Play in shifter, gear selector, in Drive (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2005 LC Auto. In Drive and in 3, there is a good amount of play in there gear selector. Probably a half an inch up and down combined. If I shift from N to D just right, it doesn't go into D, it goes into 3 and I have to give it a wiggle to get it in D.

I've taken the assembly apart, and there does not appear to be any movement to the linkage itself. This all appears to be in the joint where the shifter connects to the linkage. It looks like I could remove the pin and replace it with a bolt and unlock nut, but then I wonder if I will have issues shifting through the other gears, as right now, the others have very little play and feel correct.

Anyone have similar issues or a fix?

Bumping my own thread, this is not a critical problem of course, more of an OCD battle really. I just hate the feel of a sloppy shifter.

I’m about to tear the center apart again and fix this once and for all. Does anyone else have this excessive play in the shifter in Drive?

In the course of my interior clean out and P0705 diagnosis, I learned about the Transmission Range Sensor or Park/Neutral Switch, which ever term you prefer.

I was able to significantly reduce the play in my shifter.

First step is dissembling the shifter, and adding a small washer to the base where the pin connects the lever to the linkage before it leaves the vehicle.

Then, once reassembled, adjust the linkage between the shifter and the rod that connects to the transmission so that the shifter falls into gear right where you want it to.

From there, check your dashboard indicator and ensure it is registering the right gear. If it’s out of line a bit, it will turn blank. This means you need to adjust the Transmission Range Sensor or Park/Neutral Switch.

The switch is located on the passenger side of the transmission just above the front drive shaft. There is a bolt on the upper right that when you loosen, gives you some adjustment. This is what makes the car register the correct gear. While the trans will go into the right gear, car doesn’t know it because the switch isn’t triggered since it’s out of adjustment.

Pics soon...

+ 3 for posting and responding to your thread, solely. This will surely help someone...sometime.

Thanks. Lol. It’s funny, with what a detail oriented forum this is, that no one else had the issue. I guess we all have our details.

i had the same problem and i ordered a shift linkage bushing.

i based my repair on a 4runner repair write up.. just a warning - its a lot of work to pull out the shifter just match the gear but here it is:

Screenshot_20190926-180735_Gallery.jpg

i think these are parts i used but i bought alot of parts i didnt end up using.. its mainly the shift control shaft.. the plastic bushing wear out on them
Screenshot_20190926-181134_Gallery.jpg

Ah perhaps the bushing would get my final bit of play out of there. Thanks.

Thanks for posting this! The shifter in our 2004 LX470 has always felt a little "loose" or had some slack compared to our '00 LC (although they have different styles of shifters), but the LX shifts into all gears just fine and the selector stays in gear, so I just assumed that it was normal or a slightly worn bushing...

I wonder if I simply need to replace the bushing/washer. Looks like a lot of work...

Regardless, THANKS

Lee

The bushing referenced in this post goes underneath the vehicle at the linkage. It seemed to me that most of my shifter play was in the level itself. Inside the light blue circle (upper) is where I added a washer.

06A80D42-4C77-4944-8895-62F04D455D44.jpeg

ah thats different than mines. i guess your 2005 shifter is a new style compared to my 2001 lx.

maybe 1st gen is more mechanical with the old 4 speed tranny and the newer lx with the 5 speed is electronic shift? anyways good to know.

I just replaced the pin with a bolt about the same size and cinched it up fairly tight. Almost all the play is gone now. Now to do the bushings below the truck! I have a clink noise every time I change gears.

I just replaced the pin with a bolt about the same size and cinched it up fairly tight. Almost all the play is gone now. Now to do the bushings below the truck! I have a clink noise every time I change gears.
We all do, we just don't talk about it:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom