Pitman arm install help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey folks,

I am rebuilding my PS gearbox and cant find the match marks on the pitman arm. Its a bit corroded and im just not seeing them. Does anyone have a pic of what the match marks look like? I see them on the end of the sector shaft but i dont know where to look on the pitman arm.

Even a description would be helpful. Otherwise i plan to align the pitman arm by approximating the alignment using the gearbox thats on the truck now.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

-- Beej

Ill post a good tip for removal in hope that an install tip comes back to me:

Once you tighten the pitman arm puller down good and tight (i used an 18 inch breaker bar), all you need to do is give the arm a good whack with a hammer in the direction you want it to go. Popped right off.

The trickier part was stabilizing the box off the truck. I used the 4 bolt holes to sort of, "install" it onto a 4x4. I wrapped a tree saver strap around it to stop the pitman arm from turning to get enough leverage to tighten the puller. HTH!

Some time with a wire wheel revealed what was once lost. On what, when installed, would be the bottom face of the pitman arm, there are two scores radiating out from the ring where the splines are. Pretty much what youd expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom