$1500 and some duct tape (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.op-art.guru
Found this 90 FJ62 on CL and the price was right. It's got rust...quite a bit, and 240k miles. My original intent was to use it for parts, or part it out. However, after purchasing a new battery, it ran flawlessly on the 200 mile drive home. It has new tires (although cheap ones). So, I figure I will drive it as a winter beater until something major breaks, then will part it out.a

IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1553.jpg
IMG_1554.jpg
IMG_1556.jpg
IMG_1558.jpg

As you can see, every panel has rust, and the driver side front fender was damaged. The PO had a hay day with a grinder in his attempt to take off rust.

The interior is near mint, other than smelling quite musty. I believe there is/was a leak somewhere, and the drivers carpet stayed wet for quite some time...as the smell was almost unbearable and the drivers side seat bracket is rusty.

PO also threw in a new front fender that has been primed, two spare wheels, rear center caps, snake blinders and a box full of other random parts.

The truck was running great, and I had put about 500 miles on it...then the first issue arose.

Our pastors timing belt snapped on their Honda minivan, so I happily loaned them 'Blue Buster'. They were pulling out of the school parking lot and it died. Fired back up and then died again. So, they left him on the side of the road and texted me.

I decided to not spend much time there and had AAA haul it back to my house.

It cranks like crazy, but will not fire. I'm assuming no gas or spark. Replaced the fuel filter, but still have the same issue.
Next, I grounded the spark plug against the engine block, and there is spark, although a faint yellow, rather than blue. The spark plug I pulled looked about 20 years old.

So, my next plan is new plugs/wires/dizzy cap/rotor and see if that will allow it to run.

Score!!

Does that qualify as serious rust? I think I have seen way worse. Hope it keeps going for ya.

There is some fiberglass in there as well, in a couple spots. I may decide to practice my welding skills on it over the years, and a diy repaint when done.

If you have an extra coil and ignitor, try that.
Sounds like it might be an intermittent failure.
I have had a few Toyota coil/ ignitors display the same symptoms you are having.

Well, I now realize I never followed up with this thread. I replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter and coil/ignitor. Finally pulled the fuel line off the fuel filter and had the wife crank it. Sometimes fuel, sometimes not.

So, I figured the fuel pump was shot. The PO put an aftermarket fuel pump in that sits outside the fuel tank. The wires to the fuel pump had frayed. Sometimes, it's the easiest things. Re-wired the pump and she purred again.

I drove this truck all winter, without fail. Started up in -40 degree weather after sitting out all night. Other than the rust, it's a champ.

Last edited:
more importantly, how did did you fix the musty smell?

more importantly, how did did you fix the musty smell?

Well, it's about 95% gone. Left it closed up for a few days with 4 of the baking powder boxes that people use in the fridge. That at least made it bearable. Over time, I have kept them in there and rotated as needed. I still have them in there and it's good now.

The source of the leak is the windshield. When it rains, the wipers push the water into the a-pillar and it leaks from the grab handle. Need to figure out a simple way to seal that up.

windshield may be leaking in the bottom corner as well. You may be able to get a small tip under the gasket and squeeze some sealant in there on the body side and the windshield side.

You may want to pull up the carpet, let it all dry out and check for rust in the floor

By Michigan standards, that has no rust. I would check the frame (on a lift) carefully for rust, and go from there. The body looks very restorable, based on your photos. Nice find!

By Michigan standards, that has no rust. I would check the frame (on a lift) carefully for rust, and go from there. The body looks very restorable, based on your photos. Nice find!

Thanks!! Agreed, it's not terrible. The frame is solid. It has some scaling, but passes the screwdriver test, even the rear C channel is solid. One rocker has a large fiberglass patch, and the tailgate has a large fiberglass patch as well.

It's working on the engine that is an exercise in futility. I've broken a few bolts, most recently trying adjust the belts - snapped the head of the bolt off.

There is a reason my other 3 cruisers came from out of state. They are all rust free. Still on the fence whether to eventually fix this one up or drive it until it dies. I'm tempted to practice my welding skills and see what happens, because I absolutely love driving it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom