80 series blue fan clutch on a 60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CaptClose

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a new spare blue fan clutch for my 80 series cruiser. I’m replacing the water pump in my 60 and was wondering if I can swap the new FC in at the same time. They appear to be physically compatible. Has anyone done this? Couldn’t find anything on search.

Quick search shows it as a heavy duty type clutch. Expect it to stay engaged longer. Two things will be obvious, lower mpg's and a lot more noise. If it isn't overheating where you live with A/C on I'd avoid it.

Quick search shows it as a heavy duty type clutch. Expect it to stay engaged longer. Two things will be obvious, lower mpg's and a lot more noise. If it isn't overheating where you live with A/C on I'd avoid it.

I’m running warm, but not overheating. The WP has a slight leak, so I’ll see if replacing that helps. As far as the FC goes, im just trying to cheap out and use parts I have on hand. Maybe that’s not the best idea haha. Thanks Casey.

Absolutely Ryan, after getting the A/C working on my 60 it immediately began to over heat and vaporlock on any day above 90°. I tried timing, heat shields but it wouldn't cure the problem. Went to an extreme duty fc on the SBC and it cured it. It got real loud at cruising speed and the milage really took a dump. Something like 50 less miles a tank, OUCH! Swapped back to regular duty clutch now that the temps are down and my milage is back to about 14mpg. A custom deep fanshroud is in the works for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom