LX Chrome wheels. Leave alone? Rattle can? Plasti-dip? Long-term results? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pyrenees

SILVER Star
Threads
Guys, I love the 16" size of the wheels on my 2001 LX 470, but it came with the optional chrome-plated factory wheels. They are "ok" in my book. Not the worst thing, but I was thinking ahead to the next time I get tires. Get the stock size? Get the BFG A/T? I dunno yet. It's a pavement queen and I haven't taken if off-road. Part of me wants to be careful about keeping it stock-looking, part of me wants to ditch the chrome and bump the tire size up a little. I am curious how bad the on-road NVH would be.

Anyway, I've read some threads here about plasti-dip versus spraypaint and they both seem to be approximately the same amount of trouble. Ideally I'd just want something quick when it's time for the next tire swap. It's my DD and I can't have it sitting for days with the wheels off. A weekend is probably fine.

For those of you who who refinished your wheels, what would you do again? What would you avoid? I'd rather just keep the chrome wheels than do something to them that ends up looking like like sh*t in two years. I want something that is going to last at least 5. If that means selling my chromies, I understand. I just want some opinions.

Thanks!

16”s over 18”s?

Chromies over something else?

Always comes down to what your intended use.

I sold my 100. It came with chromies. Eventually I found stock non chrome 16s. 285s KO2s. Done.

Spray paint will last longer and it looks better IMO. Plasti-dip is a paint to remove and it'll fade. I just put playing cards around the rim and spray painted my wheels gun-metal grey. Its been 7-8k miles since I painted, looks fresh as the day I did it. It all depends how many coats of paint and clear coat u spray on.

j3hNzEu.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom