Introdution and electronic issues :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI there. Introduction * (cant edit the title i guess )

New LC guy here , found a nice clean 2000LC with 284k miles, pretty much stock, no navigation system, 1 owner and pretty good records of all the maintenance done , so i pulled the plug since i grew up with FJ40 and 60 series as well as old land rovers (my dad loved these cars) .. Loving the truck so far.

Long story short, got it inspected and tagged and straight to the shop to get new timing belt, heater Ts, water pump, thermostat , radiator hoses , change fuilds, etc. Also got new clear lense blinkers, my running boards removed and torsion bars adjusted. But before this i had taken it to get a new stereo system and changed the head light bulbs for LEDS (these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LNNFQAC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) as well as blinkers ( these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076YVC7N6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

So, everything was great and running fine, but this week one of my blinkers stopped working (old bulbs) and now my stereo and ac unit started going off and on.

I just dropped the truck at the stereo shop to see if they can trace the wires and see if they can find a short somewhere in there.

Any ideas or has anyone had this issue before. Really appreciate the help as i am pretty sad that everything was going well and now i have this issue :(

Some pics of when i got the truck , during the carpet and back seats cleaning process and after the lil changes.

IMG_0332.jpeg

IMG_1059.jpeg

IMG_1008.HEIC.jpeg

IMG_1065.jpeg

IMG_1003.HEIC-1.jpeg

Did it rain recently? I know people have electrical issues with bad windshield installations. Water seeps behind the dash and can cause things to go haywire.

If so, I'd let it dry out and see if it's all back to normal. If so, then take it in to get the windshield installed properly.

Actually yes, it has been raining like crazy here for the last month. (Dallas) , but i do not see any leaks. To my knowledge the windshield has not been removed or replaced.

try pulling the rear cargo panel back off, drivers side, and check the plug inside near the last pillar, before tailgate. It can get water on it from the vent above, and cause serious resistance probs.

You want these headlight bulbs OPT-7.com

You will not see the water leak from a leaking windshield or sunroof drain. The water runs behind the interior trim.

A clogged sunroof drain will also cause all sorts of electrical issues too.
That was the problem I had, drain was clogged and water was running down the outside of the drain tube and dripping onto a computer behind the passenger kick panel.
DRL's stayed on all the time, dash was live all the time, HVAC fans stayed on. Windows were powered. Couldn't lock it or the alarm would sound at random.
All of this with the key in my hand. Would run the battery dead in no time.
Used compressed air to clear the drain, once truck dried out the problem was gone.

I heard you can use weed whacker cord to clean out sunroof drains too....

Have you ever tried to push anything which weed whacker line? It does not work. You have to use compressed air.

I used steel cable from the hardware store you can buy by the foot, it's quite rigid when pushing straight on but still flexible enough to fish through the lines.

You want these headlight bulbs OPT-7.com

You will not see the water leak from a leaking windshield or sunroof drain. The water runs behind the interior trim.

A clogged sunroof drain will also cause all sorts of electrical issues too.
That was the problem I had, drain was clogged and water was running down the outside of the drain tube and dripping onto a computer behind the passenger kick panel.
DRL's stayed on all the time, dash was live all the time, HVAC fans stayed on. Windows were powered. Couldn't lock it or the alarm would sound at random.
All of this with the key in my hand. Would run the battery dead in no time.
Used compressed air to clear the drain, once truck dried out the problem was gone.

Where is the sunroof drain ? any pics of it by any chance ? I have a compressor so i can do this without a problem and hopefully this would help. Thanks for help btw.

Open up the sunroof, they are on either side in the front corners, can't miss them. I poured warm water in the drain pan when I was done to ensure proper drainage. You'll understand this when you look at it, not complicated at all.

Open up the sunroof, they are on either side in the front corners, can't miss them. I poured warm water in the drain pan when I was done to ensure proper drainage. You'll understand this when you look at it, not complicated at all.

What he said.
There are four drains, one at each corner.
Now that I know these trucks have this problem I pour water down mine twice a year to make sure they're clear.

More than likely it's a faint amount of water. Also buy some electrical cleaner and hit those fuse boxes. I think a methodical tracing of the wiring is probably the best idea so you're on the right track.

Here's what you need to know about the wiring. If you could just outright replace it, you might do that, and I say that because decent speakers will tax the wiring if you upgrade the amp, so they're gone anyway. Now that you've stripped that carpet, go look at some of my stereo threads and do the sound deadener(option) and rewire it.

One of my big regrets it that I didn't do a comprehensive tear oout of the stereo system wiring. I did everything else and built a harness for adding two subs and and the sound is good, but I wish I'd gone the extra mile.

If you're in the DFW area, gimme a shout and I'll show you what I did.

Thank you guys for the suggestions .. i will try to clean the drains and check on everything else and will advise if any more issues.

:)

Updates....
I had explained the issues to the stereo shop and asked them to re-do all the cables for it and eveyrhing is working now. This week i am going to make time to clean the sunroof drain holes as well. Then going to remove the 2 front seats and console to clean the carpet as well as under the consol and hopefully add a couple of USB ports (front and back) and see if i can fix the BRAKE light which is ON all the time, so maybe clean the contacts under the consol to see if it goes away.
One thing , my ABS light came on now :( .
Thanks everyone for your comments/suggestions again.

Nice looking truck (esp for the miles). Keep your head up, once the minor things are sorted out youll be fine. And if you need to replace parts (that may be worn out after 285k), at least youll know and raise the reliability from there. Make sure you buy oem whenever possible. And if you are taking it places to have others work on it for you, try to find and keep an decently honest mechanic who knows cruisers well and you can eventually trust.
I like the clear sidemarkers as well btw.

Those clear sidemarkers look great. Where did you find them? I haven't been able to find a source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom