ARB tent with Yakima Crossbars (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
Can the Simpson tent be mounted to the yakima bars? I'm not ready to buy a full rack, but I'm ready to buy the tent and I've got 4 yakima bars. I know it will be higher than needed, but will it work?

From memory the Yakima round bars are rated for 150lbs each dynamic load. That is contingent to the way attached to the vehicle and its rating. I generally recommend one yakima/thule bar per person rating of the RTT. The static load of someone sleeping the tent is a lot different than dynamic running down the HWY.

Hope that helps.

I am wondering same thing. I have a Simpson mounted to my trailer. I’d like to convert to Yakima bar mounting for easier swaps between trailer, 100 series and 4R ORP roof rails.

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago, found a Maggiolina locally but no rack. Too good to pass up so got it home on 2 Thule bars. I would guess you'd be fine too. Seems really secure up there. Bet they are about the same weight.

I used two thule bars for my Maggiolina Extreme. It handled it fine. I sure two Yakima bars would suffice, if you are
concerned, just add a third in the middle but I bet that's overkill..

I'm tending to agree with you. I've taken it out a time or two now and no sign of problems. So @cruiserpilot my only real concern with 2 is bending the gutters and or wrecking the seam sealer. Nothing to worry about?

I'm tending to agree with you. I've taken it out a time or two now and no sign of problems. So @cruiserpilot my only real concern with 2 is bending the gutters and or wrecking the seam sealer. Nothing to worry about?
On a 60? Nothing to worry about. Keep an eye on the wear, if you can try to keep bare metal rubbing from happening.

I ended up running this set up. The tent was fine, but you could see the 66" bars bow when weight was on them. I had a bigger problem with the plastic clamps on the yakima basket twisting and moving under torsional load, and the basket would move depending on which way the truck was moving. Not fun to have 300 lbs move side to side while the truck is leaning on a trail.

I'll be looking for a more serious rack system now.

Just to clarify for future readers. Your original post indicates 4 Yakima bars. Were all four under the tent? Your last post mentions a basket? Not sure if you’re talking about one of the big Yakima baskets? Do You put the tent on top of that? Or a small cargo basket mounted in front or behind the tent? And reference to 300lbs? No tent weighs that? So further explanation would be helpful. Did you ever play with the Yakima towers moving them in or out board to prevent the load bars from bending?

For the record I’ve had my Tepui Autana Ruggedized mounted to my home made rack with the standard Yakima round bar clamps, just 4, with no issue of any kind. I also have a small Yakima basket I can mount above the sunroof in front of the RTT. Again no issues. But everything is on my home made rack that uses 8 mounting feet from Gamitivi.com. I built the rack with 1.125” .o65 wall DOM. It’s proven itself rock solid with nearly 400lbs on it wheeling trails like Hole in the Rock.

Last edited:
Just to clarify for future readers. Your original post indicates 4 Yakima bars. Were all four under the tent? Your last post mentions a basket? Not sure if you’re talking about one of the big Yakima baskets? Do You put the tent on top of that? Or a small cargo basket mounted in front or behind the tent? And reference to 300lbs? No tent weighs that? So further explanation would be helpful. Did you ever play with the Yakima towers moving them in or out board to prevent the load bars from bending?

For the record I’ve had my Tepui Autana Ruggedized mounted to my home made race with the standard Yakima round bar clamps, just 4, with no issue of any kind. I also have a small Yakima basket I can mount above the sunroof in front of the RTT. Again no issues. But everything is on my home made rack that uses 8 mounting feet from Gamitivi.com. I built the rack with 1.125” .o65 wall DOM. It’s proven itself rock solid with nearly 400lbs on it wheeling trails like Hole in the Rock.

Two were on the tent, two on the basket. Tent mounted as far back as I can go to get the small load warrior basket to fit.

The tent was about 175 lbs and the front basket had 3 water jugs and two fuel cans, plus a weather proof box.

I didn't give much more thought to it. The tent is packed up til the next trip and the bars are off the truck for city driving. The tent never made any noises or moved on the rear bars, but its actually help with a real clamp and nylon lock nuts. Plus the frame of the tent probably adds a ton of rigidity.

All of my problems were with the front basket. If the clamps were a little bit heavier I don't think I'd have had any issues at all. I'd like to sell off all my yakima stuff and get into a bowfin cruisers rack that can basically stay on the truck year round.

B772FE75-53F5-408E-9519-5E8DC4806696.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom