as it warms up? I find a half second delay between gears works. They are an old fashioned gearbox built for longevity rather than a satisfying driving experience.

My H55 was brand new from a crate and has been notchy since day one. It's worse when cold, but otherwise I just roll with it. No grinding when shifting, so I don't sweat it. Remind myself that I'm basically driving a road-worthy tractor (85 60 w 2F/H55 combo). Heck it take 30-45 sec of cranking w the choke on in the cold weather to even get the engine to start. A notchy transmission is part of the "charm" I suspect. Kinda like driving in the slow lane up hills on the hwy.

Hi guys thought i would chime in, since my original post ive changed the oil to something slightly thinner, im using castrol vmx with a nulon g70 addative and the gearbox feels much better. Has slight notch when cold but is mostly gone when warm.

I have realised that even when warm it depends on how you shift sometimes you will get a slight notchiness feel going into third or second whereas other times its smooth.

i think this is the best it will get considering its not built for a passenger vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom