Starter Issues...Go Figure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted yesterday that I was having my starter reworked because basically the pig wouldn't crank and the starter was slowing down and getting hot.
I took the starter to a very reputable auto electrical shop and they replaced the contacts and plunger.
I put the starter in today and hook everything backup and NOTHING! All I get is a solenoid click. I called the shop and he told me to check my ground. I did, looks exactly like it did two days ago.
Any suggestions.

Might check your hot cable. Sometimes it will corrode inside the covering. Had it happen on a couple different vehicles.

Put a gear reduction starter in they work better and don’t struggle as much to start the engine.

For testing, run a decent gauge wire from the battery directly to the starter for ground. I had an idea like that in a Tahoe I used to own where the engine ground wasn't enough. Ran a 12 gauge wire to the bolt that holds the starter to the block and never had another issue

you can bypass the existing battery cables with a set of jumper cables. it's an easy test. I had a positive cable all corroded about 2" from the end but it looked fine. once I ran the jumper cables I figured out the issue and replaced the cable. cut the old one open and discovered a nice green mess under the insulation.

Mini starters with good cables are the best. Plus it will sound like a P51 mustang motor starting.

Mini starters with good cables are the best. Plus it will sound like a P51 mustang motor starting.

IMAG00121.jpg

For testing, run a decent gauge wire from the battery directly to the starter for ground. I had an idea like that in a Tahoe I used to own where the engine ground wasn't enough. Ran a 12 gauge wire to the bolt that holds the starter to the block and never had another issue
I used a 12 gauge wire and went from the positive post straight to the hot connection on the starter. Got nothing. I'm going to pull the starter and have it tested at the shop that replaced.

Pull it apart and see what the rotor assembly looks like and check the magnets inside the housing. If there’s any debris or broken chunks of magnet, it won’t spin.
All of that should have been taken care of when I had it rebuilt.
Taking it back tomorrow to get it checked again and tested. I've ruled out every possibility on my end. Has to be the starter.

Have you done a voltage drop test when cranking? You’ll need help but it’s the only way to really tell...

I have a hard time believing a place that still rebuilds starters didn’t get it right and bench test it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom