New to me BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Full_Throttle

1985 BJ73 RHD
Threads
Just saying Hi. :)
I'm back baby!

A few years ago I sold my 1999 4 Runner. I loved that truck, but it was time to move on.

I have always been a land cruiser nut, so when I saw this BJ73 within an hour and a half of me I couldn't pass it up. A fellow Mud member was the previous owner.

It has the 3B with H55f. It is a fun little vehicle.

I am planning on changing out the front seats with something that isn't worn out, and eventually either adding a turbo to the 3B or possibly a V8 swap due to readily available parts for an LS....but that is for another time. right now I just want to drive it and have fun. This is now my daily driver.

Things that I need to do/ need advice.

1) Wilson switch
2) compression test - This thing has 340Km on it and it has lots of blow-by
3) figure out why the vent won't switch between floor/vent/defrost
4)fuel mileage was 18.5 MPG on the hwy..is this bad...good? I was hoping for better but who knows.

did I mention it takes me 30 minutes plus a tailwind to get up to 65 miles per hour :)

My long-term plans are to be able to drive to Colorado towing a small off-road trailer/tent combo and I KNOW this little 3B is NOT up to that task.

20180818_130735.jpg
20180818_130750.jpg
20180818_130803.jpg
20180818_130818.jpg
20180819_101244.jpg

Beautiful truck, congratulations. I don't know as much about the 3B as mine's a 1HZ, but your mileage figure doesn't sound terrible, especially if your motor has serious miles on it and may not be at peak efficiency. Others may have a better idea.

PS I too sold a similar year 4runner before buying mine, and I wish I'd just kept it and had two of the best trucks in the world :)

Congrats!

The 3B is a good engine, but a little low on power as you are finding out. A turbo would help a ton, but turboing a higher mileage engine might not be a great idea. A compression check will tell you a lot about that engine.

I'm not sure what a 3B gets on a stock truck, but those wide bigger tires are causing some issues for sure. Add in the lift bumper and winch and more weight and down that number goes. Some tall skinny 33's would help on the mileage for sure.

An LS swap would solve the power issue for sure but not be quite as cool. Options are turbo the 3B (if engine is good shape) rebuild engine and turbo (rebuild kits are too expensive) swap 1HZ or 14bt. LS swap.

Well guys like I said, that is a discussion for another day. :)

I am more concerned with the little things right now. I just noticed I have SOMETHING leaking coolant. I am afraid it is the water pump.

So it looks like I am going to have to replace the water pump, and figure out why my vent system doesn't change.

and figure out why my vent system doesn't change.

I would start by checking the flap mechanism in the upper passenger footwell.Its connected to the fan but not too hard to work on from memory

Things that I need to do/ need advice.

1) Wilson switch
2) compression test - This thing has 340Km on it and it has lots of blow-by
3) figure out why the vent won't switch between floor/vent/defrost
4)fuel mileage was 18.5 MPG on the hwy..is this bad...good? I was hoping for better but who knows.

These engines should do 500000 or more. Generally, because of the 4cyl lack of power, impatient drivers over rev them for extended periods.
There are lots Toyota turbo diesels that would fit in there and would reflect a better resale value.
Parts for Toyota diesels are not needed very often. In the past 6 years, I have only bought a water pump which gave me about 2-3 years warning.

The fuel economy could have been a little better, maybe 10% better. . They are at their best on bad roads at lower speeds.
Does it start easy on a cold start?

My old FJ73 had an identical interior and lighter version of the same paint as yours. I miss it dearly.

It does not start easy when cold. I suspect I have low compression, and I will be purchasing a quality compression tester soon.

I was able to fix my vents

The cable was off where it attaches to the mechanism that at the bottom of the heater. The slides were very stiff, so I applied some lithium grease and everything is working great now.

Re: the mileage question, I drove a 3B equipped Troopy with about 42k original miles on it from CA to CO and averaged just over 25mpg. That's all Interstate 80 at maybe 65mph. I get around 21 mpg in town. This truck starts easily warm or cold. A little smoke when it's really, really cold.

Just had compression checked on another 3B Troopy with about 155k miles on it. Just over 400 psi on all four cylinders, all within about 15 psi of each other. FSM says spec is 427 psi, minimum is 284 psi. That truck starts rough and smokes when cold, but runs great once it's been going for a minute or two.

I find the 3b to be just adequate and not more, but I'm running stock size tires and don't carry any extra weight to speak of.

Hello,

Nice truck. Congratulations.

Are those tires 35s? If so, your odometer might be off by 8 to 10%. This means you get around 20.4 mpg/32.8 km/gal. Not bad for a good old 3B.

You may want to do an engine overhaul (using OEM parts) and add a turbo like Onur / @beno did. The turbo will help when driving in high altitude.

Juan

[Double post]

[Double Post]

[Double post]

Nice, I kept looking at the for sale ad for this one and thought the paint/trim scheme was 1980's toyota genius!

Hello,

Nice truck. Congratulations.

Are those tires 35s? If so, your odometer might be off by 8 to 10%. This means you get around 20.4 mpg/32.8 km/gal. Not bad for a good old 3B.

You may want to do an engine overhaul (using OEM parts) and add a turbo like Onur / @beno did. The turbo will help when driving in high altitude.

Juan

Nice try, but nope.

They are 33" tires, and I have already confirmed that my odometer is off. I performed the calculations on the 1.5 hour drive home with it when I bought it based on my GPS speed and actual mile markers along the highway. I must multiply the Kilometers driven by 1.1 to get the actual KM driven, and then of course do the conversion to miles.

I ran a half a tank worth of gas fuel and checked my fuel economy yesterday and I am getting right at 18MPG. This is mainly country driving with very little Interstate. It's not horrible, but I am thinking (wishing) it could be better.

I am not complaining at all, I love driving this thing around town. It is fun. I like the attention.

So far I am pleased with my purchase. I totally dig the '80s look this thing has. It is faded, and a bit dinged up. I don't care at this point, its character. :)

I am hopeful that once I do the Wilson switch it will be easier to start. When the temps are in the 40's it isn't wanting to start, I am fearful of the truly cold weather ahead.

block heater has been installed. :)

Dont use the cheap ones....ask me how I know :)

I settled on the Kats 11411 block heater. It cross-referenced with the car quest part number that is floating around here on mud. Advance auto bought out car quest around these parts, and that car quest number wasn't available. So far the Kats 11411 has functioned well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom