Steel cable vs synthetic rope (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read a few articles on the pros and cons. We didn't have synthetic when I was young. All steel all the time. Any thoughts on which is the better overall. I don't use a winch much, but when I do I really need it.

I replaced the steel wire with synthetic in both winches that I currently have on different trucks. For me, the safety factor and light weight outweigh (no pun intended) the disadvantages of cost and durability. YMMV.

I have had and extensively used both.

Synthetic every single time is the answer in my opinion.
Pros:
Lighter
Stronger in same diameter
More flexible
Doesn't have metal splinters
Doesn't decapitate you when it breaks.
Can be spliced. Though I don't. It is, however, possible.

Cons:
Can melt on an internal brake winch in the right situation. I have never done it, but it's possible.
Abrades more easily. That's really the only thing that comes to mind. I just use protectors if I am going over or around something. Which you should be doing anyway.
That's really all that comes to mind on cons of a synthetic.

One thing. All synthetic line is not created equal. I prefer Amsteel or Viking. I am sure others can chime in with their preference. I have a Smittybuilt rope as well. I would not trust it in a maybe a lose a vehicle over a cliff pull, but overall,its been a good rope. Not nearly as well made as my Viking. Just way cheaper.

I grew up with steel wire as well but found out synthetic rope is better by a long shot, I would never go back to wire...dyneema amsteel SK75 is the rope to get...

It all depends on how much you use it and in what conditions, synthetic doesn't like mud and crud, also draging stuff on the ground its wear resistance is much lower, if you use it like i do aircraft cable takes alot more abuse,

For normal 4x4 stuff synthetic is much better, and if you need something you are going to abuse make some 6-8 foot slings out of aircraft cable.. and abuse them, on the end of the synthetic line.

Right tool for the job, what are you using the winch for is more of the question...

Remember mud and crud in the fibers of the synthetic will cause wear on the fiber, most industrial apps the use synthetic rope change it out every year or two..

Sorry, I still can't see the synthetic rope being worth the price premium over steel cable, unless it is on a competition rig where weight is all important, and the winch is used a lot.

For the occasional recreational 4wd user steel cable will be there, still usable, after 50 years of sitting in the weather; I doubt the synthetic rope will still be usable after years of exposure to the elements. And, as been mentioned, steel cable can handle a tremendous amount of abuse and can still be used.

My U.S. $00.02

Regards,

Alan

Wire rope is cheaper than synthetic, no doubt. But the problem with the 'occasional recreation 4wd user' is just that. Lots of average 4wd users are not very safety conscience, just look at the pictures from most any event, people standing right at the edge of the trail and well within the range of a broken/snapped/parted winch line - right in the death zone.

Synthetic on the other hand is ideal for such situations. Light weight and will basically just drop if it parts, no whipping around cutting people in two. As for sitting in the weather, a simple cover can be made to keep it from UV exposure.

Like anything else proper maintenance of either is the key to a long and useful cable life.

First off, the Golden Gate Bridge is made from steel cable and not synthetic cable.

I don’t care what brand of synthetic cable is on a winch pulling me over a waterfall, I would rather choose a rig with cable galvanized steel cable over synthetic any day.

Frankly if you are dissing syn rope.
A. You have never used or been around it.
B. You are winching retarded. There aren't many real reasons to drag your cable ever. Especially "over a waterfall". Odds are, you need a couple lessons in winch rigging. :rolleyes:

B. You are winching retarded. There aren't many real reasons to drag your cable ever. Especially "over a waterfall". Odds are, you need a couple lessons in winch rigging. :rolleyes:

The only thing synthetic that felt good were.....

With that said who knows where your Dyneema came from. I’ve seen videos of 3/8 Dyneema China crap brake at 11000 lbs. stuck in mud straight vertical lift, I know where and what steel is made from. Just like my coat hanger after my shower, It never fails with age.

Synthetic rope all day long. I will never go back to cable.

I have to disagree partly here. After really heavy use on my ATV, the WARN synthetic broke many times and I went back to wire.
No more breakage. But a truck would never see this kind of use or abuse. I do like using it though, especially when it's
really hot out.

Last time I winched with my 60 I did need a double cable pull over about 40' of broken granite to reach a tree that
was down the crest of the hill in front of me. This would have definitely damaged or frayed synthetic rope, let alone
dragging it there and back. It had full load pull with snatch block, with a fully loaded 60 dragging it down against the rocks.
This wasn't a waterfall, just a high water washout. Same thing without the water.
I won't be replacing the wire with synthetic any time soon.

Saying someone is winch retarded because they still are using steel cable is a bit narrow minded.

My wild guess is that most people use their winch 5 or less times a year., often times maybe once in 2-3 years. And a very high percentage of pulls are less than 10-20 yards. For a lot of these folks they can't warrant the extra cost of the syn line.

I've got two 8274's, each for 15+ years...and both have steel cables. Both with aprox 7-8 pulls a year and both steel cables are still in good shape. With my kind of use, if these lines were synthetic they definitely would have been replaced...at least once...due to wear and/or age, no doubt about it.

Synthetic line is good stuff, many of my wheeling buddies have it on their winches, but for some of us, steel cable fills the bill...and we aren't winch retarded.

Last edited:
That's not really what I said was it? Just like anything else, everything isn't for everyone. Is syn better for using on a more work than recovery winch, probably not.
My comment was generally at people and their head in the sand. "My grandpappy used steel cables and he said it's the best so that's all I ever use so **** you and your plastic rope"

Saying someone is winch retarded because they still are using steel cable is a bit narrow minded.

My wild guess is that most people use their winch 5 or less times a year., often times maybe once in 2-3 years. And a very high percentage of pulls are less than 10-20 yards. For a lot of these folks they can't warrant the extra cost of the syn line.

I've got two 8274's, each for 15+ years...and both have steel cables. Both with aprox 7-8 pulls a year and both steel cables are still in good shape. With my kind of use, if these lines were synthetic they definitely would have been replaced...at least once...due to wear and/or age, no doubt about it.

Synthetic line is good stuff, many of my wheeling buddies have it on their winches, but for some of us, steel cable fills the bill...and we aren't winch retarded.

Yep, I think that IS what you said. Exactly.

But I think we both agree, synthetic rope is fine, the only real downside is the xtra cost.

And I always try to keep my head above the sand.

Last edited:
Yep, I think that IS what you said. Exactly.

He didn't say someone is winch retarded if they are using synthetic rope. He said someone is winchING retarded if they are dragging their damn cable/rope all over the ground. The English language has subtle nuances.

Maybe...but I don't think either version is a fair assessment.

And I've been in more than one situation where the only way I could get up & over was to 'drag the damn cable/rope all over the ground'.

Last edited:
Maybe...but I don't think either version is a fair assessment.

And I've been in more than one situation where the only way I could get up & over was to 'drag the damn cable/rope all over the ground'.
I have never felt the need or desire to switch to synthetic. I've assisted those with synthetic and agree with the few advantages - light weight, ease of handling and safety if breaking. But, for reliability and longevity without having to nursemaid it - I just prefer the ruggedness of the wire rope. As for which is superior - I'd say that depends on the circumstances. Yeah, sometimes synthetic is superior, but it will never replace wire rope, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom