Kali Precision CB mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Don’t buy it. This is after less than a year. Thankfully I didn’t let it sit rusting away any longer. Also I couldn’t even use the “bottle opener feature” because it was at the wrong angle when installed. That’s actually the most upsetting part of it. I tried to contact them about this, but I think the site is gone.

27D90C89-3960-4F8E-984A-0C21738A6B70.jpeg

C6899A51-0F7D-4765-86C0-93F4B6F8030D.jpeg

9B9AE48C-5EF9-43F1-A6F8-C8EADAA0B8CB.jpeg

7942CD53-2C96-4406-889A-4076FA50FF9D.jpeg

Considering that you should have electrical connectivity between the antenna and the vehicle (you're going to have get to bare metal to do this) it seems that KP made a mistake by not using stainless steel for their mount.

Considering that you should have electrical connectivity between the antenna and the vehicle (you're going to have get to bare metal to do this) it seems that KP made a mistake by not using stainless steel for their mount.

If the CB antenna cable is shielded coax, then the cable, not the mounting bracket provides the ground connection. I don't know what cable is used though. Still, lots of rust in a short time.
Good luck,
Dave

Last edited:
If the CB antenna cable is shielded coax, then the cable, not the mounting bracket provides the ground connection. I don't know what cable is used though. Still, lots of rust in a short time.
Good luck,
Dave

I was taught to ground the antenna/mount whenever possible. Maybe it's more important for ham, than it is for CB, but I think it would still apply.

I was taught to ground the antenna/mount whenever possible. Maybe it's more important for ham, than it is for CB, but I think it would still apply.

Yeah, me too, but the antenna coax is connected to the chassis ground of the radio. It's much easier to ground the radio inside the car, where bare metal is protected from water and rust. I'm sure a true expert could enlighten me, (us?).
Thanks,
Dave

Yeah, me too, but the antenna coax is connected to the chassis ground of the radio. It's much easier to ground the radio inside the car, where bare metal is protected from water and rust. I'm sure a true expert could enlighten me, (us?).
Thanks,
Dave

I'm all for "easier", but just because it's "easier" doesn't always make it "right".

( From Firestik® Antenna Company Powder Coated Mounts )
We have had conversations with the manufactures of popular Jeep mounts (taillight, tire carrier] regarding their powder coated antenna mounts. Our suggestion … mask around the mounting holes and the antenna stud mounts 1/2” hole before the coating is applied so bare metal is exposed. Alternately, include in the instructions the need for the mount to be grounded to the vehicle AND that the antenna stud or coax cable MUST have access to chassis ground through the mount or the antennas system WILL NOT WORK.

You MUST have a chassis ground path. I repeat, you must have a chassis ground path. And, to eliminate a false reading through the radios circuitry, you MUST verify the chassis ground path with the coax cable disconnected from the radio.

Thanks. Sounds like they have definite requirements. By "easier" I meant in will be difficult to make a durable, corrosion-free connection in an exterior location. Grounding the coax to the radio chassis occurs in a dry protected and area, and will be a long lasting connection. Apparently, that is not good enough.
Thanks,
Dave

With all respect for the Firestick Antenna Company, there must be something unique going on with automotive antennas. I have a ground plane or monopole FM antenna in my living room which is connected to my receiver by a coax cable. There is no metal shell to my house to provide a ground, just the coax, and it works great. I am not questioning Firestick's statement, I just wish I understood why a dual ground is desirable, and even necessary in vehicles.
Thanks,
Dave

At tis point, I don't know why anyone uses CB anymore. If I hadn't put one on years ago, I wouldn't have one. GMRS is absolutely far superior in every way and you can get a pair of handhelds for like $60.

At tis point, I don't know why anyone uses CB anymore. If I hadn't put one on years ago, I wouldn't have one. GMRS is absolutely far superior in every way and you can get a pair of handhelds for like $60.
Yes, I agree. But secondary comms is never a bad idea.

Rock with a note attach will get more attention than a CB these days
I spent 24 hours driving up and down the east coast recently and was stunned by how little even truckers use CBs now. I honestly thought mine wasn't working, but then I'd occasionally hear something. Not sure what they use instead now.

I spent 24 hours driving up and down the east coast recently and was stunned by how little even truckers use CBs now. I honestly thought mine wasn't working, but then I'd occasionally hear something. Not sure what they use instead now.

Rocks:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom