FJ40 Color Code Chart (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi I've got a '78 fj40 that I bought in very stock condition, it is dune beige. The firewall and interior were original paint. The vin plate on the inner fender shows the paint code 416 ( dune beige). Any body got any ideas on why some of the color charts don't show that as an option?
Did anyone come up with anymore info on code 416 model years? I have a 1980 FJ40 original paint code 416. Production date of 11/79

Did anyone come up with anymore info on code 416 model years? I have a 1980 FJ40 original paint code 416. Production date of 11/79
416 Dune Beige was formally used until the end of 1980 production. It was not until 1981 that the 40-series sported the 464 Beige. .... The color charts shown at the beginning of this thread are not correct.

~Skydog

I'm updating charts all the time so your input is helpful!

I'm in the process of building new chart images from my new site here:
ImportArchive / Toyota Land Cruiser Touchup Paint Codes and Color Galleries

Your info has been integrated into the new chart. Thanks!
On the chart you present via this link, you still have the 416 & 464 beige screwed up. The change was at the beginning of 1981. And because of this, your chart may very likely be off on the other colors too. ~Skydog

Does anyone know what color this is? I do not see it and my 1977 fj40 does not have the tag on the fender. Is it sky blue?

Also the engine is a greeninish blue as well is that a standard color?

IMG_6476.JPG

IMG_6477.JPG

IMG_6478.JPG

IMG_6479.JPG

Last edited:
Someone probably painted your engine some form of light blue or Sky Blue at some point down the road, which the heat of the engine altered the color & baked most of it off. Your rig's body was originally 854 Sky Blue (which was also the only hue of blue during that time period).

IMG_6477b.jpg

~Skydog

I Scored This in the Trash Can @ The Toyota Dealership i was working @ the time as A Technician Circa. 1995

It has 126 Pages of paint codes & Color names in Year by Year Format Starting in 1971 - Mid 1980's ( 1980's section in back 1/2 of book )

Every LandCruiser Color Code & Color Name is side by side as shown below to refer to .........

DSCN5403.JPG
DSCN5404.JPG
DSCN5405.JPG
DSCN5406.JPG

DSCN5407.JPG

Did anyone ever find another option for 302 Shell White besides the old LIMCO brand referenced above?

My paint guy says he can't find it..

Did anyone ever find another option for 302 Shell White besides the old LIMCO brand referenced above?

My paint guy says he can't find it..

i looked in my entire book i posted photos above and there is NO mention of a Shell White #302 ?

sure about the color name and or code ?

let me know if i can help , that book refinishing guide is abut 100 pages

matt

The 2nd page of this thread 3rd photo show "T302 - Shell Ivory White" as the roofcap color.

There's also a couple of posts after the above referenced photo in this thread.

It is supposedly the correct OEM Toyota white paint color for the roof.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

The 2nd page of this thread 3rd photo show "T302 - Shell Ivory White" as the roofcap color.

There's also a couple of posts after the above referenced photo in this thread.

It is supposedly the correct OEM Toyota white paint color for the roof.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I've been reading everything I can find on colors for the last 5 years as I've been collecting parts and getting ready to paint my '74. (No way to preserve patina, replaced fenders and quarter panels, rear sill.) I'm not stuck on a period perfect resto, but I decided that if I liked OEM colors I would stick with those. The other day my body guys said it was "go time" on picking colors so I pulled the trigger on Nebula Green. For the roof, bezel and wagon wheels (I know they aren't accurate to the year but I got them dirt cheap and I like them) I told my body guy to try Shell Ivory, fully expecting him to come up empty with that color code. I told him Cygnus would be fine if we couldn't find the formula for Shell Ivory. Today he called to tell me that his paint guy had no trouble finding Shell Ivory but was worried that it would be more tan than I wanted.
I said "go for it" and this is what I got:
IMG_1118.JPG

Compared with a new-in-package shell ivory bezel below (borrowed pic). Keep in mind different light, different cameras, but I'm pleased as punch.
I'll try to get more details when I stop by the garage tomorrow. All I know right now is that it is single stage.

IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

Last edited:
@gericurl thanks for posting...that is TOYOTA Shell Ivory White?!?!?!

Going back earlier in this thread where people had never painted roof caps it certainly wasn't that dark of a white which appeared tan.

I've been searching for the last few weeks and there are "Shell Ivory White" and "Ivory White" color options out there but they are NON-Toyota colors by GM, Ford, etc.

You are sure the above color on the wheels was produced from a Toyota Shell Ivory White formula?

Looking at that NOS grille I have to think it is...

Maybe I just need to stay with Cygnus White. :/

Does anyone recognize this FJ40? I'm looking to paint my 42 a sage green and I found this picture online. I know it's a custom color and not factory but I'm wondering if this is a fellow Mudder or someone on here that knows them. I'd like to get the info on where it was done and what paint code they used.

@gericurl thanks for posting...that is TOYOTA Shell Ivory White?!?!?!

Going back earlier in this thread where people had never painted roof caps it certainly wasn't that dark of a white which appeared tan.

I've been searching for the last few weeks and there are "Shell Ivory White" and "Ivory White" color options out there but they are NON-Toyota colors by GM, Ford, etc.

You are sure the above color on the wheels was produced from a Toyota Shell Ivory White formula?

Looking at that NOS grille I have to think it is...

Maybe I just need to stay with Cygnus White. :/

I did not speak with the paint shop. My body guy told me "he's pretty good at tracking down colors". Everyone that see's it has the same reaction "Wow, that's darker than I was expecting." My wife was expecting a bright white and was grumpy about it for about an hour until I showed her some evidence I had gathered and a photoshop of how it will all look together. It's not white at all, but IMO it has an amazing vintage look to it. I was sanding my bezel and some of the re-spray white chipped off and the color underneath was almost exact. Also here is a pic I took at the LC Heritage Museum for one more bezel in the more-tan-than-white category:

IMG_2272.jpg

Does anyone recognize this FJ40? I'm looking to paint my 42 a sage green and I found this picture online. I know it's a custom color and not factory but I'm wondering if this is a fellow Mudder or someone on here that knows them. I'd like to get the info on where it was done and what paint code they used.
The color of this '78 is Toyota factory color : 6L4 'Light Olive.' ... PPG DCC line - code 47627

ete.png

Last edited:
The color of this '78 is Toyota factory color : 6L4 'Light Olive.' ... PPG DCC line - code 47627

6L4 was a bit lighter and a shade more yellow. I ended up finding who built the rig and it was a custom color he had made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom